The Student Room Group

why do people use the word 'UGLY' so freely these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
There are people that are ugly on the outside but true beauty comes from the inside.

i've never seen anybody truly ugly physically in the 20 years i've been alive

Original post by hamix.forllz
This. She'd probably say it can be changed, but then personality is set from childhood.

i agree that certain childhood experiences (like getting abuse for instance) can influence the person's personality but in general, you have power to change aspects of your personality (e.g. anger management classes if you have a temper or making a conscious decision to stop being timid and letting people walk all over you)
Original post by hamix.forllz
it's been known for a long time that the basic elements of a human's personality are set as a toddler and then remain pretty fixed from 5-10 years. read a psychology text, it will tell you further.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/03/07/personalities-can-indeed-change-over-time/35663.html
My personality has changed since i was young.
I have a mixed personaility which has come forth from many interactions with many different people.
Original post by al_94
There are people that are ugly on the outside but true beauty comes from the inside.

Go on show us a picture of a person you think is ugly.
The media has fooled all of you into thinking if you dont look a certain way, you are deemed unattractive and therefore ugly as someone has suggested.
Reply 43
Original post by Secretnerd123

Ok let's rephrase that then have you ever seen someone who is unattractive?
Original post by Zenarthra
Broken link pal.

Check again :colone:
Original post by al_94
Ok let's rephrase that then have you ever seen someone who is unattractive?

yup
Reply 46
yup

What you call unattractive others may say they are ugly
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Check again :colone:

HAHAHAHAH dayum you got me. xD
That pic funny af rofl!
But its not real. :tongue:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
:rofl:

:toofunny:

wait wait....

:laugh:

What's so funny? :huff:
I am ugly physically. Total munter, 1 out of 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Icebaker
I am ugly physically. Total munter, 1 out of 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

pic?
Original post by Zenarthra
HAHAHAHAH dayum you got me. xD
That pic funny af rofl!
But its not real. :tongue:

What about him?

Surely he qualifies?

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
People are generally under the impression that there is a limited amount of happiness and by making others unhappy they can make themelves happier, which isn't true.
Original post by Per
People are generally under the impression that there is a limited amount of happiness and by making others unhappy they can make themelves happier, which isn't true.

Makes no sense.:lol:
Original post by Per

reminds me of the quote "you can't build yourself up by breaking someone else"
Original post by R Dragon
That's your own outwardly perception, but you're not telling me you can w*** to Shrek

Original post by HarryDn
[video="youtube;MxTng4FWxBs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxTng4FWxBs[/video]

Ah ffs someone beat me to it
Because the West is experiencing a drastic increase in narcissism at the apex of the life of the liberal state valuing above all else independence/self-reliance, individuality and self actualisation. The welfare state exists but note that society as a whole regards those reliant on it as inferior for their duration-this is due to valuing self reliance again.

With the rise of social.media and globalisation we now have channels to subconsciously indoctrinate the masses into relatively homogenised opinions on personal ideals. Citizenship is no longer valued in the postmodern state so the next form of ideal is born from the mass media: the aesthetic, the cosmetic. Moreover with increasing wealth distribution gaps the dominating middle class no longer need to focus on survival, so base aspirations such as to look 'perfect' are emerging. Capital is the new god for the masses
those things can change you TO AN EXTENT (unless its extreme plastic surgery where the person looks unrecognisable i.e michael jackson or renee zellweger) but you can't ever change your natural looks. ah i dont make sense but i hope you know what im sating.

Case closed

i agree that certain childhood experiences (like getting abuse for instance) can influence the person's personality but in general, you have power to change aspects of your personality (e.g. anger management classes if you have a temper or making a conscious decision to stop being timid and letting people walk all over you)

These are minor changes. Personality generally cannot change.
Original post by Per

Which people? Ive never thought that, and dont presume everybofy is petty...

Quick Reply

Latest