The Student Room Group

unwritten rules of the london underground??

Scroll to see replies

what are those doors at the end of each carriage ? do they open ?
and can you open them whilst the tube is moving ?

I've always been too scared to open one
I have a question yo

You know at the gates, can you use your oyster before the gates close for the person in front of you... Nothing dodgy will happen if you use it before the gates close right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Up quark
I have a question yo

You know at the gates, can you use your oyster before the gates close for the person in front of you... Nothing dodgy will happen if you use it before the gates close right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh you can - the doors will gates will just stay open...

Just don't go through without scanning it - bad things will happen!
Original post by mobbsy91
Yeh you can - the doors will gates will just stay open...

Just don't go through without scanning it - bad things will happen!

Ok, safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Déscartés
I do this regularly and I look around like :smug:to see if anyone's acknowledged my achievement.

It's never acceptable to laugh if your by yourself know matter how funny whatever's on your phone. Apparently it's just weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do it often too. I get so pleased to see myself successfully holding on defenseless while others are fighting for their life and pride to stay stable. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must not say 'excuse me'.
Reply 66
No eye contact. Unless you want to start a tube duel.
Reply 67
Never get on the tube in the early morning being really happy and chipper, people don't like it .... trust me
Original post by Tomsta
Never get on the tube in the early morning being really happy and chipper, people don't like it .... trust me

To be fair though - when people say good morning to me happily on the tube any time before 8am, i wouldnt have had my morning fix of coffee, and would probably still be nursing a hangover - so yeh, i don't appreciate it
Reply 69
Original post by mobbsy91
To be fair though - when people say good morning to me happily on the tube any time before 8am, i wouldnt have had my morning fix of coffee, and would probably still be nursing a hangover - so yeh, i don't appreciate it

I'm a morning person and i bike to the station ergo i'm wide awake by like 7:30
If it's rush hour (which on the tube is pretty much always ) wear extra deodorant... Please...
Original post by Applescruff
If it's rush hour (which on the tube is pretty much always ) wear extra deodorant... Please...

Agreed... - this is an ABSOLUTE MUST. If you don't prepare to have a fallout zone around you - and although you get the extra few cm's of space, everyone knows why...
Under no circumstances should you show a shred of humanity. No talking, no eye contact, sit as far apart as seating allows.
Reply 73
How about: not reading your newspaper in a crowded train during rush hour.
Original post by Tpx
Don't press the "door open" button when the train stops.

Yeah you can. Not meant to though. They're always unlocked in case of emergencies.

is there a chance you could fall down in between the tube ?
Original post by Tpx
Well, I did do a little googling to check that I wasn't wrong, and I found this :eek:: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008728/Passenger-decapitated-tumbling-train-tried-secretly-smoke-cigarette.html

Anyway new trains on the circle line have continuous carriages, which is safer.

He's not a clever lad for trying to smoke on a train - could he not have waited 2 minutes to leave the train? *smh*
Original post by prettyGirl101
how is that possible? go through the beep thing straight after the person in front?

Simply jumping over the gates, I've seen few guys doing that.
Oh, let the passengers first off the train before boarding. Also, stand below the yellow line.. oh yes all I need is an idiot under the train so that I get late to work :erm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ForgetMe
Simply jumping over the gates, I've seen few guys doing that.

How can you do that and not get caught? I once saw I guy slide underneath one. Snaked him out cos I was pissed he was going free

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Déscartés
How can you do that and not get caught? I once saw I guy slide underneath one. Snaked him out cos I was pissed he was going free

Posted from TSR Mobile

They must be doing that when there are no staff at present. I once saw a guy jumping over the gate but did not bother to do anything because nothing would change. I've once reported a guy putting products into his backpack to shop floor staff and nothing happened, so not bothering anymore.

There's also such thing as unfinished journey, considering that they must have started their journey somewhere and then have incomplete journey by jumping over the gates. I believe they charge your Oyster for incomplete journeys unless you can claim your money back with online form if you have an account on Tfl website.
It happened to me few times either I've forgotten to touch onto pink reader for interchange journeys like switching from underground to overground or DLR and once because I went throughout the whole station several times and no pink reader was present :K: So, Tfl returned money back for my incomplete journey :h:

Quick Reply

Latest