The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
There's more to it than that.

Wrt RVP for instance. He got 1 medal from joining Utd. Had he stayed at Arsenal he may not have won anything but he would have gone down as a legend who would always have been greeted warmly at the Emirates. Could come and train with the team like Henry/Pires/Ljungberg do sometimes, may have even got a coaching role, and just generally have felt content that there was a club that he could always feel at home at. Now once he retires he'll be forgotten by all, just another good player with nowhere to lay his hat at all. Can guarantee the likes of Rosicky in years to come will be glad there is a club like Arsenal he can always call his home.

And even Fabregas, at Stamford Bridge after our game he was adamantly claiming that the Arsenal fans still loved him, it clearly bothered him to think that he basically had no club on this planet that truly loved him I think and that all the years he spent at AFC count for precisely nothing now. Football is surely emotions as well as medals, which may or may not materialise actually. And Cesc will feel pretty rotten I think sitting in the Emirates away dressing room.

Samir Nasri I have no problem with at all. Dont think he cares about that kind of thing, never pretended otherwise and that's fair enough really.

RVP I think was too many times on the injury table. I'd think if he left to go to United after having injury free seasons at Arsenal, yet with still no trophies he'd have been more satisfied with his career.

Fabregas I think probably cares now, but when we consider the context that no offer was made for him by Arsenal, he didn't want to play for Mourinho, nobody else put in an offer for him and he wasn't going to play for Barcelona. The best thing for him was probably to have never gone to Barcelona in the first place, wait it out then get his move once Xavi was definitely going to be dropped. Maybe then it could have worked out due to the necessity of using Fabregas but he was a luxury player. I think in a few years(if he becomes a club legend at Chelsea and spends 5+ years with us winning us trophies) then I think he won't mind too much, he will have a few regrets but the trophy cabinet and the Chelsea fans loving him would make up for it.

Weird how people don't mind Nasri now when they hated him the most. Clichy I think is probably in the more respected category.

Finally there are other players, like Azpilicueta, Gibbs, Ramires, Carrick, Milner, Sagna(before leaving for City) who do their jobs, get somewhat of a status due to being at the club for a long time and not making any fusses but not being an obvious matchwinner.
Did not know Brooklyn Beckham was signed to us.

anyone know much about him, what position he plays, if he's any good, chance of making it to the first team??
Original post by swirly
Did not know Brooklyn Beckham was signed to us.

anyone know much about him, what position he plays, if he's any good, chance of making it to the first team??

He won't. I think he'll play under Fergie Jr at Posh Football Club
Tbf I still like Fabregas.
Brooklyn Beckham will more than likely, once released by Arsenal be a model instead.
Original post by leinad2012
Standard Tottenham, attempt to bottle it then get the ex-Arsenal lad to put Christian "late goal" Eriksen in to scrape through :cool:

Can't say I mind much, whilst it would be good to see a league 1 side (I think?) in the final, I really don't want Chelsea to win and Sheffield United would never pose enough of a threat whereas Tottenham might (and either way, is the Capital One Cup relevant as a trophy any more?)

It's basically the same as the FA Cup. The only minor difference is slightly less prize money and one round earlier in EL qualification.
Original post by Zerforax
It's basically the same as the FA Cup. The only minor difference is slightly less prize money and one round earlier in EL qualification.

Except it isnt even close. There is hugely diminished interest from everyone from managers to fans(Wenger refused to waste first team players even in the 2007 final :laugh:). And the 'Capital One Cup' has absolute no historical prestige compared with the FA Cup, it literally only exists as a revenue spinner. I'll bet most football fans couldnt tell you a thing about 90% of the finals either. I cant even remember who played most finals in my lifetime. That's why the top clubs need to flog £10 tickets to get fans in the doors for games, it's a nonsense competition.

As I say, it is only Spurs and Liverpool fans who hype it up...:rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)

Also in the fa cup, the runner up gets a europa League spot if the winner already qualifies via league position
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Except it isnt even close. There is hugely diminished interest from everyone from managers to fans(Wenger refused to waste first team players even in the 2007 final :laugh:). And the 'Capital One Cup' has absolute no historical prestige compared with the FA Cup, it literally only exists as a revenue spinner. I'll bet most football fans couldnt tell you a thing about 90% of the finals either. I cant even remember who played most finals in my lifetime. That's why the top clubs need to flog £10 tickets to get fans in the doors for games, it's a nonsense competition.

As I say, it is only Spurs and Liverpool fans who hype it up...:rolleyes:

Load of bull****. You bottled a final against Birmingham City, I'm see you remember that one don't you :laugh: absolute petty man you are, if you were in the final you'd be ****ting your pants with excitement :rolleyes: the mighty Arsenal picking which cups are prestigious when they've won 1 in 9 years :laugh:
Original post by VanGaalOut
Load of bull****. You bottled a final against Birmingham City, I'm see you remember that one don't you :laugh: absolute petty man you are, if you were in the final you'd be ****ting your pants with excitement :rolleyes: the mighty Arsenal picking which cups are prestigious when they've won 1 in 9 years :laugh:

I've made this arguement on here for yonks, every single season even before it starts. And as someone who attends literally almost every home league, FA Cup and CL game, I can count the number of league cup games Ive been to on one hand. And it costs a tenner. I also dont attend the Emirates Cup incidentally... :rolleyes: If Arsenal won it and we actually went ape like Spurs do, I would be embarrassed to be a fan of the club.

And of what consequence is the 2011 final to my point? We certainly bottled the game, but what does that imply about the worth or the tournament?

Any honest person will concede these points:
-It makes no sense at all to have a second knockout competition.
-It was established purely to raise cash.
-The League cup, aka the Worthington Cup, aka the Carling Cup, aka the Capital One Cup is of absolutely no historical prestige whatsoever.
-The finals are instantly forgettable
-Most managers habitually treat it as an annoyance
-Fans need to be bribed at £10 a ticket to actually attend

Fair enough you can make the arguement that 'a trophy is a trophy' but that arguement conceals everything Ive said above.
The FA Cup is held in much higher regard than the League Cup, without a doubt. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is being wilfully obtuse.
Original post by Zürich
-The League cup, aka the Worthington Cup, aka the Carling Cup, aka the Capital One Cup is of absolutely no historical prestige whatsoever.

also

- The FA Cup is televised and watched worldwide. Nobody outside England knows about or cares about the "capital one cup".
Original post by Zürich
I've made this arguement on here for yonks, every single season even before it starts. And as someone who attends literally almost every home league, FA Cup and CL game, I can count the number of league cup games Ive been to on one hand. And it costs a tenner. I also dont attend the Emirates Cup incidentally... :rolleyes: If Arsenal won it and we actually went ape like Spurs do, I would be embarrassed to be a fan of the club.

And of what consequence is the 2011 final to my point? We certainly bottled the game, but what does that imply about the worth or the tournament?

Fair enough you can make the arguement that 'a trophy is a trophy' but that arguement conceals everything Ive said above.

It's of consequence because you are disregarding a competition you have failed to win for over a decade, the phrase goes "beggars can't be choosers I believe". Whilst I agree the FA Cup is a more prestigious (and preferable) trophy to win, half the points you've made apply to both. The FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser or EON or Axa, this year it was considered so **** nobody even wanted it :laugh: Managers regularly rest players in the FA cup too, our international goalkeeper was caught on camera saying he doesn't give a flying **** about the competition. If you're talking about bribing then consider clubs forcing to suspend season tickets if cup tickets aren't bought as well :rolleyes: Point is both are rather meaningless trophies, only ones of consequence nowadays are the league title and Champions League.
Original post by sr90
Well considering Wenger played his first team throughout most of that tournament, it clearly wasn't an annoyance to him was it? It was obvious it meant a lot to the players as well because that game completely derailed their season. We were utter **** that year and Arsenal should have beaten us to the league, instead they fell apart and limped into 4th place.

It's 4th priority for all the top clubs but don't pretend that you wouldn't be delighted if Arsenal won it. A trophy is a trophy.

Wouldnt take much to derail an Arsenal season in March :laugh: Agree that player for player Arsenal were ahead of Utd that year but that team was full of pricks tbh, no surprise they couldnt get it together.

I'd be pleased if we won it but I'd take it for exactly what it is. And in fairness to Chelsea, I expect them to move on from it within a day when they win it.
[video="youtube;4pGGe3ZPqDs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pGGe3ZPqDs[/video]

Our reaction at the end speaks volumes, though. **** off Szczesny, you prick.
At the start of any season, I'd take either the League Cup or the FA Cup. Marginally in favour of winning the FA Cup but you guys make it out like the FA Cup is the holy grail.
Tbh the fact that there are two cups is probably part of the reason the FA cup has gone down in terms of prestige.

They should ditch the league cup to encourage people to actually respect the FA cup a bit more again.
At the start of any season, I'd take either the League Cup or the FA Cup. Marginally in favour of winning the FA Cup but you guys make it out like the FA Cup is the holy grail.

We all know the reason they do this. Last year it became even bigger than the CL and PL combined :rolleyes:
Original post by VanGaalOut
We all know the reason they do this. Last year it became even bigger than the CL and PL combined :rolleyes:

your players celebrated a win vs leyton orient like it was a champions league final win vs bayern ffs:rolleyes:
Reply 539
His bait has caught all of you
I'm ashamed you'd let fk do this to you guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest