The Student Room Group

Have you ever suffered from a mental health problem?

Poll

Have you ever experienced mental health problems?

Many people feel afraid to open up about mental health problems for fear that they will be perceived as different. So it would be interesting to see how many of us have experiences with mental health problems, whether that be diagnosed, a period of mental breakdown etc.

Scroll to see replies

I'm unsure how helpful this poll will be given the immense level of selection bias from putting it in this forum.
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm unsure how helpful this poll will be given the immense level of selection bias from putting it in this forum.

True, it crossed my mind too. Would it be possible to move it?
Done. :smile:
Had a major breakdown recently, never recovered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Illegal Algebra
Had a major breakdown recently, never recovered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that, are things getting better?
It depends what you mean. Like anyone can get a headache or feel stressed. Do you mean like a disorder? What about a genetic illness? Mental health can refer to everyone.

Usually its depression or anxiety for me. No idea how I'll fix it particularly as I dont feel like talking to anyone in real life. I'm never motivated and i take risks like procrastinate and do most of my esseys and coursework the night before its due in and I've probably already ruined my degree chances. Also I'm reclusive and barely know or hang out with anyone on my course and when I meet them its like walking in on some other group of people. No matter how hard I feel I try i just don't know how to fit in. Oh and I have no friends.

Does this count?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Snagprophet
It depends what you mean. Like anyone can get a headache or feel stressed. Do you mean like a disorder? What about a genetic illness? Mental health can refer to everyone.

Usually its depression or anxiety for me. No idea how I'll fix it particularly as I dont feel like talking to anyone in real life. I'm never motivated and i take risks like procrastinate and do most of my esseys and coursework the night before its due in and I've probably already ruined my degree chances. Also I'm reclusive and barely know or hang out with anyone on my course and when I meet them its like walking in on some other group of people. No matter how hard I feel I try i just don't know how to fit in. Oh and I have no friends.

Does this count?

i´m not an expert, im just a student so you will probably know as much as me

in my opinion a mental health problem is not a headache or feeling stressed, it is something that lasts a few weeks or more
Original post by number23
i´m not an expert, im just a student so you will probably know as much as me

in my opinion a mental health problem is not a headache or feeling stressed, it is something that lasts a few weeks or more

Im not saying a headache is as bad as more drastic or dangerous as other thing but its still mental health, like ordinary moods and emotions. But it shows mental health is a large field.
Reply 9
Depression yes. I never got a diagnosis from a doctor for it, but my mental state from when I was 13 - even now sometimes (19 in a month) was of a very poor state. I'm a lot better now, but I used to have so many suicidal thoughts... self harm... etc.
Depends what counts
Reply 11
Original post by Jammy Duel
Depends what counts

I was going to specify diagnosed but i know people who have gone through mental health problems without going to the doctor

Its hard to define .. What do u think?
Give daily amino acid supplements a try, worked for thousands of people.
Schizoaffective disorder (depressive type) here :wavey:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Schizoaffective disorder (depressive type) here :wavey:

:confused:

OP: I have IED/intermittent explosive disorder (embarrassing "anger issues"). But I don't think that is mental or such a big deal, like it can be tamed with psychotherapy and medication so whatever.
Original post by pocahontas lol
:confused:

It's a long-term mental health condition. Crudely put, it's a cross between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. An estimated 1 in every 200 people in the UK suffers from schizoaffective disorder :yes:
It's a long-term mental health condition. Crudely put, it's a cross between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. An estimated 1 in every 200 people in the UK suffers from schizoaffective disorder :yes:

:s-smilie: Holy ****. I looked it up just now, its definition, causes, and symptoms. :console: I told who I thought was a friend to me and he said my disorder "sounds like drama." That's big rich talk from him, as he has PTSD and I'd never say that to him :colonhash:

But anyway :redface: lol

I'd love to ask how bad it can get for you...but is that rude?
(edited 9 years ago)
:s-smilie: Holy ****. I looked it up just now, its definition, causes, and symptoms. :console: I told who I thought was a friend to me and he said my disorder "sounds like drama." That's big rich talk from him, as he has PTSD and I'd never say that to him :colonhash:

But anyway :redface: lol

I'd love to ask how bad it can get for you...but is that rude?

:console:

No that's not rude at all. It can (and has in the past) flare up quite badly :sadnod: My longest major psychotic episode was at least six months long, if not a bit longer :s-smilie: That wasn't fun at all. It's much better managed now and I'm lucky I have a lot of insight, but yeah. It can get really nasty and out of hand. Like the time I thought I could fly (thankfully I told my GP this before trying anything!) :s-smilie:
:console:

No that's not rude at all. It can (and has in the past) flare up quite badly :sadnod: My longest major psychotic episode was at least six months long, if not a bit longer :s-smilie: That wasn't fun at all. It's much better managed now and I'm lucky I have a lot of insight, but yeah. It can get really nasty and out of hand. Like the time I thought I could fly (thankfully I told my GP this before trying anything!) :s-smilie:

I saw this show called Sex Sent me to the ER and there was a woman who had an orgasm spasm for like...hours. And it became painful. The doctors didn't know what to do but finally diagnosed her with bipolar disorder. Like...the brain does its own thing but so powerfully it controls everything else. :eek:

Schizo and bipolar can be intense just individually, so together I just...can't imagine.

Have you been...institutionalized? :s-smilie:

Have you been...institutionalized? :s-smilie:

:nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending