The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
With the way the league is this season, wouldn't be surprised if we beat Tottenham, Southampton and Besiktas and then lose to ****ing Everton.

yeah i agree - it's just one of those years.
anyway, let's just focus on the next game.
big sam was spot on saying we're in our best form of the season, although west ham are no pushovers either.
at anfield there shouldn't be an issue though.

do you think sturridge will start?
Original post by Lúcio

do you think sturridge will start?

Nope.

Would be surprised if we took all three points this weekend. Think we looked leggy against Bolton last week, and Chelsea in midweek will have deflated us physically and mentally. I can see it being a stalemate to be honest, and I wouldn't be surprised if Big Sam is prioritising the FA Cup now that all the big boys bar Arsenal, us and United are out.

He'll fancy lifting a trophy and leading the Hammers into the Olympic Stadium. Heralds a new era.

I'm hopeful for three points, but I'm realistic and think we may be held to a draw this weekend. We just don't see to have enough to get out of sight recently - bar the Swansea game at Anfield, and they were DIRE. It's likely to be low scoring.
Honestly don't think Mackay has ever predicted us to win anything. The new Isambard.
Original post by KFC Buffet
Honestly don't think Mackay has ever predicted us to win anything. The new Isambard.

I predicted us to win the ****ing league last season and got raped as a result in the QOTY thread.

I'm pessimistic when it comes to a post-Suarez Liverpool.
Original post by Mackay
I predicted us to win the ****ing league last season and got raped as a result in the QOTY thread.

I'm pessimistic when it comes to a post-Suarez Liverpool.

Oh you were the only football fan that predicted us to win the league, that makes sense. Getting raped in the QOTY thread shouldn't mean a thing ffs grow up
Original post by KFC Buffet
Oh you were the only football fan that predicted us to win the league, that makes sense. Getting raped in the QOTY thread shouldn't mean a thing ffs grow up

Wtf, m8.
media reporting that we are in for Ings, loan back to Burnley for the rest of the season.

We'll have Sturridge, Lambert, Balotelli, Origi, Ings, Borini as our strikers for next season as it stands if we get Ings
Reply 9567
What's Ings like as a player? Quick? Skillful?
Original post by mr tim
media reporting that we are in for Ings, loan back to Burnley for the rest of the season.

We'll have Sturridge, Lambert, Balotelli, Origi, Ings, Borini as our strikers for next season as it stands if we get Ings

Oh **** off.

Just checked...it's being reported everywhere.

Please don't be true. Please. Please.
Lmao ****ing Danny Ings :lol:, since 2007 you guys haven't attracted a big player. Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea all have big players I can't see a single big player that you guys can attract. I personally hope this is true so I can laugh :smile:.
Moving country if we sign him tbh.
Please be true. Ima die from laughter if you still have one world class striker in Sturridge for next season with Origi, Ings and Borini/Lambert as back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope the Ings rumours aren't true, we need to be throwing money at the likes of PSG, Bayern etc, not buying beneath ourselves.
Original post by Mackay
Oh **** off.

Just checked...it's being reported everywhere.

Please don't be true. Please. Please.

why.
just why.

why can't we just spend 40-50m on a proven player who we can use for several years minimum and have done with it?
the amount of money we waste buying players we hope will develop is laughable.

didn't rodgers say we need to buy proven talent now?
i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure ings isn't that.
(edited 9 years ago)
wait, he's out of contract at the end of the season.
if we're signing him now and loaning him back to burnley, surely we weren't stupid enough to pay money for him?
Original post by Lúcio
why.
just why.

why can't we just spend 40-50m on a proven player who we can use for several years minimum and have done with it?

Simply because all the big transfer kitty was wasted this summer on potential rather than ready made proven players. I dont even think you guys will even invest heavily in the summer apart from maybe bringing in another GK, Ings as the striker and a DM. Possibly even a CB? All of those will probably be signings based on potential around the ages of 19-23 again rather than players who are up there with the best in thier positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
why.
just why.

Lucio man, you really need to get real.

The Suarez money is all but gone so you can't just go out and spend £40-50m on one player (more than City have ever paid for a player, btw). Liverpool in terms of financial power are 5th in the league, you don't have the money that the bigger teams do.

In any case, any player who would cost that much wouldn't want to go to Liverpool and would cost a bomb in wages.

I agree that Danny Ings is definitely not the answer but you should be looking for bargains in the foreign market and for established players at the teams in the Bundesliga and La Liga who finish like 3rd-7th.

Depay played as striker would be great to see in the league in my opinion.
In retrospect possibly not La Liga just because many of the 2nd tier teams are in better financial positions and won't sell too easily:

Atletico - don't need to expand really. They won't sell the likes of Koke.
Valencia - got loads of money now and don't need to sell.
Bilbao - don't need to sell at all ever cause of their all-basque policy which means that they never sign anyone really but just develop youth. Obviously players do leave but not unless its for big money.

Sevilla, Villareal, Malaga etc. Yeah, sure you should be looking to buy some of their players if they fit your team.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Simply because all the big transfer kitty was wasted this summer on potential rather than ready made proven players. I dont even think you guys will even invest heavily in the summer apart from maybe bringing in another GK, Ings as the striker and a DM. Possibly even a CB? All of those will probably be signings based on potential around the ages of 19-23 again rather than players who are up there with the best in thier positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i feel like the owners will be dubious about investing much more money, especially with rodgers as manager.

but again, if you look at our team it's clear we need current quality - we have enough young players, especially in an attacking sense.
markovic, sterling, coutinho, can - they will all develop in to excellent players, but right now we need to spend that bit extra; if we don't bring in quality and keep up, eventually we'll fall behind the big teams and players like sterling will get scooped up by CL teams.

a GK and striker are absolutely essential.
a CB would be next on the list, especially if Can moves to DM leaving a hole in the back 3 (since lovren clearly isn't good enough).

Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Lucio man, you really need to get real.

The Suarez money is all but gone so you can't just go out and spend £40-50m on one player (more than City have ever paid for a player, btw). Liverpool in terms of financial power are 5th in the league, you don't have the money that the bigger teams do.

In any case, any player who would cost that much wouldn't want to go to Liverpool and would cost a bomb in wages.

I agree that Danny Ings is definitely not the answer but you should be looking for bargains in the foreign market and for established players at the teams in the Bundesliga and La Liga who finish like 3rd-7th.

Depay played as striker would be great to see in the league in my opinion.

what are you talking about?
don't you understand what has happened?
we've spent all our money overpaying on talent for the future, ignoring what we need today.
sometimes you just have to suck it up and spend big because you need the quality and you need it now.

we spend too much time and money faffing about, trying to get the next big thing.
our transfer negotiators are among the worst i've ever seen too.
i couldn't care less about danny ings - he isn't gonna bring the quality we need, and he isn't a top player that will send a message.

arsenal sent a message when they bought ozil.
he didn't work out (few people anticipated him to be useless) but it still showed the world that they meant business.

players like sanchez, costa, fabregas - none of those are particularly young, but they have the ready-made quality that you can inject in to a side and get the ball rolling.
our team isn't bad but we're very evenly spread; we just need one or two players to give us a kick start and a focal point.
Original post by Lúcio
what are you talking about?
don't you understand what has happened?
we've spent all our money overpaying on talent for the future, ignoring what we need today.
sometimes you just have to suck it up and spend big because you need the quality and you need it now.

we spend too much time and money faffing about, trying to get the next big thing.
our transfer negotiators are among the worst i've ever seen too.
i couldn't care less about danny ings - he isn't gonna bring the quality we need, and he isn't a top player that will send a message.

arsenal sent a message when they bought ozil.
he didn't work out (few people anticipated him to be useless) but it still showed the world that they meant business.

players like sanchez, costa, fabregas - none of those are particularly young, but they have the ready-made quality that you can inject in to a side and get the ball rolling.
our team isn't bad but we're very evenly spread; we just need one or two players to give us a kick start and a focal point.

Yes, I agree that sometimes you need to spend big to get the players you need and that established first team players are needed at Liverpool. But Liverpool can't spend £40m on a player, especially since the Suarez money is gone. The money just isn't there.

Also Ozil, Sanchez, Costa, Fabregas, Benzema etc. would not be interested in signing for Liverpool. I don't see how you can't get that. It's not due to board failings that you haven't been signing those players, they just aren't realistic transfers.

That's not me saying that Ings is the best you can get because that isn't true. What I'm saying is that you should be looking at realistic established players not moaning cause you haven't spent £50m on Benzema. This means looking at some of the bigger Bundesliga teams that aren't Bayern, Dortmund or Wolfsburg or at Villareal etc. for your "established" players.

You aren't buying any superstars from Bayern or PSG or Real anytime soon, put it that way.

Quick Reply

Latest