The Student Room Group

Solving Hyperbolic functions

Being absent on the day integrals of hyperbolic functions were taught in the class, I have never grasped the concept properly, and when confronted with a Q, I just apply Taylor series expansions and approximate my answers. Please help
Original post by Spandy
Being absent on the day integrals of hyperbolic functions were taught in the class, I have never grasped the concept properly, and when confronted with a Q, I just apply Taylor series expansions and approximate my answers. Please help

Is it the concept of integrating hyperbolic functions which is the problem for you?
Reply 2
Original post by Spandy

this topic in general is not a problematic topic for most students.

Approach your teacher outside the class and/or a decent student which has good understanding before the whole thing gets out of hand
Reply 3
Original post by SamKeene
Is it the concept of integrating hyperbolic functions which is the problem for you?

Exactly
Reply 4
Original post by Spandy
Exactly

The definition of hyperbolic functions in terms of exponentials should make their integration completely straightforward - in fact if you accept the integral of functions like ekxe^{kx} then integration of hyperbolic functions is arguably simpler than that of trigonometric functions, since you're not taking things on trust!

Can you give us an example of an integral you're having difficulty with?
Reply 5
Well, consider, integration of dx/sqrt.(x^2+a^2)
Reply 6
Original post by Spandy
Well, consider, integration of dx/sqrt.(x^2+a^2)

OK, so your problem is not integrating the hyperbolic functions themselves - but this is a problem involving requiring a hyperbolic substitution.

Actually, I suspect this integral is given in your formula book, but if you need to derive the answer, then just use a simple substitution like x = asinht.
Reply 7
Original post by davros
OK, so your problem is not integrating the hyperbolic functions themselves - but this is a problem involving requiring a hyperbolic substitution.

Actually, I suspect this integral is given in your formula book, but if you need to derive the answer, then just use a simple substitution like x = asinht.

That was what I was looking for, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest