The Student Room Group

How to deal with overprotective muslim parents?

Scroll to see replies

Often these sorts of kids don't want to take the step of moving out. A shame really, I think they're kids will grow a pair and do it though
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
I put forward a solution to OP's problem, whether it always works or not is not my concern.

The point of offering a solution is for it to work
Original post by neal95
Often these sorts of kids don't want to take the step of moving out. A shame really, I think they're kids will grow a pair and do it though

We do actually. I did. I don't know about the person who posted the questions but some of us do take that step.
Original post by mangolegs
The point of offering a solution is for it to work

It does work in most situations, you're deluded if you think otherwise.
Reply 24
Grow a backbone and take control of your life. You have freedom, liberty and free-will.
Original post by JC.
At 24 you've had the ability to do what you like for 6 years.
The law comes before religious bull****.

So you're not? Because your statement was very biased and insensitive to cultural relativity.
Reply 26
Original post by ShyBrown
So you're not? Because your statement was very biased and insensitive to cultural relativity.

Cultural b/s < Law.
Original post by JC.
Cultural b/s < Law.

Yes, to you. The person who doesn't have to deal with it. It would be nice if you offered advice catered to the person's situation. When someone has a problem you look at their circumstances, not your own. Whether you agree with it or not that's their reality and calling someone a "pussy" amount other insulting things doesn't help anyone. If you're not here to offer an actual solution that they can apply to their situation, not yours, why reply at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous
How would I deal with overprotective muslim parents

I am 24 and wanted to go travelling by myself however they basically said No.

I wanted to go Shisha and they said No.

If I am late out at night they are texting me and calling me to find out where I am.

How would I stop them from behaving this way?

Don't know what them being muslim has anything to do with it. ALL parents are protective and i don't see why them not wanting you to go and smoke shisha, which is like the crap in a cigarette x 20, is odd to you. If you live under their roof, and you're out late they're going to worry NATURALLY, whether you are 10 or 24 you'll always be their baby and so they WILL worry and they WILL call you. If you want your independence then man up and move out, Only when you start acting like your own adult and not relying on your parents taking care of you can you complain about them telling you what to do, until then you're still a "child under their care". Muslims or Not.
Reply 29
Original post by ShyBrown
Yes, to you. The person who doesn't have to deal with it. It would be nice if you offered advice catered to the person's situation. When someone has a problem you look at their circumstances, not your own. Whether you agree with it or not that's their reality and calling someone a "pussy" amount other insulting things doesn't help anyone. If you're not here to offer an actual solution that they can apply to their situation, not yours, why reply at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did offer a solution.
If you don't like that, I couldn't care less.
Original post by Lulu24
Don't know what them being muslim has anything to do with it. ALL parents are protective and i don't see why them not wanting you to go and smoke shisha, which is like the crap in a cigarette x 20, is odd to you. If you live under their roof, and you're out late they're going to worry NATURALLY, whether you are 10 or 24 you'll always be their baby and so they WILL worry and they WILL call you. If you want your independence then man up and move out, Only when you start acting like your own adult and not relying on your parents taking care of you can you complain about them telling you what to do, until then you're still a "child under their care". Muslims or Not.

No muslim parents are a whole new level of overprotective. At 24 most other families are laid back. I don't know why people are so ignorant about the reality of this culture. They don't want you to do it full stop they don't want you to move out and get involved in western culture. Its nothing to do with manning up and all of this bs. Some are heavily controlling. Just do some research you will see for yourself.
Reply 31
No muslim parents are a whole new level of overprotective. At 24 most other families are laid back. I don't know why people are so ignorant about the reality of this culture. They don't want you to do it full stop they don't want you to move out and get involved in western culture. Its nothing to do with manning up and all of this bs. Some are heavily controlling. Just do some research you will see for yourself.

I have muslim parents lol and i think you're conflating RELIGION with CULTURE and you need to realise, it's DIFFERENT. Asian parents are like that ^^ islam has NOTHING to do with it.
Original post by Lulu24
I have muslim parents lol and i think you're conflating RELIGION with CULTURE and you need to realise, it's DIFFERENT. Asian parents are like that ^^ islam has NOTHING to do with it.

Conflating? Sorry what. These days the two are a mix. Islam is quite a strict religion. I have muslim parents aswell . I'm still right in what I say. They are like that. Manning up as nothing to do with it.
Reply 33
Conflating? Sorry what. These days the two are a mix. Islam is quite a strict religion. I have muslim parents aswell . I'm still right in what I say. They are like that. Manning up as nothing to do with it.

No they are not lol. Because you get muslims from ALL different backgrounds and their parents act differently, NOT because of the religion. You can't say "my parents not wanting me to move out is because of the Qur'an" Errrrm? Nah Bruh. You're definitely conflating the two and clearly YOU need to do your research on the religion, and the difference with culture and religion if you think they are one in the same.
Original post by Lulu24
No they are not lol. Because you get muslims from ALL different backgrounds and their parents act differently, NOT because of the religion. You can't say "my parents not wanting me to move out is because of the Qur'an" Errrrm? Nah Bruh. You're definitely conflating the two and clearly YOU need to do your research on the religion, and the difference with culture and religion if you think they are one in the same.

You do get muslims from all backgrounds. That's true.' My parents not wanting to move out because of the qur'an'. That of course would be stupid because its a stupid comment. Muslim girls aren't supposed to move out unmarried? There not supposed to smoke, have sex outside of marriage and drink. And a number of other things.so a muslim parent wouldn't want their child doing that. And a traditional parent wouldn't want it due to caring about reputation. You do get people with both of these reasons. don't think they are the same. I think they go hand in hand.
This comes from experiencei am a British pakistani Muslim and I know for a fact that parents know best. Thy are only trying to protect you. I used to go out to shisha and stay out late parting but it's not worth it is pointless and you have no benefit from it. But that doesn't mean you can't go out in the day with your friends.
Reply 36
You do get muslims from all backgrounds. That's true.' My parents not wanting to move out because of the qur'an'. That of course would be stupid because its a stupid comment. Muslim girls aren't supposed to move out unmarried? There not supposed to smoke, have sex outside of marriage and drink. And a number of other things.so a muslim parent wouldn't want their child doing that. And a traditional parent wouldn't want it due to caring about reputation. You do get people with both of these reasons. don't think they are the same. I think they go hand in hand.

I still don't think that has anything to do with "Islam". Multiple religions believe in no sex before marriage etc, And the things you mentioned i.e Not supposed to smoke? That's a personal choice, which a MAN or WOMAN can make for themselves. I think you have an idealistic view of what "non-muslim parents" are like LOL.
I think you should fight for your independence in a respectful way. A 24-year old is no longer a baby so wise up and man up. Take responsibility for your life and future. Your destiny lies in your hands.

If I am late out at night they are texting me and calling me to find out where I am.

stopping you from doing sisha? I ma not religious myself but am a muslim. They are trying to help you get to jannah.
Also shows they love you a lot. They are stopping bad habits, if u were an angel they wouldn't care- like me. My mum doesn't care about how long I stay out cos i don't do anything wrong anyway lol

With parents you have to build a relationship of trust and that is key! so you should question yourself that have you ever done anything major that might have hurt them? If you can say NO to that and then you clear cut said to your parents about shisha then put yourself in their shoes and just think that would you let your child do that? I know we live in a western world but there are some things that sometimes you might have to sacrifice for your parents sake and that doesn't mean you become a sheep but maybe co-operate with them as they want what is best for you! xxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending