The Student Room Group

tricky situation with a 16 yo

I am working as an au pair in France. I look after just one little child but the child has other siblings. One of the siblings is a 16 year old boy who has taken a fancy to me. I get on well with all of the members of the family so it's only natural for me to bond with everyone. However I find his interest in me very weird and awkward. I am in my mid twenties and I work for these people.

What do I do? How do I deal with this kind of attention? If I suddenly start being cold and distant it is going to ruin the family atmosphere and make things even more weird. But I can't deal with it, it's just eecky for me. What do I do? I feel grossed out even mentioning this to the parents, it will be so awkward!
morally speaking, the best thing to do is to confront him about it (if you're sure about his intentions). Warn him that if it[what ever he is doing] continues, you'll have to speak to his parents.

just make sure you don't let things get physical, it is quite normal for boys of his age to fancy older girls and as long as it doesn't actually turn into anything, you'll be fine
Original post by Anonymous
I am working as an au pair in France. I look after just one little child but the child has other siblings. One of the siblings is a 16 year old boy who has taken a fancy to me. I get on well with all of the members of the family so it's only natural for me to bond with everyone. However I find his interest in me very weird and awkward. I am in my mid twenties and I work for these people.

What do I do? How do I deal with this kind of attention? If I suddenly start being cold and distant it is going to ruin the family atmosphere and make things even more weird. But I can't deal with it, it's just eecky for me. What do I do? I feel grossed out even mentioning this to the parents, it will be so awkward!

I kinda know how you feel where I work we get teenagers who I have to teach and some of them get crushes and it is kinda awkward and weird. Think first thing is try and be professional and if becomes more of a problem, is there like anyone who you could speak to about it like the person who assigned you to the au pair?
Reply 3
Original post by Rock Fan
I kinda know how you feel where I work we get teenagers who I have to teach and some of them get crushes and it is kinda awkward and weird. Think first thing is try and be professional and if becomes more of a problem, is there like anyone who you could speak to about it like the person who assigned you to the au pair?

I can't because it was through a website not an agency. I guess the only point of contact would be parents but I can just imagine how horribly awkward it would be. I get what you mean by being professional. However my duties include paying with the children which for a teenager might be a bit intense if he has a crush on me. For example a few days ago we went sledging. Everyone was taking turns to sledge together. So I sledged with him a few times as well. For me he is a kid but for him to sledge with me might be more than just that. So now I feel massively awkward to participate in these kind of activities when he is around.
I can't because it was through a website not an agency. I guess the only point of contact would be parents but I can just imagine how horribly awkward it would be. I get what you mean by being professional. However my duties include paying with the children which for a teenager might be a bit intense if he has a crush on me. For example a few days ago we went sledging. Everyone was taking turns to sledge together. So I sledged with him a few times as well. For me he is a kid but for him to sledge with me might be more than just that. So now I feel massively awkward to participate in these kind of activities when he is around.

Ah ok yeah I see now, hmmmm only thing is it might be the only way to stop him being all over you like that, unless maybe you could just have a quiet word with him first.
Reply 5
Original post by Rock Fan
Ah ok yeah I see now, hmmmm only thing is it might be the only way to stop him being all over you like that, unless maybe you could just have a quiet word with him first.

I think I might but in a very joky way. I might resort to a good old 'I like a guy, the guy I like is 25+, I like him cause he is mature'. this is a very immature thing to do but maybe it will put thing into perspective for him.
Reply 6
I think I might but in a very joky way. I might resort to a good old 'I like a guy, the guy I like is 25+, I like him cause he is mature'. this is a very immature thing to do but maybe it will put thing into perspective for him.
Noooo don't do that! Then he'll try to live up to your expectations. Just have a chat say something along the lines of 'Look I sense that you may 'like' me and I just want to make it clear that I am here to look after your younger siblings and earn some money and no other reason. If things (and you know what I mean) continue I'll have to have a word with your parents and that would be embarrassing for everyone involved so please understand that you have to behave appropriately remember I am the au pair of the family'

Just as an aside: do you consider yourself more a "member of the family" or more a paid employee? The whole idea of being an au-pair just seems like a massive minefield of really awkward grey areas (like this one) to me.
Reply 8
Just as an aside: do you consider yourself more a "member of the family" or more a paid employee? The whole idea of being an au-pair just seems like a massive minefield of really awkward grey areas (like this one) to me.

I consider myself as a family friend. but having this is a real problem because I cannot do my work properly. I have to cook lunch for all of the kids, it's just too weird now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending