The Student Room Group

How important is English GCSE/IGCSE?

I have failed GCSE/IGCSE English twice (2 Ds) over the last two years. I'm retaking it twice this year, but almost definitely will fail both times. I got 28% in the mock for one of them. I am considering additional English tests, but feel I will fail them too.

I have four offers for maths and physics (MMath/MPhys/MSci) that all include GCSE English. I have heard that universities can change offers to unconditional after A-level/STEP results come out, but how realistic/common is this?

I will accept Bath's and Warwick's offers, which are A*AA, plus C in GCSE English. I am taking extra maths modules (FP3, FP4, maybe M3, aiming for 95-100% in each). I am aiming for A*A*A*AA, plus 1, 1, 1 in STEP, which would put me 280 UCAS points over the offer, plus the STEP grades. Would this normally be enough to make up for the lack of GCSE English?
If this isn't enough, what A-level/STEP/other grades would I need?

Also, assuming that I get a good degree classification for my master's degree, how much will the lack of English GCSE affect postgraduate study applications or job applications (obviously in the fields of maths or physics)?

edit: A-levels are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by morgan8002
I have failed GCSE/IGCSE English twice (2 Ds) over the last two years. I'm retaking it twice this year, but almost definitely will fail both times. I got 28% in the mock for one of them. I am considering additional English tests, but feel I will fail them too.

I have four offers for maths and physics (MMath/MPhys/MSci) that all include GCSE English. I have heard that universities can change offers to unconditional after A-level/STEP results come out, but how realistic/common is this?

I will accept Bath's and Warwick's offers, which are A*AA, plus C in GCSE English. I am taking extra maths modules (FP3, FP4, maybe M3, aiming for 95-100% in each). I am aiming for A*A*A*AA, plus 1, 1, 1 in STEP, which would put me 280 UCAS points over the offer, plus the STEP grades. Would this normally be enough to make up for the lack of GCSE English?

Also, assuming that I get a good degree classification for my master's degree, how much will the lack of English GCSE affect postgraduate study applications or job applications (obviously in the fields of maths or physics)?

You appear to have been badly adviseed. A good pass in GCSE English is more important that a fifth A level and it is never intended that anyone takes all 3 STEP papers. You would be far better off driooppng one of these things and concentrating on passing English. You appear fairly literate you CAN pass it. Stop thinking you can't pass and put your effort into other things.
Original post by Compost
You appear to have been badly adviseed. A good pass in GCSE English is more important that a fifth A level and it is never intended that anyone takes all 3 STEP papers. You would be far better off driooppng one of these things and concentrating on passing English. You appear fairly literate you CAN pass it. Stop thinking you can't pass and put your effort into other things.

I am only taking 4 A2s this year. I took maths early and got an A*. Even if I dropped a STEP paper, I would still have to put in as much work just taking two. For example if I took STEP II-III, I would have to practice using STEP I as well.

For my A-level subjects I can work for to get good grades, but my English won't improve no matter how much work I put into it.

I thought I could pass it two years ago, but experience has taught me better.
I am only taking 4 A2s this year. I took maths early and got an A*. Even if I dropped a STEP paper, I would still have to put in as much work just taking two. For example if I took STEP II-III, I would have to practice using STEP I as well.

For my A-level subjects I can work for to get good grades, but my English won't improve no matter how much work I put into it.

You need GCSE English, it's incredibly important. I had an A* at GCSE and would be willing to try to help you if you need help. What are you struggling with in particular?
Get yourself an Eng Lang tutor and get it over with. It's an easy GCSE if you take the time to understand the spec/what they're looking for in the answers. Half of it's comprehension.

If you feel that you find it hard to read/can't formulate ideas on paper, then get to your GP and get checked for any cognitive disorders (dyslexia, dyspraxia etc. etc. blah blah blah). At the very least you'll be afford extra time. If you are diagnosed, contact your uni and ask them if a D will do.

Have no shame in e-mailing your unis and asking them what they would accept!

EDIT: Post-grad, nobody will give a hoot. Also, it's tricky to get into any decent degree without it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by All_TheCyanide
You need GCSE English, it's incredibly important. I had an A* at GCSE and would be willing to try to help you if you need help. What are you struggling with in particular?

I am taking AQA IGCSE and CIE IGCSE.
I scraped a pass in the coursework for AQA last year(~80%UMS essay, 30%UMS speaking and listening), so need to scrape a pass in the exam.
For CIE, I need an average of a pass between two exams.

Just the exams in general.
Reply 6

You're clearly bright and functionally literate, you CAN pass English. See if you can get some one to one help. It may be there's a specification more suited to you than the ones you've tried.
Original post by AdamskiUK
Get yourself an Eng Lang tutor and get it over with. It's an easy GCSE if you take the time to understand the spec/what they're looking for in the answers. Half of it's comprehension.

If you feel that you find it hard to read/can't formulate ideas on paper, then get to your GP and get checked for any cognitive disorders (dyslexia, dyspraxia etc. etc. blah blah blah). At the very least you'll be afford extra time. If you are diagnosed, contact your uni and ask them if a D will do.

Have no shame in e-mailing your unis and asking them what they would accept!

I had a tutor the year before last and it helped at the time (still failed), but I don't think it would help now.

I can read fine. I might have dyspraxia, but can use a laptop in exams.
I had a tutor the year before last and it helped at the time (still failed), but I don't think it would help now.

I can read fine. I might have dyspraxia, but can use a laptop in exams.

Having somebody pointing out tips and tricks for comprehension etc. etc. blah blah blah is always handy. You forget them pretty quickly. Give your uni a bell, anonymously (or get a mate to do it), and ask them what their approach is.
Original post by Compost
You're clearly bright and functionally literate, you CAN pass English. See if you can get some one to one help. It may be there's a specification more suited to you than the ones you've tried.

I have tried AQA English GCSE and AQA English IGCSE. This year I'm taking AQA IGCSE English and CIE IGCSE first language English.

Any GCSEs I would automatically lose 40-50% as I wouldn't be able to do coursework.
This leaves AQA, CIE, EdExcel IGCSE English or AQA, WJEC English language.

WJEC I would lose 20% as I can't do coursework, so this is eliminated.

CIE can be taken as it doesn't clash with the others.
AQA Edexcel IGCSE English and AQA IGCSE English language all have exams on the same day and I also have a chemistry retake that day. Two hours of English exam in a day I may be able to survive, but four-six hours, then a chemistry exam I cannot. So I can only take one of the last three. My college offers some support for the AQA IGCSE English, plus I already have coursework, so I'm taking that as well as the CIE one.
(edited 9 years ago)

It is very important as Imperial are not even giving me unconditional only because I don't have B for English, such Bonkers!!!
Original post by Raymat
It is very important as Imperial are not even giving me unconditional only because I don't have B for English, such Bonkers!!!

What did you apply for?
What did you apply for?

BSc Biotechnology
Thanks for the replies. bump
Bump
bump

A good grade in English GCSE is more important than a fifth A-level - some postgrad study/job applications will require a minimum GCSE English grade - at least A/B - even if you do have five A-levels at A/A* - perhaps you could ask the careers advisor or someone at your school/college for advice? they'll probably have more information, but good luck (:
Original post by happysmile
A good grade in English GCSE is more important than a fifth A-level - some postgrad study/job applications will require a minimum GCSE English grade - at least A/B - even if you do have five A-levels at A/A* - perhaps you could ask the careers advisor or someone at your school/college for advice? they'll probably have more information, but good luck (:

Getting good grades in 5 A-levels is much more feasible than getting a good grade in GCSE English. With enough chances (I only have another 2 before university), a C might be attainable, but A-B is just impossible.

People usually just say it's very important without giving it any definite value, so it's hard to see what the implications of lacking it are.
I am (kind of) in the same position as yours. As I have a C in english, but I always thought it doesn't matter much, since I'm doing six A levels (nine maths modules + the three sciences) + at least one step paper (and this is my first year doing A levels). I don't think I could really do better than a C tbh; so I gave up on trying lol, hopefully Cambridge sees my STEP results before my GCSEs next year.
Original post by gagafacea1
I am (kind of) in the same position as yours. As I have a C in english, but I always thought it doesn't matter much, since I'm doing six A levels (nine maths modules + the three sciences) + at least one step paper (and this is my first year doing A levels). I don't think I could really do better than a C tbh; so I gave up on trying lol, hopefully Cambridge sees my STEP results before my GCSEs next year.

If you have a C, then it doesn't matter for most places. Cambridge don't care about GCSE English anyway, I asked them and then applied there.

Quick Reply

Latest