The Student Room Group

Not sure about A-level Maths. Help?

I'm looking to take A-level maths and am currently in year 11.
Everyone keeps saying to me how hard it is and it's making me worry about it ,I'm aiming for an A and have never really struggled in maths,but nor am I in top set getting 90/100 on tests.My teacher thinks I can do it as long as I work I hard, I got a B in my recent mocks.

any advice from anyone?

thanks in advanced:biggrin:
Hi there,
As someone who took Maths at AS-Level, your grades seem fine to me.
My advice is definitely not to worry - unlike some subjects, Maths is always about building upon what you already know and expanding your knowledge. Of course, the better understanding you have on your GCSE Maths course, the easier you will find A-Level Maths.

From my experience, because I managed to get an A in Maths at GCSE, the jump to A-Level wasn't as big, but it was still challenging.
As long as you go over what you've learnt, and made sure you understand stuff, then you should be fine (which I did not do enough of).

I'm not sure about A2 Maths, since I dropped it after Year 12, but A2 maths is just again, building upon your AS Maths. Then again A-Level in general is requires effort.

I hoped this helps & good luck!
I found there was a huge jump up to AS, but it's possible. How much do you enjoy maths? Because that helps a lot.

xxshystarxx said that AS maths builds on your foundations from GCSE, however there isn't really anything to build on. Maths really starts at AS. A2 does build on AS though.
I found as maths impossible, the jump is ridiculous. I got a b at gcse and am going to resit as this year. It takes a LOT of time hard work and dedication
If you don't have an interest I would not recommend it at all. Very very difficult a new language and very different to gcse.

😊
Reply 4
Original post by xxshystarxx
Hi there,
As someone who took Maths at AS-Level, your grades seem fine to me.
My advice is definitely not to worry - unlike some subjects, Maths is always about building upon what you already know and expanding your knowledge. Of course, the better understanding you have on your GCSE Maths course, the easier you will find A-Level Maths.

From my experience, because I managed to get an A in Maths at GCSE, the jump to A-Level wasn't as big, but it was still challenging.
As long as you go over what you've learnt, and made sure you understand stuff, then you should be fine (which I did not do enough of).

I'm not sure about A2 Maths, since I dropped it after Year 12, but A2 maths is just again, building upon your AS Maths. Then again A-Level in general is requires effort.

I hoped this helps & good luck!

Thanks for this ,it's re-assured me and also I'll never know unless I try:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by morgan8002
I found there was a huge jump up to AS, but it's possible. How much do you enjoy maths? Because that helps a lot.

xxshystarxx said that AS maths builds on your foundations from GCSE, however there isn't really anything to build on. Maths really starts at AS. A2 does build on AS though.

A lot of people say that , I do enjoy maths but I don't get excited about it ,if you know what I mean:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by aishachoudhry
I found as maths impossible, the jump is ridiculous. I got a b at gcse and am going to resit as this year. It takes a LOT of time hard work and dedication
If you don't have an interest I would not recommend it at all. Very very difficult a new language and very different to gcse.

������

I think I'll still try it tbh because I don't want to regret not trying it , who knows I might love it! I do enjoy maths:biggrin:
Original post by Mona_1
I think I'll still try it tbh because I don't want to regret not trying it , who knows I might love it! I do enjoy maths:biggrin:

Have a go. You'll never know unless you try it.
Reply 8
I currently do maths at AS, I got a B gsce and I find that Core 1 and Core 2 are okay- you just need to keep going over practise questions and you'll be fine however in saying that I do Mechanics 1 and I have to say it's hard, for me at least, the initial stuff is okay however I am struggling now- again it helps doing practise questions and those who do physics find it much easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

I'm currently studying AS maths and I'd say you should be fine. I don't think the jump is as big as everyone says it is, you just need to be prepared to do lots of practice questions and ask when you're not sure. What I would say is aim for atleast an A at GCSE, because all of the AS really builds upon A/A* topics at GCSE, but with a bit of work I'm sure you'll be okay. :smile:
Original post by Mona_1
I'm looking to take A-level maths and am currently in year 11.
Everyone keeps saying to me how hard it is and it's making me worry about it ,I'm aiming for an A and have never really struggled in maths,but nor am I in top set getting 90/100 on tests.My teacher thinks I can do it as long as I work I hard, I got a B in my recent mocks.

any advice from anyone?

thanks in advanced:biggrin:

I got an A* in gcse but a U in AS last year
Depends on the person (obviously I didn't work as hard and didn't care for it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest