The Student Room Group

AQA Business Research Theme- UK Manufacturing- June 2015 (BUSS4)

So i thought i would create a thread for the June 2015 research theme where we can help each other and share business examples. Also would like to hear thoughts on what people think about Unit 4 .

Here is the material:

In your research you should consider:
the impact of technological change on businesses manufacturing in the UK
the impact of increasing globalisation on businesses manufacturing in the UK
the impact of government policy on businesses manufacturing in the UK
the factors affecting UK location decisions by manufacturing businesses
the opportunities and threats facing businesses manufacturing in the UK.

You are strongly recommended to:
compare and contrast different manufacturing businesses and forms of manufacturing in the UK
consider decisions by businesses to locate manufacturing in the UK, to offshore manufacturing
from the UK and to re-shore manufacturing to the UK
consider how the nature, profitability and international competitiveness of businesses
manufacturing in the UK can change over time
consider how the importance of manufacturing based in the UK for example, in terms of its
scale is changing over time
consider how changes in technology, globalisation and government policy might affect the
strategy of businesses manufacturing in the UK.
You should make reference to your research in your responses to Section A in the examination

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there, i just got started on the research topic myself and i found a few useful businesses you could look into.
Bryant homes
Rolls Royce
Jaguar land rover
Dyson
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Anyone got examples of the impact of government policy?
Hi, I think this is a great idea. We're just about to start learning it so I shall share stuff as we do! Any help or guidance on how to approach this would be much appreciated
Some of the research I obtained today

[h="1"]WED OCT 1

CIPS Purchasing Managers Index. This is produced monthly by the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply by surveying managers responsible for purchasing materials in manufacturing industries, and so it gives an indication of the level of activity. A reading above 50 (shown by the red line on the graph above) shows growth in activity, below 50 shows a decline.
The latest data for the index was released yesterday. At 51.6, it is still above 50 and so showing growth, but it has declined since August (52.5), which was in itself lower than the figure in July. It is now at the lowest point since February 2013, and still well below the pre-recession level in 2008.
The main reason for sluggish growth in manufacturing output is the difficulty of exporting to the Eurozone, which takes over 50% of all UK exports. As the decline in Europe hits demand there, there is less demand for imports from the UK, and so less need to produce goods here. There has been some pick up in demand from North America and the Middle East, though, and employment in manufacturing industry has actually risen in the last month, suggesting that producers are optimistic enough about prospects to take on more worker
Markit/Cips also reported that manufacturers’ output prices grew at their slowest rate for 15 months in September, suggesting an absence of inflation pressures and another factor that may prompt the MPC to hold off from raising rates until next year.
Manufacturing firms experienced a slowdown in both domestic and export markets, with some speculation that the uncertainty generated by last month’s Scottish referendum might have prompted some businesses to delay orders. But David Noble of Cips said the major drag came from the eurozone, which accounts for around half of the UK’s trade.
He added that this was offset somewhat by better demand from North America, Scandinavia and the Middle East. Official figures showed that manufacturing expanded by 0.5 per cent in the second quarter. Output remains 7.7 per cent below the pre-crisis peak seen in 2008.
The Office for National Statistics also reported that manufacturing productivity, as measured by output per hour, increased by 1.2 per cent in the second quarter of the year. However unit wage costs increased by 0.3 per cent.
Markit/Cips reported that manufacturing job creation accelerated during September, although the rate of increase in payroll numbers remained below those registered during the first half of the year.
[/h]
Theres a few examples of Tutor2u but one which I thought of was Greggs XD
Reply 6
jaguar-land rover
starbucks
bae
ford
dyson
rbs
aldi
Tesco
Cadbury?
Original post by jtdawg
jaguar-land rover
starbucks
bae
ford
dyson
rbs
aldi
Tesco
Cadbury?

I don't think Tescos applies to it
Reply 8
Someone please help!!!!!!
I'm having so much trouble deciding on what companies to research.
I've been doing some on GlaxoSmithKline but i'm starting to feel as if it's the worst one to be doing or it doesn't qualify. I've been trying to dig information from their website and other sources but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere!

I'm going to look into Jaguar-Land rover. Is anyone looking at a company that provides a lot of information and hits the criteria?
My teacher recommended getting to know 2 companies in detail but what are you guys doing?

Thanks a lot.
Reply 9
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Theres a few examples of Tutor2u but one which I thought of was Greggs XD

Isn't Greggs services and tertiary sector rather than manufacturing? :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by yelyahko
Someone please help!!!!!!
I'm having so much trouble deciding on what companies to research.
I've been doing some on GlaxoSmithKline but i'm starting to feel as if it's the worst one to be doing or it doesn't qualify. I've been trying to dig information from their website and other sources but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere!

I'm going to look into Jaguar-Land rover. Is anyone looking at a company that provides a lot of information and hits the criteria?
My teacher recommended getting to know 2 companies in detail but what are you guys doing?

Thanks a lot.

We've been told at least 6 in a lot of depth, but should know 10 quite well!
Isn't Greggs services and tertiary sector rather than manufacturing? :confused:

well my business studies teacher said it was a good one so must be right :P
Original post by afctom
We've been told at least 6 in a lot of depth, but should know 10 quite well!

:eek: 6? (curls into a ball and cries)
Original post by ChocoholicCox
well my business studies teacher said it was a good one so must be right :P

Mmkay thanks:tongue:
Mmkay thanks:tongue:

haha :wink: XD
Reply 15
Original post by zaqxsw321
Anyone got examples of the impact of government policy?

Nissan and Honda look to manufacture in the UK to avoid trade barriers - tariffs.
Original post by BlackHokage
So i thought i would create a thread for the June 2015 research theme where we can help each other and share business examples. Also would like to hear thoughts on what people think about Unit 4 .

Here is the material:

In your research you should consider:
the impact of technological change on businesses manufacturing in the UK
the impact of increasing globalisation on businesses manufacturing in the UK
the impact of government policy on businesses manufacturing in the UK
the factors affecting UK location decisions by manufacturing businesses
the opportunities and threats facing businesses manufacturing in the UK.

You are strongly recommended to:
compare and contrast different manufacturing businesses and forms of manufacturing in the UK
consider decisions by businesses to locate manufacturing in the UK, to offshore manufacturing
from the UK and to re-shore manufacturing to the UK
consider how the nature, profitability and international competitiveness of businesses
manufacturing in the UK can change over time
consider how the importance of manufacturing based in the UK for example, in terms of its
scale is changing over time
consider how changes in technology, globalisation and government policy might affect the
strategy of businesses manufacturing in the UK.
You should make reference to your research in your responses to Section A in the examination

Moved to our Business Studies study help forum :hat2:
Any help on UK manufacturing and the Competitive environment? Im stuck!!
Reply 19
Hi, can someone be kind enough to give me the links for any Jaguar Land Rover articles that may be helpful because im struggling to find more things to write on my Jaguar Land rover research task. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending