The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
They might fine him for his New Era cap now. Jesus Christ. It's an NFL sponsor.

Americans on some comment boards really have let capitalism go to their heads. I've legitimately just seen 'The NFL would be nothing without the players' responded to with 'The players would be nothing without the NFL.' As if some other equal and potentially less draconian professional football body would not have been established in it's stead.
Here's my third mock draft. I got heavily criticized for having Mariota slide, just after the Rose Bowl, and before the CFB Playoff Final, due to team needs elsewhere...so now, the NY Jets will have to trade for him if they want him. I've included a few trades, and a few 'out on a limb' picks. Hopefully we can get a clearer picture of where we stand on the draft after the combine.

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/31143/1
The Lynch news cycle of doom...
Reply 264
^^^ No words for that ridiculousness. Sorry I've not been hot on updating the 1st post, uni and the aftermath of flu are having my life!

Marshawn Lynch Round 3 was the best yet! I'm torn on who I want to win the big game. Not arsed about either team. I guess I can watch as a fan of the game then, may not be a bad thing as I think it's going to be a cracker.
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Oh no...............as someone who took a 400-level Poli-sci class on the Presidency...that makes me really sad...Of the big sporting traditions, the Superbowl is one of the youngest....I really hope they're joking...
I am so excited!
Original post by jammy4041
Oh no...............as someone who took a 400-level Poli-sci class on the Presidency...that makes me really sad...Of the big sporting traditions, the Superbowl is one of the youngest....I really hope they're joking...

As someone who has no formal education in American presidents but is literate, that probably makes me equally sad.

Josh Gordon's open letter to the media is really sad. Kind of crazy that the fans are being robbed of seeing such a great talent for such tiny reasons. Dude wasn't allowed to touch a drop of alcohol during the entire season and off season as a condition of his reinstatement. How many people criticizing could even manage that?
Original post by SmashConcept
As someone who has no formal education in American presidents but is literate, that probably makes me equally sad.

Josh Gordon's open letter to the media is really sad. Kind of crazy that the fans are being robbed of seeing such a great talent for such tiny reasons. Dude wasn't allowed to touch a drop of alcohol during the entire season and off season as a condition of his reinstatement. How many people criticizing could even manage that?

Yeah,...

I have just seen his open letter...and it quite a sad situation. Stephen A. Smith really comes across as a jumped up fool, from what I've seen of his show on ESPN...but you know, compared to what a lot of NFL stars have done, Josh Gordon is getting hit harder by the NFL. Yes, it followed him in college...but having a few drinks after the regular season was over...seems bad..I don't know how well that could have been communicated.

I think of worse offenders who got let of lightly by the league. Beat up your fiancee unconscious in an elavator? Kill a guy drunk driving? Take PEDs and Aderall to mask the steriods...Place bounties on other players, and you're welcome in this league.
I for some reason decided to venture onto the seahawks fan forum and jesus is it horrendous. I thought at times the Patriots one was bad but Christ almighty are they a stuck up bunch :lol:

That Josh Gordon letter was very sad to read. The league really came down hard on him for something which really I don't think what he did was that bad.
I tend not to go on the 'Hawks forum, it is one of the most annoying places! I may be a fan but if we lose to to the Pats it really isn't the worst thing ever. Obviously would love to win but to lose to a great team like this is not embarrassing at all.

Also think Josh Gordon got screwed over mightily by the league. Goodell needs to really think about his response to the letter.
Also I have a few little offseason bold predictions for you all: Lynch to the Raiders for their first round pick this year and then that pick to the Chiefs (for this and next years first rounders) where they take Amari Cooper. Seahawks then take an RB with the 18th pick.

Also Maxwell to the Eagles, which shores up the Philly secondary and prompts Chip Kelly to trade with Tennessee - Nick Foles and the 19th pick for the 2nd overall, where they take Mariota (Winston to the Bucs).

They're bold predictions for a reason :wink:
I don't think the commissioner needs to respond. As much as I'm on Gordon's side, he admits that being tee-total for something like a year was a condition of his reinstatement, and he admits that he broke it. It is a ridiculous condition, and I don't understand how the league benefits from basically guaranteeing him a suspension with a rule few people could follow, but it was the rule and he broke it.
Thoughts on making a superbowl specific thread on Sunday to catch the attention of newbies?

I can merge them afterwards and it'll be alright but could be useful for the non regulars that will be up watching their one game a year.
Merging threads is always annoying, it's a sports forum, it won't kill people to have 2 football threads on the day of the biggest annual sporting event in the world. If you want to make a new thread just make it and let it disappear when people are no longer interested :dontknow:
Original post by Motorbiker
Thoughts on making a superbowl specific thread on Sunday to catch the attention of newbies?

I can merge them afterwards and it'll be alright but could be useful for the non regulars that will be up watching their one game a year.

Do it. Everyone post something funny on the front page to make it cool, too.
Original post by Wattsy
Honestly I think if the NFL really wants Media Day taken seriously by all the players then it needs to get rid of the fancy dress and not have Chya Mayo asking Stalin what his favourite stuffed animal is. That would make media day suck though. Chya was brilliant, fancy dress is always entertaining, without the fun light hearted bits, media day would just be an unending press conference which nobody would want to watch. If the NFL really can't hack Marshawn Lynch answering 29/29 questions 'I'm just here so I don't get fined' then they should suspend him from the Superbowl. Only really twatty Americans who endorse corporate slavery would see that as a good result but given the craziness and continuous blunders of Commish this year would anyone be surprised?

Original post by SmashConcept
Man it's such bull****. Little known fact: last season Lynch NEVER appeared for the media. The NFL had a rule that it was a fineable offense, but that they never acted unless it was actually reported to them. The Seattle media never had a problem, but in the playoffs when the national media showed up those ****ing hacks reported him to the league and started this whole business. And you know what the worst worst worst thing is? Well answer this question: when was the last time you even looked at a post game quote from a player who wasn't Marshawn Lynch? Exactly. You don't really give a **** about someone's sincere answer to some dumb **** question like "what do you think about the way your team mates blocked today?" Neither do I, neither does anyone else. This stuff Lynch is doing gets more attention, gives people more to write about, allows old white men to sell their outrage to other old white men for more money than anything else out there. As cool as Marshawn looks, the media are winning this game and it's not even close. I would much prefer it if they just all gathered for a party in Peter King's Manhattan apartment and choked on the smog of latte breath and self righteousness so that this rightfully dying industry could just snuff out once and for all.

Did you guys see that underwear company that said anything that Marshawn gets fined for in media day AND for any celebrations in the Superbowl itself/ interviews after, they will reimburse to him in the form of a donation to his charity. Up to $100,000 too. So the NFL really can't win and Lynch really won't care haha! All NFL fines go to charity anyway too :tongue:
Jesus those two need a show together :rofl:

Starting to really get nervous now for the big game...
Is everyone going to be supporting the Seahawks? I swear I saw a poll which only showed New England supporting the Patriots and the rest of the US backing Seahawks with the international poll answers being largely Seahawks too, it's ridiculous.

I'm going to support the Pats! But whether they'll do it is another story, the Seahawks are kind of superior this season but at the same time, the Pats are and always will be a difficult team to beat.

Quick Reply

Latest