The Student Room Group

Is Classics and Philosophy classed as soft subjects?

And are they good?
Reply 1
I do em both lmao and I wouldn't consider them soft
They're in the main section of A-levels instead of limited suitability on the Cambridge thingy
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations
:smile:
I personally would not class them as soft, but I assume some people will as they are not STEM.
Reply 3
Original post by nerg
I do em both lmao and I wouldn't consider them soft
They're in the main section of A-levels instead of limited suitability on the Cambridge thingy
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

Is it good?

Original post by zetamcfc
I personally would not class them as soft, but I assume some people will as they are not STEM.

Oh okay :smile:
Classics is generally regarded quite highly by universities (or so I've been told, I have an A level in Classical Civilisation) because its a mixture of subjects i.e. language, literature, history, politics, art etc.
Reply 5
Original post by zetamcfc

Ah yes, good old STEM snobbery.
Reply 6
Original post by Mequa
Ah yes, good old STEM snobbery.

Lmao

Original post by inthechaos
Classics is generally regarded quite highly by universities (or so I've been told, I have an A level in Classical Civilisation) because its a mixture of subjects i.e. language, literature, history, politics, art etc.

Ah okay might do it tbh seems alright if it's too hard i'll drop :smile: thanks x
Do you know which exam board it is or what topics you'll study? I may be able to give more specific advice.
Reply 8
Do you know which exam board it is or what topics you'll study? I may be able to give more specific advice.

Urm I think it's AQA :smile:
If it is then it's the exam board I did and the literature subjects, odyssey, greek tragedy etc. are not too tricky and are generally just like english lit. BUT the other two subjects I did (Sculpture & Architecture and Tiberius & Claudius) are very difficult if you aren't good at retaining information, it's quite date heavy and obviously since names are strange they too can be difficult. It is a really enjoyable course though, I found it very interesting.
Reply 10
If it is then it's the exam board I did and the literature subjects, odyssey, greek tragedy etc. are not too tricky and are generally just like english lit. BUT the other two subjects I did (Sculpture & Architecture and Tiberius & Claudius) are very difficult if you aren't good at retaining information, it's quite date heavy and obviously since names are strange they too can be difficult. It is a really enjoyable course though, I found it very interesting.

Ah okay and is there Latin in the course?:smile:
Original post by elmosandy
Ah okay and is there Latin in the course?:smile:

Nope, which I was kinda sad about.
Reply 12
Nope, which I was kinda sad about.

Oh right, heard there was but ok:/
If it is the same course I did then I didn't do a single bit of Latin, it may just be a different course though.
I do AQA classics and for the first AS unit ( Cicero and the Roman republic) there was Latin in, not too much though just the odd words- no grammar or anything.

And as for wether it's "soft" or not I think it's the hardest of my subjects, the others being Biology and Chemistry just because of the amount of dates you have to know and the way in which essays have to be written
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by abi_parsnips
I do AQA classics and for the first AS unit ( Cicero and the Roman republic) there was Latin in, not too much though just the odd words- no grammar or anything.

And as for wether it's "soft" or not I think it's the hardest of my subjects, the others being Biology and Chemistry just because of the amount of dates you have to know and the way in which essays have to be written

Quick Reply

Latest