The Student Room Group

Maths and Finance at University?

I've applied to city because i feel they would have great business links for when apply to placements. I was just wondering what is maths at university actually like?
Original post by showaali
I've applied to city because i feel they would have great business links for when apply to placements. I was just wondering what is maths at university actually like?

Maths at university is a big step up from alevel, be prepared for understand really abstract concepts. Learning proofs to theorems is vital, and understanding something is
Important more than anything as oppose to just practicing loads of questions like at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MathsLover28
CASS is definitely reputed for their business school and the quality of courses from what I know is really good. Maths at university is a big step up from alevel, be prepared for understand really abstract concepts. Learning proofs to theorems is vital, and understanding something is
Important more than anything as oppose to just practicing loads of questions like at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no maths & finance at cass, it belongs to city LOL
Original post by a5a09
There is no maths & finance at cass, it belongs to city LOL

Assumed they did. My bad but their actuarial science course is good.. If that's of any interest to the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MathsLover28
Assumed they did. My bad but their actuarial science course is good.. If that's of any interest to the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of the course structure it's quite good for job seeking since they provide chances for students to do quite a lot of group coursework and presentation. There are also quite a lot of practitioners in the industry graduated at cass, meaning that its name may be useful for job seeking as it's recognised (the so-called "network")

However, for people who would like to do further studies the course may not be a very good choice as its training on maths is not rigorous (no real analysis and no rigorous proofs), and I guess if someone wanna apply job not for the financial/insurance industry then it's not too recognised since city's name is not big.....

Quick Reply

Latest