The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Yeah the formation is allowing Lucas to look good. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be improved upon. You obviously need to upgrade on Skrtel first and your creative players all lack experience so aren't as good at creating/finishing chances as Suarez or Sturridge.

After CB and GK(although don't think this is completely important yet, Hart was in shocking form too) where do you think needs to be improved upon? Your aim isn't obviously to find ways to scrape top 4 and it wasn't to scrape top 4 this season, so I think Lucas is a place you need to improve upon as well as a creative forward as good as Sterling minimum.

In order of priorities for our next window;

- striker, to partner and sub in for Sturridge

And that's all we can really say right now. Mignolet looks much more at home in the back three. Even if he has a strong end to the season I'm not sure I'd want to gamble on him again, after two up and down years, so yeah a goalkeeper should probably be targeted. Can is the midfield heir so we won't be buying anyone there, unless it's to upgrade on Joe Allen. I read recently that we have the second most expensive defence in the world, so can't see too much money being spent there (not that much needs to be spent anyway if we stay with 3ATB, and even if we move to 4ATB, Skrtel is a Rodgers' favourite so we're not really going to move for an upgrade on him). We have Ilori to return and maybe he makes some kind of impact at RCB (ideal role for him). Talk on these forums about an RWB, but we have JM, JF, GJ, RS, LM, JH, EC all capable of playing there, even if none are a perfect fit, so I do wonder how much money we'd spend on that position.

A good striker is the main priority and given Sturridge's ability to play in a two, I'd be so happy selling Borini, Lambert and maybe Balotelli, bringing back Origi, and then blowing 50-75% of our summer budget on a striker. We're really not far off, and if we'd had a striker this season we'd be sitting in third with a COC final to look forward to, even with the formation issues and poor defending throughout the first half of the season.
Original post by jam277
Yeah the formation is allowing Lucas to look good. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be improved upon. You obviously need to upgrade on Skrtel first and your creative players all lack experience so aren't as good at creating/finishing chances as Suarez or Sturridge.

After CB and GK(although don't think this is completely important yet, Hart was in shocking form too) where do you think needs to be improved upon? Your aim isn't obviously to find ways to scrape top 4 and it wasn't to scrape top 4 this season, so I think Lucas is a place you need to improve upon as well as a creative forward as good as Sterling minimum.

Buy new star striker + Origi joins in the summer and then sell Balotelli + Borini.
Sell Mignolet and buy a new GK.
Sell Enrique and buy new backup LB to replace him.
Keep one of Flanagan/Manquillo/Johnson and buy a new starting RB. Recall Wisdom for cover.
Sell either Toure or Lovren and buy a new CB.
Buy a new CM as cover for Henderson. Sell Allen if we need more funds.
Yh, would rather keep Mignolet and buy a new keeper. Brad Jones is not good enough.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Wouldn't it make sense to keep Mignolet as back up rather than sell him? He'd be a decent number 2 for the cup games, much better than Brad Jones anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can we justify paying 45-60k a week to our backup goalkeeper? I think B.Jones is on like 20k a week.

Rather take the 5mil on Mignolet now and put that towards the new goalkeeper.
Original post by KFC Buffet
I'd be so happy selling Borini, Lambert and maybe Balotelli, bringing back Origi, and then blowing 50-75% of our summer budget on a striker. We're really not far off, and if we'd had a striker this season we'd be sitting in third with a COC final to look forward to, even with the formation issues and poor defending throughout the first half of the season.

sturridge and a star striker (40m ish) as a partnership with origi as back up would be pretty good.
who do you think we could go for an realistically bring in (obviously depends if we finish top 4 or not too)?
do you think benzema is worth a big money buy or do you think being in the madrid side makes things "easy" for him?

and yes i agree - as poor as we have been at times, with any kind of half decent striker we would've easily been third and we would have destroyed chelsea in the first leg.
it's disappointing for the whole team to be let down simply by the lack of a striker, although scoring goals is what football is all about, regardless of how sleek and creative our playmakers can be.

Original post by samir12
Yh, would rather keep Mignolet and buy a new keeper. Brad Jones is not good enough.

as somebody said (SR90 i think), i would keep mignolet for back up and cup games and bring in a new keeper.
as long as they've proven themselves at a consistent level for a few years, i'm not overly bothered how much we spend.
i'd just hate for us to try to go for another young keeper in the hope he'll develop in to a star.

if mignolet doesn't like being a second keeper, tell him to get lost and bring in a young, decent championship GK maybe?
lol yeah Benzema is definitely going to Liverpool to £40m.
so are we signing anybody this window?
if we aren't could we at least get rid of balotelli; i want one bit of good news this month.
Making that many changes is just silly. We don't need them and the time it will take for new players to bed in will ruin our season, yet again.

The best change for us would be to get a semblance of continuity. All we need is a striker, and the rest are just luxuries/dependent on Mignolet's form.

edit: anyway talking about this right now is silly, because there's half a season to go
(edited 9 years ago)
You lot aren't really in trouble coming to look at it.

I think you have a team capable of winning europa anyway with Sturridge. Sevilla+Napoli+Spurs you have a better team than in all honesty.
Liverpool should try and get Lacazette from Lyon. Apparently he's absolute dynamite and producing a goal a game for over a year now. That's the kind of level you would realistically be looking at, not Benzema. Him, Sturridge Stirling and Origi as an attack looks decent

Then you need a CM to replace Gerrard of course, I'd go for Alex Song actually.

Then you need a GK and at least 2 defenders.

Flog Balotelli, Lambert, Toure and with Gerrard gone your wage bill would look decent.

Lacazette
Sturridge Stirling
Markovic Coutinho
Song

Tasty midfield/attack that and achievable for like £30m probably. This would be if LFC suddenly found a sensible and practical transfer policy however :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Liverpool should try and get Lacazette from Lyon. Apparently he's absolute dynamite and producing a goal a game for over a year now. That's the kind of level you would realistically be looking at, not Benzema. Him, Sturridge Stirling and Origi as an attack looks decent

Then you need a CM to replace Gerrard of course, I'd go for Alex Song actually.

Then you need a GK and at least 2 defenders.

Flog Balotelli, Lambert, Toure and with Gerrard gone your wage bill would look decent.

Lacazette
Sturridge Stirling
Markovic Coutinho
Song

Tasty midfield/attack that and achievable for like £30m probably. This would be if LFC suddenly found a sensible and practical transfer policy however :laugh:

That midfield and attack is ridiculously unbalanced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
That midfield and attack is ridiculously unbalanced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stick the water boy Henderson in somewhere then if you like

Not sure Rodgers actually has any plan in terms of the balance of his attack in how re replaced Suarez with Balotelli tbf so anything is possible
Song's a decent shout, but I don't see what he offers us that is different to Lucas.

We need more goals from midfield. That's abundantly clear. Henderson's miss in extra-time the other night would NOT have been put wide by Lampard, Gerrard, Mata, Fabregas or Yaya Toure. That's what we're competing against. Sure, Henderson is clearly Gerrard's successor in terms of leadership - but we still need to look beyond him for more goals from midfield. Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson and Sterling all need to boost their current output by five.
Original post by Zürich
Stick the water boy Henderson in somewhere then if you like

Not sure Rodgers actually has any plan in terms of the balance of his attack in how re replaced Suarez with Balotelli tbf so anything is possible

It would look really good if it was:
Henderson Can/Song/Lucas
Sterling Coutinho Sturridge
Lacazette

Or switch Sturridge and Lacazette's positions.

Yeah exactly. Rodgers brought in Balotelli yet fails to realise that Balotelli doesnt suit the style of play at Liverpool. Tbh it probably wasnt his decision entirely to bring Balotelli.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich

He'll have a Dalglish moment and we'll be starting Berahino and Austin up front next year. Mark my words.
Original post by jam277
You lot aren't really in trouble coming to look at it.

I think you have a team capable of winning europa anyway with Sturridge. Sevilla+Napoli+Spurs you have a better team than in all honesty.

i think looking at form and seeing how we can play even without sturridge, it isn't that bad.
performance wise we look MUCH better but results wise, we still aren't scoring enough.
however if sturridge doesn't get another injury this season (big if), i can see us absolutely steamrolling some teams even in the EL.

united are looking worse and worse but arsenal are gaining some form.
looking at the next month, it's gonna get real interesting.

Original post by Mackay
Song's a decent shout, but I don't see what he offers us that is different to Lucas.

i don't see the point us buying a replacement for lucas unless it's a near world class replacement.
lucas does his job and he looks pretty good in our current system.
when can matures, bring him in and we'll be fine.

song doesn't seem like a worthwhile option imo - not even sure he's even an upgrade.
defensive midfielders are often some of the most overlooked, under appreciated but most important players on a team.
lucas will sit back and do his job but song just seems to want to get forward and be in the spotlight.
i know it's been mentioned several times, but could somebody tell me why getting ter Stegen on even a 6 month loan would be a bad idea?
it really seems like a no brainer - even if he is out of favour at barca, he's surely a better option than mignolet.
not to mention the kid wants league matches and he'll be looking to prove himself.

mognolet made a few excellent saves in the chelsea match, but we all know he'll make up for that over the next few weeks with his customary howlers.
February is a month which, like it or not, will come to define our season.
Original post by Mackay
February is a month which, like it or not, will come to define our season.

of course it is - it's gonna shape the entire league.

it's gonna show us how well our squad can rotate and cope with a populous fixture list.
it's gonna show us whether our primary target is top 4 our a europa league win.
it's gonna show us how we can perform with sturridge, a.k.a: a "full strength" side for the first time in 5 months.
Original post by Lúcio
of course it is - it's gonna shape the entire league.

it's gonna show us how well our squad can rotate and cope with a populous fixture list.
it's gonna show us whether our primary target is top 4 our a europa league win.
it's gonna show us how we can perform with sturridge, a.k.a: a "full strength" side for the first time in 5 months.

With the way the league is this season, wouldn't be surprised if we beat Tottenham, Southampton and Besiktas and then lose to ****ing Everton.

Quick Reply

Latest