The Student Room Group

Your Dream University?

Scroll to see replies

St Andrews or Edinburgh. :colondollar: I love Scotland and both are very good universities.
Original post by drowzee
St Andrews or Edinburgh. :colondollar: I love Scotland and both are very good universities.

Have you applied to either of them? :smile:
Original post by Chris Cartner
Like the college from the film Accepted if you've seen it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually thought that movie was half decent o_o
Honestly, University of Sheffield is the closest existing uni that is my dream uni and they have given me a conditional offer for my dream course :biggrin:
I'd really like to go to Oxford. It's not too likely to happen though and I have virtually no idea what ELSE to do with my life though! :/ I've got free entry into 2 best unis in my country for a lot of interesting courses (Law, Economy, modern languages...) but as I only need to pass my final exams and I'd get in no matter my grades, it feels like too little of a challenge to even consider this option. On the other hand I don't know what foreign unis I could consider, like, if I was to go abroad, I'd rather it was one of the very best unis I'd go to...
cambridge
Original post by Rikke1996
Have you applied to either of them? :smile:

No, I'm only in the lower sixth. Next year I will if I get the grades. :biggrin:
My dream university is LSE!Didn't apply there(my grades weren't good enough)but I'd love to do masters at a top 10 uni for Economics.LSE still tops my list but I can add MIT etc.
Oxford! And I still can't get over the fact that I've got an offer. To all you people here applying in the future, I really hope you get to experience this feeling :h: *resumes cartwheeling around house*
Original post by Rifleboy123
Oxford! And I still can't get over the fact that I've got an offer. To all you people here applying in the future, I really hope you get to experience this feeling :h: *resumes cartwheeling around house*

I've got offers from Manchester,Nottingham and QMUL for Economics.I wanted to go to LSE but due to my okay AS levels I couldn't apply there!
Original post by Skill Twix
I've got offers from Manchester,Nottingham and QMUL for Economics.I wanted to go to LSE but due to my okay AS levels I couldn't apply there!

But as you've said, you could always do your masters at LSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iggy Azalea
In my imagination:

A red-brick college town filled with parks, libraries and coffee shops. Occasional club and pub for going out. Loads of different activities, like going to the cinema, bowling and ice skating. Nice landscape set in the hills.

Complete freedom to study whatever you want, like a liberal arts degree but with more focused modules (i.e not being limited to pure humanities).

Exams/Coursework being regular, and therefore no need for a huge exam season that ruins the experience. Workload to remain constant and exams to be conducted electronically, rather than written.

Degrees cost-free and with those boringly long holidays being used to attend summer schools around the world. And cheap studio accommodation.

Oh and an eternal sunset...

Agree. Where do I sign, darling?
Original post by HarryDn
I went there, academics are sub par for a lot of courses TBH and weights room was tiny

How do you know that, you only studied one degree subject? The uni is the most targeted by elite graduate employers along with Manchester for a reason. It is excellent.
Reply 73
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
How do you know that, you only studied one degree subject? The uni is the most targeted by elite graduate employers along with Manchester for a reason. It is excellent.

undoubtedly good for *some* courses (law, economics etc) but having had a wide range of friends on other ones many were dissatisfied :yep:

the uni has a lot of undergrads TBH, treats some of em a bit like a cash cow
Original post by HarryDn
undoubtedly good for *some* courses (law, economics etc) but having had a wide range of friends on other ones many were dissatisfied :yep:

the uni has a lot of undergrads TBH, treats some of em a bit like a cash cow

Maybe, but so is Leeds, and Manchester, and any large university. St Andrews has PhD students teaching bits and bobs throughout the 4 year degrees, that doesn't happen at Lecture or seminars at Nottingham? What about all those new refurbs and developments they have built, mainly at Jubilee Park? Money has been poured to make it a fab place to be.
(edited 9 years ago)
UCL
KCL
ICL
and
Harvard
Reply 76
Maybe, but so is Leeds, and Manchester, and any large university. St Andrews has PhD students teaching bits and bobs throughout the 4 year degrees, that doesn't happen at Lecture or seminars at Nottingham? What about all those new refurbs and developments they have built, mainly at Jubilee Park? Money has been poured to make it a fab place to be.

thats the thing tho, a lot of students at nottingham feel like they've been pouring money onto the campus etc. and not enough into actual academic resources. fully agree that its got some of the best facilities/societies in the country but the academics on several courses were apparently lacking. for example little access to personal tutors etc., poorly written handouts, that sort of thing. my friend who does English had a set of handouts for one module that were literally all written in shorthand and when she and other peeps complained to the department they did nothing b/c the professor who wrote them "had more important things to do".

several other people i know were agreed that their courses felt like they were paying mostly for "a piece of paper" b/c the teaching quality was poor
Original post by HarryDn
thats the thing tho, a lot of students at nottingham feel like they've been pouring money onto the campus etc. and not enough into actual academic resources. fully agree that its got some of the best facilities/societies in the country but the academics on several courses were apparently lacking. for example little access to personal tutors etc., poorly written handouts, that sort of thing. my friend who does English had a set of handouts for one module that were literally all written in shorthand and when she and other peeps complained to the department they did nothing b/c the professor who wrote them "had more important things to do".

several other people i know were agreed that their courses felt like they were paying mostly for "a piece of paper" b/c the teaching quality was poor

Not many lecturers create quality handouts on Word or Powerpoint these days. They just scribble on a projector with felt, or project a few bullet points, then talk around it in lecture. Laziness to the extreme. They do expect you to manage 70-80% of the learning yourself, they just direct you a bit in class.
Reply 78
Not many lecturers create quality handouts on Word or Powerpoint these days. They just scribble on a projector with felt, or project a few bullet points, then talk around it in lecture. Laziness to the extreme. They do expect you to manage 70% of the learning yourself, they just direct you a bit in class.

apparently the lecturer was bad too, some greek guy who could barely speak english (no racism but obviously students need to understand them)
Reply 79
In England it's Leeds, in america it's dartmouth or princeton.
If you mean like create a uni, I'd say a campus not too far from the city, with year abroads in most subjects like psychology to history, and a red brick, beautiful uni. Cheap acommodation. Typed up exams, help with studying as I find it quite difficult to concentrate when studying.

Quick Reply