The Student Room Group

I got a speeding fine!

I got a speeding fine dated 23/1/15.
The thing is I was extremely drunk on that friday and didnt drive at all. Me and some friends wanted to go out drinking and one of their friends would be willing to taxi us to the pub in my car in return for a few quid, so this is what I done. Its only a crap car which im going to get rid of shortly so I didnt mind doing this. Apparently he was doing 38 through a 30 and now I get the penalty.

The letter basically says I either have to accept the fine, or name the person who was driving at the time. I dont even know the **** spazza who was driving. And even if I knew the guy, I was completely wasted that night and dont remember sod all. Screw the god dam copper nazis! What the hell do they think I should do, not my fault.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your car, your responsibility. It's not the police's fault that you don't know who was in charge of your own property. Just pay up.
You *could* try beat it on the basis that you were plastered and just let some randomer drive you home... IIRC some claim of similar circumstances was successful for a chief constable a few years ago.

or tbh if you're not near getting banned just take the points.
Reply 3
Agreeing with Dez, it's your car so you need to be prepared to take the consequences of letting some stranger drive your car. Either find out who was driving or take the points.

Not sure how this is the 'god dam copper nazis' fault for something you didn't think through properly.
Original post by Joinedup
You *could* try beat it on the basis that you were plastered and just let some randomer drive you home... IIRC some claim of similar circumstances was successful for a chief constable a few years ago.

or tbh if you're not near getting banned just take the points.

Paying the fine is better than incuring points, some employees don't hire you if you have points.
Reply 5
Original post by King Leonidas
Paying the fine is better than incuring points, some employees don't hire you if you have points.

There's no choice in the matter really.

The minimum penalty for speeding is a £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence.

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties
Original post by UKTomm
There's no choice in the matter really.

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

Ohh ok, thanks for clarifying that:yy:
Original post by King Leonidas

it's
fine AND points

...unless you get offered the speeding course in which case you have a choice...

course and no points (but the course costs as much as the fine)
or
fine and points
Reply 8
Lesson learnt, don't let randoms drive your car.
Reply 9
Was he even insured to drive your car?@

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
Was he even insured to drive your car?@

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not if he didn't even know the guy.
Original post by Laomedeia
I got a speeding fine dated 23/1/15.
The thing is I was extremely drunk on that friday and didnt drive at all. Me and some friends wanted to go out drinking and one of their friends would be willing to taxi us to the pub in my car in return for a few quid, so this is what I done. Its only a crap car which im going to get rid of shortly so I didnt mind doing this. Apparently he was doing 38 through a 30 and now I get the penalty.

The letter basically says I either have to accept the fine, or name the person who was driving at the time. I dont even know the **** spazza who was driving. And even if I knew the guy, I was completely wasted that night and dont remember sod all. Screw the god dam copper nazis! What the hell do they think I should do, not my fault.

You are in a lose lose situation here, you either pay the fine or figure out who was driving the car, however if the person who drove the car wasn't even insured then you will be in even more trouble. You can't blame the police here, it is entirely your own fault.
Reply 12
Bollux it is! Im just gonna explain the situation in a letter and send it off with the prosecution letter. See what the reply is. Not gonna be penalised for the actions of someone else, the police can f-off.
Bollux it is! Im just gonna explain the situation in a letter and send it off with the prosecution letter. See what the reply is. Not gonna be penalised for the actions of someone else, the police can f-off.

You're hardly being penalised for the actions of someone else though - you chose to let them drive your car despite a) Them not being insured and b) You apparently not knowing them.
Had the driver been drinking too?

It's your own fault. You shouldn't get penalised for the speeding offence, but think of this as a tax on stupidity and don't give strangers your car keys when you're wasted in future.
Reply 15
I was doing the right thing by "not choosing to drive when drinking". I dismiss any fault im accused of. I dont care what anyone says, Im NOT PAYING!
I was doing the right thing by "not choosing to drive when drinking". I dismiss any fault im accused of. I dont care what anyone says, Im NOT PAYING!

No-one is suggesting you should have drank whilst driving - but if you've let someone else drive your car, who was uninsured at that, how are you expecting to not have to pay for this?
Reply 17

Could have walked, got the bus or got a taxi. The last two being something that would have cost you 'a few quid' without some stranger driving your car uninsured.

Not sure if troll or...
(edited 9 years ago)

It doesnt look like you have any choice in the matter. Looks like you are going to HAVE to pay, wether you like it or not.
It is your car=your responsibility. You should have made sure that you knew who was driving, and made sure that they where insured to do so. You may have chosen not to drink when driving, but there where other ways of doing it- such as getting a taxi or a bus or walking or something.

I think you are paying.

Quick Reply

Latest