The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Accounting and Finance?

Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and I want to go on to study Accounting and Finance at University. I was wondering what are the best Universities for this degree? In terms of prestige, career prospects etc

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abrar Azad
Hi, I am currently in Year 11 and I want to go on to study Accounting and Finance at University. I was wondering what are the best Universities for this degree? In terms of prestige, career prospects etc

Thanks!

Here's a link to a list of uni rankings:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Accounting%20%26%20Finance

I think becoming chartered is more important than which uni you go to.
Reply 2
Original post by ApplyYourself
Here's a link to a list of uni rankings:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Accounting%20%26%20Finance

I think becoming chartered is more important than which uni you go to.

True I guess, and I was also wondering whether an Economics degree would allow you to command a higher salary working in Finance than a degree in Accounting and Finance?

Thanks for the reply btw!
True I guess, and I was also wondering whether an Economics degree would allow you to command a higher salary working in Finance than a degree in Accounting and Finance?

Economics is seen as a more rigorous degree so gets more respect in that sense.

If u want to be an accountant do acc and finance as you'll get more exemptions from the professional bodies.

Also look at the module lists and pick a subject you'll enjoy, it's not all about the money :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ApplyYourself
Economics is seen as a more rigorous degree so gets more respect in that sense.

If u want to be an accountant do acc and finance as you'll get more exemptions from the professional bodies.

Also look at the module lists and pick a subject you'll enjoy, it's not all about the money :smile:

Alright yeah, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
Economics is a science about understanding scarcity (market transactions).

Accounting is about understanding and communicating economic information.

^Very oversimplified example and degree holders of the above fields may get annoyed but that would be my general overview.

As the previous poster said, do whatever you think will interest you! =)

As for the best universities for accounting and finance, I would say that this is pretty accurate:
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb?trk=nav_responsive_tab_edu
Reply 6
Original post by Sakoha
Economics is a science about understanding scarcity (market transactions).

Accounting is about understanding and communicating economic information.

^Very oversimplified example and degree holders of the above fields may get annoyed but that would be my general overview.

As the previous poster said, do whatever you think will interest you! =)

As for the best universities for accounting and finance, I would say that this is pretty accurate:
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb?trk=nav_responsive_tab_edu

Thanks for the reply! Yeah the link is very helpful, I'm leaning towards studying A&F at either LSE or Warwick, providing I get the grades haha!
Honestly, the rankings of the uni you go to doesn't matter too dearly.

However, if I had to pick the best university for Accounting and Finance I would have to say The University of Warwick.

Having said that, I graduated from Staffordshire Uni (one of the crappest uni's lol) in a fast-track degree in Accounting and Finance with a First. And it was the components of my degree I.e. The fast-track nature, my First (not greatly), my knowledge about the company and industry and my internship experience that got me my job in finance within Atos - studying either CIMA or ACCA (a top 100 grad company). The University I went to was completely overlooked.
(edited 9 years ago)
The guy above me knows nothing hence why he's called mohammed. Staff uni is so good for accounting bruv
Original post by lovs2spoodge
The guy above me knows nothing hence why he's called mohammed. Staff uni is so good for accounting bruv

Staffs is in the top ten for the LOWEST ranked uni's in th UK, so no, it isn't...
It's what you do with your degree that matters. I've found a role in a company that even Russell group uni candidates couldn't get.

I was challenged at my interview about going to staffs (because it's a crap uni) but I was able to back myself with experience and knowledge.
That's what makes the difference in the real world.

And with regard to your petty and fascist comment about my name, I say well done, for showing your level of intellect.
Original post by Mohammad1993
Staffs is in the top ten for the LOWEST ranked uni's in th UK, so no, it isn't...
It's what you do with your degree that matters. I've found a role in a company that even Russell group uni candidates couldn't get.

I was challenged at my interview about going to staffs (because it's a crap uni) but I was able to back myself with experience and knowledge.
That's what makes the difference in the real world.

And with regard to your petty and fascist comment about my name, I say well done, for showing your level of intellect.

I've interned for Goldman, UBS and PwC from Staff and got offers for a graduate job when i finish my degree. Have fun at "Atos" their starting salary of 25k is so cute.
I've interned for Goldman, UBS and PwC from Staff and got offers for a graduate job when i finish my degree. Have fun at "Atos" their starting salary of 25k is so cute.

You retard. All those companies you listed have starting salaries lower than 25k in there grad programmes! Let alone a bloody internship! Your obviously chatting crap. And btw my starting salary is 28k since your so interested.

And I know your chatting because you can't intern 3 times for 3 different companies.
And mate, Atos salaries go up to 56k after 18 months on the programme (completing CIMA, which is paid for). I also get a brand new company car and regular 6 month salary reviews.
But I'm not here to boast; im just giving this fella some genuine advice about Staffs - it's crap.

Just get over the fact that Staffs is a terrible Uni, everyone knows it and it's not getting better. It's full of a bunch of Keele Uni rejects and transfer students from India. The only reason I went their was for the fast-track. I even went there (studied one of the best degrees there - a fast track in Accounting) and got a First Class Honours, and I still admit it's a crap Uni. The workload at my College prior to Uni was more intensive than the work at staffs and that's not even a lie.

like I said: the only thing that got me all my offers (including offers from Baker Tilly, Grant Thorntons, Jaguar and DCP) was my ability to talk about experience and industry knowledge. I was challenged at almost every interview about going to Staffs, and the only back up I had for going their was the fast-track nature of my degree and my First.
Go and take another look at the University League tables you joker.

Do your research before you talk a load of rubbish.
(edited 9 years ago)
You retard. All those companies you listed have starting salaries lower than 25k in there grad programmes! Let alone a bloody internship! Your obviously chatting crap. And btw my starting salary is 28k since your so interested.

And I know your chatting because you can't intern 3 times for 3 different companies.
And mate, Atos salaries go up to 56k after 18 months on the programme (completing CIMA, which is paid for). I also get a brand new company car and regular 6 month salary reviews.
But I'm not here to boast; im just giving this fella some genuine advice about Staffs - it's crap.

Just get over the fact that Staffs is a terrible Uni, everyone knows it and it's not getting better. It's full of a bunch of Keele Uni rejects and transfer students from India. The only reason I went their was for the fast-track. I even went there (studied one of the best degrees there - a fast track in Accounting) and got a First Class Honours, and I still admit it's a crap Uni. The workload at my College prior to Uni was more intensive than the work at staffs and that's not even a lie.

like I said: the only thing that got me all my offers (including offers from Baker Tilly, Grant Thorntons, Jaguar and DCP) was my ability to talk about experience and industry knowledge. I was challenged at almost every interview about going to Staffs, and the only back up I had for going their was the fast-track nature of my degree and my First.
Go and take another look at the University League tables you joker.

Do your research before you talk a load of rubbish.

http://www.thejobcrowd.com/employer/goldman-sachs/salary

RIP to your argument. Are you so ****ing stupid to think investment banks pay less than 25k? I'm not too bothered about league tables, by the time i'm 25 i'll be earning what you will be at 60. Enjoy being a averagely paid accountant on 50k for the rest of your life whilst ill be earning that when i graduate. No need to be mad because you're bad.
Haha, I was offered role in DB investment banking, salary goes up to 130k AFTER 10 years of pure slavery so no thanks. And what does that link prove? Anyone can post on the jobcrowd website you retard. Get an official link.

And mate, I finished my degree a year early, I'm 20, by the time im 21 I'll be on 45k, when I'm 23 I'll be on 56k, so in estimation I would be earning 100k plus before I'm 30.

And do you really expect me to believe that you've even had an offer from any company with your retarded grammar? Get a grip you idiot.
Staffs Uni publish their graduate developments, and only 13 people out of the whole University have ever gone to work in the top firms from the A&F course in the past 10 years (one of them being me).

In fact, if your genuinely telling the truth then prove it. Tell me your name and I can have it verified with the uni.
If not then keep your mouth shut.
Your never going to find yourself a grad job with that attitude and low level of intelect.

And btw, Goldmen Sacks doesn't even fall into the top 100 grad companies... Wheras Atos does ... Checkmate. Retard.
(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.thejobcrowd.com/employer/goldman-sachs/salary

RIP to your argument. Are you so ****ing stupid to think investment banks pay less than 25k? I'm not too bothered about league tables, by the time i'm 25 i'll be earning what you will be at 60. Enjoy being a averagely paid accountant on 50k for the rest of your life whilst ill be earning that when i graduate. No need to be mad because you're bad.

Oh, and I've just realised your lying ... Because apparently you say that you've interned 3 times? So you graduated? But now your saying your going to graduate? And have an offer?
Sorry but anyone reading your comments will know your lying. Just give up.
Oh, and I've just realised your lying ... Because apparently you say that you've interned 3 times? So you graduated? But now your saying your going to graduate? And have an offer?
Sorry but anyone reading your comments will know your lying. Just give up.

foundation year summer intern, first year summer intern, second year summer intern now in my third year. Oh Mohammed go to bed mate before you gobble up anymore of that bait
foundation year summer intern, first year summer intern, second year summer intern now in my third year. Oh Mohammed go to bed mate before you gobble up anymore of that bait

Read my previous post you idiot...

And LMFAO HAHAHAHAHAHHA, you had to do a foundation year at staffs Uni? Where the requirements are the lowest of all Uni's? Hahahahahahha .... And you seriously expect me to believe your bs.

oh and btw, you can't do internships in a foundation year or a first year of uni, it's either between 2-3rd or once you've graduated. Man you don't know anything!

Oh man, I'm done... Just get a job at Pizza Hut mate XD
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha, I was offered role in DB investment banking, salary goes up to 130k AFTER 10 years of pure slavery so no thanks. And what does that link prove? Anyone can post on the jobcrowd website you retard. Get an official link.

And mate, I finished my degree a year early, I'm 20, by the time im 21 I'll be on 45k, when I'm 23 I'll be on 56k, so in estimation I would be earning 100k plus before I'm 30.

And do you really expect me to believe that you've even had an offer from any company with your retarded grammar? Get a grip you idiot.
Staffs Uni publish their graduate developments, and only 13 people out of the whole University have ever gone to work in the top firms from the A&F course in the past 10 years (one of them being me).

In fact, if your genuinely telling the truth then prove it. Tell me your name and I can have it verified with the uni.
If not then keep your mouth shut.
Your never going to find yourself a grad job with that attitude and low level of intelect.

And btw, Goldmen Sacks doesn't even fall into the top 100 grad companies... Wheras Atos does ... Checkmate. Retard.

There is no need to cry m80. You're going to spend the rest of your life earning an average wage it's okay not all people can get into the goldman sachs like me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9500941/Investment-banks-raise-starting-salaries-to-attract-graduates-put-off-by-scandals.html

I'm going to stop baiting now because it's stopped being funny. I've never been to staffs uni it's a **** hole, but you my friend have and your family must have been disappointed in you going there. Anyway enough typing here feel free to inbox me if you're still crying because you're going to lead a fairly ****ty life and i'll try get back to you. TAKBIR !!!!!
Read my previous post you idiot...

And LMFAO HAHAHAHAHAHHA, you had to do a foundation year at staffs Uni? Where the requirements are the lowest of all Uni's? Hahahahahahha .... And you seriously expect me to believe your bs.

oh and btw, you can't do internships in a foundation year or a first year of uni, it's either between 2-3rd or once you've graduated. Man you don't know anything!

Oh man, I'm done... Just get a job at Pizza Hut mate XD

No reply from Ahmed. Can only presume you're crying in a corner. Rest in kill sweet prince

Just to say, at LSE you could make your economics degree very finance heavy by taking AC100, FM212, then an FM3xx each year. It would be an interesting way to go about it I think. You should look into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending