The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clara_oswald
are they not willing to help with getting the hours? are other people on the course having the same problem? :/

Yeah there's a few others. I've been told there isn't another placement; I've asked my mentor twice about doing more hours and she's ignored me both times.
Original post by gemmam
Yeah there's a few others. I've been told there isn't another placement; I've asked my mentor twice about doing more hours and she's ignored me both times.

Is there anyone above her that you could talk to? Or a way of doing it independently? It seems such a waste because it's their bloody fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Is there anyone above her that you could talk to? Or a way of doing it independently? It seems such a waste because it's their bloody fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure; someone in my class mentioned trying to approach heads of departments for hours myself.
Original post by gemmam
I'm not sure; someone in my class mentioned trying to approach heads of departments for hours myself.

The whole thing sounds like an absolute joke. I feel really sorry for you because none of it is your fault. I can't fathom how the uni think that it is acceptable. A lot of complaints from yourself and others on your course are needed.

I hope you get chance to study somewhere else and transfer. Seems unfair for it to ruin your career like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
The whole thing sounds like an absolute joke. I feel really sorry for you because none of it is your fault. I can't fathom how the uni think that it is acceptable. A lot of complaints from yourself and others on your course are needed.

I hope you get chance to study somewhere else and transfer. Seems unfair for it to ruin your career like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not the university itself its a partnership college (I'm doing post 16 and teaching and placement take place there).
Original post by gemmam
Its not the university itself its a partnership college (I'm doing post 16 and teaching and placement take place there).

Are you paying course fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Are you paying course fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by gemmam
Yes

Then surely as a consumer you have a right to the service you are paying for. I would def kick up a fuss. Maybe consult a union too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam

Oh ok. Well same thing applies to the college. Were you given any warning that there may be difficulty in you completing the hours before you started the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok. Well same thing applies to the college. Were you given any warning that there may be difficulty in you completing the hours before you started the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No; actually at my interview I was told they'd only give me a place if they had a placement for me to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I breifly saw my mentor earlier and seeing her properly later this afternoon. Apparently the hours have been sorted but Im not holding my breath. I've worked out that I'm going to need 15 a week at the very least when on full time teaching practice (which starts after half term) to get anywhere near the required hours so I've decided if that isn't sorted by next week I'm not returning after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I breifly saw my mentor earlier and seeing her properly later this afternoon. Apparently the hours have been sorted but Im not holding my breath. I've worked out that I'm going to need 15 a week at the very least when on full time teaching practice (which starts after half term) to get anywhere near the required hours so I've decided if that isn't sorted by next week I'm not returning after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope you can get it sorted!
Original post by clara_oswald
Hope you can get it sorted!

Spoke to her going to definitely have 7.5 hours and possibly going to get 7.5 hours more but with adults rather than teens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taught my first lesson at my new school and my first ever KS4 lesson.

It felt like absolute torture :frown:

It'll get better.
Original post by gemmam
Spoke to her going to definitely have 7.5 hours and possibly going to get 7.5 hours more but with adults rather than teens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed! I hope it works out...

Keep up updated.

Aww, why?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It'll get better.

I know, I think I'm being much harder on myself than I should be. I had weird thoughts that I'd fall back into it but I've gone quite bumpy.

Fingers crossed! I hope it works out...

Keep up updated.

Aww, why?

My mentor gave me really useful feedback but I didn't really get much constructive feedback on last placement so now I have to catch up on some basic things such as differentiation and EAL. I know that I'm where I should be, but I really wish that I could be better.

And I'll never figure out how to do do a chest based teacher's voice :frown:
I know, I think I'm being much harder on myself than I should be. I had weird thoughts that I'd fall back into it but I've gone quite bumpy.

And I'll never figure out how to do do a chest based teacher's voice :frown:

Teaching messes with your head. It's very weird like that. We are also hyper-critical of ourselves, which I think is fuelled by the culture of observation which seems to have taken over the profession. You don't see lawyers and doctors and accountants being watched all the time, but everyone seems to think it's perfectly OK for us.

You'll get the voice in the end. Best, though, is to acquire the teacher's eyebrow, when all you need to do is raise it. It's a skill gained by practice.
(edited 9 years ago)
AHHH! I received an invitation to an interview!
It's the first job I've applied for, I'm dead happy they've even given me an interview to be honest.
Original post by Samus2
AHHH! I received an invitation to an interview!
It's the first job I've applied for, I'm dead happy they've even given me an interview to be honest.

Congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending