The Student Room Group

"you are pathetic if you need to drink alcohol to have a good time"

this statement really annoys me

I do drink, and when people say that so bluntly it is really distasteful. So let me put it out there, drinking isn't necessary, I agree. However drinking enhances all social situations - people become less stressed about school work, people are friendlier, people are more willing to talk to people they haven't met, people have the confidence to be themselves and enjoy their time.

It's almost like you're hanging out with your girlfriend/boyfriend. You could just do it at your house, or you could go on a daytrip to Paris. Sure, it's not 'NEEDED' but it makes everything a lot better. Perhaps if you're so picky about how alcohol isn't "needed" then how about eating lunch without a drink of water? its not needed is it?

So please, if you look down on alcohol for the above statement I would be willing to question whether or not you have actually ever gotten drunk

Scroll to see replies

Each to their own man
Original post by Adipoptosis
Each to their own man

you what mate
Original post by temporary_user
you what mate

Each to their own, man
Original post by Adipoptosis
Each to their own, man

great i rate

I do drink, and when people say that so bluntly it is really distasteful. So let me put it out there, drinking isn't necessary, I agree. However drinking enhances all social situations - people become less stressed about school work, people are friendlier, people are more willing to talk to people they haven't met, people have the confidence to be themselves and enjoy their time.

It's almost like you're hanging out with your girlfriend/boyfriend. You could just do it at your house, or you could go on a daytrip to Paris. Sure, it's not 'NEEDED' but it makes everything a lot better. Perhaps if you're so picky about how alcohol isn't "needed" then how about eating lunch without a drink of water? its not needed is it?

So please, if you look down on alcohol for the above statement I would be willing to question whether or not you have actually ever gotten drunk

I only ever see that statement on TSR, tbh. You have to remember that TSR attracts a rather unique sample of people. :p:
Original post by macromicro
Are you presently drunk?

no, i haven't had alcohol since xmas eve
Well it's not pathetic, but it's not great that someone needs a chemical of some sort to fill in a hole in their lives.

Yes i used to drink heavily because i didn't have much confidence. So why would i need to pay out money, slowly poison my body in order for an hour or 2 of enjoyment instead of improving myself to a point where i don't need a substance of any sort and endless enjoyment.

People don't really wanna improve themselves nowadays they'd either escape it with drugs or blame it on a racial or religious group of some sort.

Oh, editing removes all the rep. Damn it :/
(edited 9 years ago)
It's just what losers who have never had an opportunity to drink alcohol say.
Original post by Dean Ambrose
Well it's not pathetic, but it's not great that someone needs a chemical of some sort to fill in a hole in their lives.

Yes i used to drink heavily because i didn't have much confidence but why would i need to pay out money and slowly poison my body in order for an hour or 2 of enjoyment instead of improving myself to a point where i don't need a substance of any sort.

"hole in our lives" none of us have "holes" in our lives, we just want to have a great time, you can't have a great time as easily when people have got school work, stress and relationships on their minds can you?
Reply 10
A few more beers and bacon butties in the Middle East and the fighting would stop.
Lol I take it this thread is aimed at me because that's what I said in the other drinking thread. I stand by every word I said and will never take it back. You get on with your life, I'll get on with mine. :biggrin:
this statement really annoys me...

I've never been drunk, nor do I intend to anytime soon; although I do drink, whenever the mood strikes me, just a glass of wine or maybe cider with food instead of juice. Alcohol is not a necessity for me, at all; even if I go out with people who drink a lot, i'll still drink just a glass or two of something sweet and fruity (I hate beer lol). I don't really look down on alcohol; but I do look down on people who HAVE to drink to have a good time. Yes you may drink on a holiday or a weekend for fun; but is it really that necessary to drink every time you go out? If it is, then I don't think it's right you should try to do something about it. (Again, I'm not talking about a drink or two, I'm talking about getting like five or six drinks EVERY single time you go out)

Well than thats alot of pathetic people then.

You assume that it makes everything a lot better though. Perhaps it does, but the effects are always short-lived. Why don't people as such actually work on their personality and lifestyle flaws in order to feel more relaxed and not be so uptight all the time on a long-term basis. Secondly, why don't people relax and unwind through healthy fun methods such as sport/exercise, music, walking and general interaction with other people. Surely if people do this, when they find themselves in social situations they will feel way better in themselves rather than relying on the temporary state of euphoria that alcohol may give them, notwithstanding the negative effects on the mind/soul and body.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I agree we don't need alcohol it's a myth
Reply 16
Original post by al_94
I agree we don't need alcohol it's a myth
Bit I like getting pythed. :biggrin:

That's generally where the argument about them being pathetic comes in, some people see it as a sign of weakness if someone is unable to express themselves truly and confidently to other people without some sort of chemical intervention. I don't see it that way, people have anxiety issues for various reasons and we shouldn't judge them for it.

Personally I'll talk to strangers all day long and be myself to everyone I meet with or without alcohol, but if it helps people get along then that's up to them.
'you're pathetic and will have no social life if you don't drink' I could easily turn this around. Like someone else said, each to their own. Me, I don't like drinking for personal reasons
Original post by IanDangerously
That's generally where the argument about them being pathetic comes in, some people see it as a sign of weakness if someone is unable to express themselves truly and confidently to other people without some sort of chemical intervention. I don't see it that way, people have anxiety issues for various reasons and we shouldn't judge them for it.

Personally I'll talk to strangers all day long and be myself to everyone I meet with or without alcohol, but if it helps people get along then that's up to them.

well said :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending