The Student Room Group

Implicit differentiation question. How to find the coordinates.

The question is y^2/3 + x^2/3 = 8 with gradient 1. Find the coordinates of the points. (answer is meant to be plus or minus 8 for both x and y)
Now i know how to implicit differentiate. I think i have done it right for this question. But i do not know what to do next in order to find the coordinates.:confused:
Original post by Nirm
The question is y^2/3 + x^2/3 = 8 with gradient 1. Find the coordinates of the points. (answer is meant to be plus or minus 8 for both x and y)
Now i know how to implicit differentiate. I think i have done it right for this question. But i do not know what to do next in order to find the coordinates.:confused:

After you've implictly differentiated, substitute dy/dx =1 and solve simultaneously with the original equation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nirm

differentiate
set gradient function = 1
get a relationship between x and y (some equation)
solve simultaneously with the equation of the curve
Reply 3
Original post by stardude8
After you've implictly differentiated, substitute dy/dx =1 and solve simultaneously with the origninal equation.

Original post by TeeEm
differentiate
set gradient function = 1
get a relationship between x and y (some equation)
solve simultaneously with the equation of the curve

Okay thank you very much guys! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Nirm
Okay thank you very much guys! :smile:

all the best

Quick Reply

Latest