The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
:lolwut:

By not answering the question you confirm my hypothesis and make yourself look silly.

Well I'm not going to say anything more because last time I did you got offended and reported me :teehee:

Have fun trolling :hat2:

I didn't report you actually. And I haven't confirmed or denied anything. I avoided answering. :wink:
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Actually, most top law firms, as far as I'm aware, are mostly populated by Oxbridge graduates. They may take other students, but it's somewhat of a rarity.

Most, but not all.

And not everyone wants to be a lawyer/ study law.

My auntie is a barrister and she earns a hell of a lot of money. She didn't go to Oxbridge.
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Good for you. Maybe you've got a good home life and not many responsibilities. And maybe you had good teachers who teach the course content properly.

Hardly. A C looks a lot worse than a B. A* and A grades are both very very good. It's not exactly the same. And ABB looks a lot better than BCC. C grades just don't look good.

Perhaps that's true for some, but not all. I doubt that EVERY top law firm and academic position can only employ/ be taken up by Oxbridge students. This is exactly the kind of Oxbridge snobbery I wouldn't be able to handle.

What do you define to be an academic position?

I'm sure my lecturers didn't go to Oxbridge.
Nice to know where your priorities lie...

That's the end result, though. You and others talk about making something of yourselves- she has. She earns enough to have the freedom to do what she wants, and enjoys her job immensely. She didnt need to go to Oxbridge.
Original post by Plastic Face
What do you define to be an academic position?

I'm sure my lecturers didn't go to Oxbridge.

I think you meant to quote Asexual Demigod instead?
I'd imagine it's not cheap for everyone.

Perhaps so, but is having that really worth tearing your hair out over getting A and A* grades? Not in my opinion. I don't think I'll need supervision, I probably wouldn't want it as I'm very independent.

Ooh, what a difference. Shocker, A* A A? Disgusting. (/sarcasm).

I mean- gasp- the odd B grade. I bet that'd make some noses turn.

If employers value other less academically pushy universities in as high a regard, why put yourself under that strain? If it's your type of thing, then sure. It certainly isn't mine. I love learning, but I don't cope well with extreme pressure.

Other universities offer very high standards of education too. You can get an excellent degree without it being Oxbridge.

There's a guy with an Oxford degree who has the same job as my dad. My dad got his degree from Cardiff.

Cambridge offer substantial aid to all students. On a personal level, I attend Pembroke College, and come from a financially disadvantaged background. I was a Free School Meals recipient at school, and my parents cannot really afford to help me out like some parents can. Between the basic government funding and the various things offered by the college I can afford to live comfortably (As in, highest price band accommodation, eat catered every day, go out occasionally if I like) and still save money over the course of the term. Don't underestimate the level of support there is; thanks to how generous the university is, money has never been a concern to me here.

And don't knock supervisions; no matter how independent you are you shouldn't say no to the opportunity to learn something one-to-one from a true expert in the field you're studying.

As for "if employers value other less academically pushy universities as highly...", you said it yourself: if. I do not purport to be an employer and am willing to listen to any arguments you have in your favour but the statistics are very strongly stacked against you, especially in jobs such as law:

http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/05/Comparison_educational_backgrounds.pdf
That's the end result, though. You and others talk about making something of yourselves- she has. She earns enough to have the freedom to do what she wants, and enjoys her job immensely. She didnt need to go to Oxbridge.

So? I care nought about money. I want to do a job I love and make important contributions to my field.
Original post by DJMayes
Cambridge offer substantial aid to all students. On a personal level, I attend Pembroke College, and come from a financially disadvantaged background. I was a Free School Meals recipient at school, and my parents cannot really afford to help me out like some parents can. Between the basic government funding and the various things offered by the college I can afford to live comfortably (As in, highest price band accommodation, eat catered every day, go out occasionally if I like) and still save money over the course of the term. Don't underestimate the level of support there is; thanks to how generous the university is, money has never been a concern to me here.

And don't knock supervisions; no matter how independent you are you shouldn't say no to the opportunity to learn something one-to-one from a true expert in the field you're studying.

As for "if employers value other less academically pushy universities as highly...", you said it yourself: if. I do not purport to be an employer and am willing to listen to any arguments you have in your favour but the statistics are very strongly stacked against you, especially in jobs such as law:

http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/05/Comparison_educational_backgrounds.pdf

But, personally, I'm not willing to put my health and relationships at risk just to get A* grades to go to Oxbridge, even if I'd get one-to-one tuition with an expert.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/student-life/9796679/Warwick-University-top-target-for-graduate-employers.html

The above article is a few years old, but the point still stands. There are other universities.
So? I care nought about money. I want to do a job I love and make important contributions to my field.

She does have a job she loves. And she helps people every day.

As for me, I plan to become a research scientist because, like you, I want to make contributions to my field (biology, for me). I don't need to go to Oxbridge for that. There are plenty of other universities whose students make amazing discoveries.
She does have a job she loves. And she helps people every day.

As for me, I plan to become a research scientist because, like you, I want to make contributions to my field (biology, for me). I don't need to go to Oxbridge for that. There are plenty of other universities whose students make amazing discoveries.

I acknowledge that. Good luck. :smile:
I acknowledge that. Good luck. :smile:

Thank you, best of luck to you too. :smile:
Reply 231
Original post by billydisco
You sound like somebody who has not performed extremely well in education and trying to shrug it off as not important.....

I'm afraid that isn't the case. Rather, I have met far too many people who performed poorly academically but have been very successful outside of academia to consider GCSEs and A-Levels as a predictor of success, and especially not something to get snobby about.
Original post by carlaraptor
How is your life outside academia? Do you have any particular hobbies or things you're passionate outside of maths?

You mentioned your parents have suffered with mental illness - have you? (sorry if that's already been asked)

I enjoy sci fi and fantasy shows but I don't really have much to do I am interested in Politics and Philosophy I suppose though.I have suffered from depression quite a bit, particularly last year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ebony19
Do you like people?

How do you fair socially?

Most people seem to be quite nasty from what I have seen, I don't fair too well socially and don't really have any really good friends however I did win loads of votes in the UKYP election at my school, so people seemed to like me.
Do you think it might be possible that you have narcissistic personality disorder?

I didn't get high enough to be classed as that when I did the test I was close to narcissism though and got the rating celebrities usually get.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
You are a complete joke and hopefully when you leave your university bubble and enter the real world you'll wake up and realise everything isn't about you.

Your name is demigod for christ sake

Yes it is that simple.

You can't really rote learn the harder more conceptual parts of the courses I made the whole comparison about memorisation to try and point out that GCSEs and A Levels are not that different in such a way that you should go from A to E and you can't really rote learn STEP and a lot of the entrance exams the top universities use.
Original post by Dalek1099
Most people seem to be quite nasty from what I have seen, I don't fair too well socially and don't really have any really good friends however I did win loads of votes in the UKYP election at my school, so people seemed to like me.
I thought you meant UKIP for a minute there. What party or political position were you representing?
Original post by Yellow636
What college did you apply for @ Durham?

I applied for John Snow

I applied for collingwood I think but I am not sure if there is a way to check this?
Original post by keromedic
R u Felix?

You look familiar

No I am not Felix.
"Omg I got A* grades look at me"

Hey

Guess what?

You're still going to die and rot in the ground or burn in a cremation oven. :smile:

I know I think a lot about death its really scary isn't it? but that is what will happen to my body not necessarily what will happen to you after death, we don't know what happens to us(our souls) when we die but there is a lot of evidence for reincarnation.

Quick Reply

Latest