The Student Room Group

A Level Biology vs A Level Maths

So, my sixth form offers the Biology Edexcel course (about human biology) and my school also offers Maths Edexcel. Which is harder?
Depends on yourself.
It depends on where your strengths lie and which you enjoy more.
Original post by Schu98
So, my sixth form offers the Biology Edexcel course (about human biology) and my school also offers Maths Edexcel. Which is harder?

I do Edexcel Biology (but not human biology) - the content is not bad (but the plants and environment section is quite boring - though I think Human Biology would be much more interesting) for biology there's endless stuff you have to memorise, in the exam there's loads of long explaining questions, Unit 3 is an absolute nightmare :eek:
Personally I found maths easier to grasp the concept of, but then again it's up to you.
Which other subjects are you thinking of taking?
Original post by Schu98

Which of biology and maths do you enjoy more? Which are you better at?
Pick this one.

Biology has a huge amount to remember and understand. The questions can be a bit weird and picky over what they give marks to.

Maths is more about practice. Just applying techniques to endless different questions.
Original post by Schu98
I don't really want to do maths haha. I think I'm more leaning towards to biology :smile:

Do biology then. If you enjoy the subject, you will enjoy the next two years more and you will also be more likely to revise and work harder.
Biology = endless memorising of boring facts.
Maths = practicing and applying mathematical methods.
Original post by BenLynch9
Biology = endless memorising of boring facts.
Maths = practicing and applying mathematical methods.

Boring?
Reply 8
Biology is fab! Horrid at first but when you get into it it's so interesting. Maths is cool as well it just depends on you tbh.
Original post by morgan8002
Boring?

Just my slightly biased opinion. I find because it doesn't take much understanding and just memorisation it doesn't engage my brain and I get bored, unlike with Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
Original post by BenLynch9
Just my slightly biased opinion. I find because it doesn't take much understanding and just memorisation it doesn't engage my brain and I get bored, unlike with Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

Chemistry, maths and physics are more exciting for me, but I still enjoy biology, as a fifth subject.
Original post by Schu98
Which one in your humble opinion do you think would be easier to revise for?

Out of biology and maths. If you're good at maths and have worked throughout the year, then maths is easier to revise for, because biology there's so much to remember. However, as you've said that you don't want to do maths, I think you'll struggle to work hard for maths during the year, so I suggest doing biology.

I don't take the others you're considering, so can't comment.

Quick Reply

Latest