The Student Room Group

why do people use the word 'UGLY' so freely these days?

i feel like the word is thrown around around so much these days, particularly to describe one's own or others' physical appearance. I believe that NOBODY is ugly physically. we all have traits that are attractive and looks are subjective anyway. I have no problem calling someone's personality ugly but it upsets me when people use the term to describe themselves or others in terms of looks.

this is such a hippy post but its open for discussion :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder - it's just some beholders have disfunctional eyes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why are you comfortable calling someone's personality ugly but not their looks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TorpidPhil
Beauty isn't in the eye of the beholder - it's just some beholders have disfunctional eyes.

don't you mean is*?
Original post by Secretnerd123
don't you mean is*?

No. That's precisely what I don't mean :tongue:

Read it again XD
Original post by channies
Why are you comfortable calling someone's personality ugly but not their looks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

because nobody chose to look how they are so insulting a person's height, colour, hair texture etc. is just stupid imo. but people DO get to choose how they act towards others (to some extent) so i have no problem calling those who have horrible personalities (rude, obnoxious etc.) ugly (i'll ofcourse make it obvious its their personality thats ugly, not their looks)
No. That's precisely what I don't mean :tongue:

Read it again XD

ah i get it now lol
because nobody chose to look how they are so insulting a person's height, colour, hair texture etc. is just stupid imo. but people DO get to choose how they act towards others (to some extent) so i have no problem calling those who have horrible personalities (rude, obnoxious etc.) ugly (i'll ofcourse make it obvious its their personality thats ugly, not their looks)

Nobody chooses to look how they are?? Never heard of piercings, make up, tattoos, hair dye, cosmetic surgery etc?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Veggiechic6
Nobody gets to choose how they look?? Never heard of piercings, make up, tattoos, hair dye, cosmetic surgery etc?

those things can change you TO AN EXTENT (unless its extreme plastic surgery where the person looks unrecognisable i.e michael jackson or renee zellweger) but you can't ever change your natural looks. ah i dont make sense but i hope you know what im sating.
Reply 9
my thread shoulda been more specific perhaps

when i said "ugly" girls i meant according to society b/c society is the one with the stereotypes. so girls like bjork or suzi quatro whom i think pretty would be ugly in that context. similarly nerdy girls are stereotyped as ugly tho IMO they are not
Reply 10
k lol
Original post by Gax
k lol

dont K me :unimpressed:
1) some people are ugly- get over it
2) nothing wrong with the word
Original post by R Dragon
1) some people are ugly- get over it
2) nothing wrong with the word

nobody is ugly lol
nobody is ugly lol

That's your own outwardly perception, but you're not telling me you can w*** to Shrek
Reply 15
i feel like the word is thrown around around so much these days, particularly to describe one's own or others' physical appearance. I believe that NOBODY is ugly physically. we all have traits that are attractive and looks are subjective anyway. I have no problem calling someone's personality ugly but it upsets me when people use the term to describe themselves or others in terms of looks.

this is such a hippy post but its open for discussion :tongue:

These days?

People didn't used to? When? :s-smilie:
That's your own outwardly perception, but you're not telling me you can w*** to Shrek

is shrek human?

:rofl:

:toofunny:

wait wait....

:laugh:
Reply 18

[video="youtube;MxTng4FWxBs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxTng4FWxBs[/video]

How many brain cells are you missing?
There is a difference between attractiveness and ugliness.
I also believe than no normal person is truly ugly looking.

Quick Reply

Latest