The Student Room Group

To people who DON'T drink alcohol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShyBrown
If we're giving horrible comparisons I could also say I've never tried cocaine or anal but I know I don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

your loss, I guess.
If we're giving horrible comparisons I could also say I've never tried cocaine or anal but I know I don't want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know you won't like cocaine or anal? You don't.

Stop being silly.
Original post by TorpidPhil
That's all mate :smile:

I'm no pro-weightlifter and I've not been doing it that long (a year?) but:

DL - 300lbs
Squat - 240lbs
Overhead press - 140lbs

Height 5'5, weight 170lbs.

Dunno what I Bench because I train with free-weights from home.

Well that means nothing because I'm not American, and neither are you so cut it out.

Awww you're a manlet :h:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

Awww you're a manlet :h:

I am, that's right :tongue:

But, we can't have everything, right? :wink:

P.S Use google. For quick reference 1KG = 2.2LBs. Everyone uses LBs online, it's just more convenient and imo more appropriate for BB/WL.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am, that's right :tongue:

But, we can't have everything, right? :wink:

P.S Use google. For quick reference 1KG = 2.2LBs. Everyone uses LBs online, it's just more convenient and imo more appropriate for BB/WL.

Yeah that sucks because you can't even control height that much :erm:

You said you're a man of science so use metric :colonhash:
How do you know you won't like cocaine or anal? You don't.

Stop being silly.

Seriously? Lol, I can't.

My point is it doesn't matter if I "like" it. I don't want to do it. I'm not knocking anyone else doing it, and I believe someone else said it's just annoying when other people can't respect that you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can control how drunk I get because I know my limits, no vomiting on the road for me.

Maybe you're right, but everybody thinks that about themselves. I'm quite sure my friend who was lying on the road obstructing traffic had never intended or planned to do so to begin with, he thought he'd control it too.

Wow. You seriously didn't drink at all?

That must have been the ****test holiday ever

Not really, it was fine. Judging by the state of some people who did get drunk, I had a much better time than them actually.
Well.

I'm 16 thus underage

BUT even when I'm older I don't plan to drink because:
1. If all your friends are drunk, who the hell is going to be there to make sure you all get home safely?
2. Its not healthy at all.
3. You don't need alcohol to have a 'good time'. If they are your true friends, you should be able to have a decent conversation and have fun some other way.

When I'm older the ONLY time I may drink is at Christmas or if I'm invited to a wedding and they do a toast with champagne.

You should accept that some people are different. Not everyone will like alcohol the same way not everyone will like the same TV show.
Yeah that sucks because you can't even control height that much :erm:

You said you're a man of science so use metric :colonhash:

Not now I'm 19 I can't, which is kind of depressing :frown:

W/e

Regarding your posts.

Do you know you wouldn't like anal by another male? If not, then why not go for it? :biggrin:
Original post by cole-slaw
your loss, I guess.

On the anal or the cocaine? O_o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Now I don't drink but I previously did, I've been drunk a few times but stopped when I gave a guy black eye (splitting his eyebrow) for groping me. I'm an angry, aggressive drunk, which isn't a good mix for a goth in heavy boots.

I'm not super keen on the taste of unmixed drinks and my boyfriend also doesn't drink. So these days we spend our parties (the crazy ones where people pull up the floor boards, have sex in all the rooms and use the garden as a bathroom) hogging the music playlist, playing cards against humanity with about 20+ people and keeping couples from getting it on in the host's parents' beds, using ice water

Plus my friends don't inspire me to go back to drinking, since they all ignore their limits (one mega-cheated on their beloved guy, another had an emotional breakdown and admitted serious secrets, one got their stomach pumped at 14, and another jumped off the roof and broke both ankles). Hardly an incentive, even if I know that I'm aware of my limits.

I've drunk enough in the past to know that I can have fun when I'm drunk, but I have the same amount of fun, if not more, when I'm sober. I don't need alcohol for a confidence boost or to make people like me. Ever played cards against humanity? Just as good when you're drunk or sober.
I just don't care about drinking. I'd rather be playing on my Xbox with friends than drunk if I'm honest. It doesn't impact anything for me.

People who can't have fun without alcohol are losers.

As as for not liking things until you try them, how do you know you don't like men until you find one you do like? How do you know that you won't like gay sex until you try? It's not exactly the perfect retort you've got there. :rolleyes:

Respect other people's choices.
Humans are stubborn creatures and nine times out of ten, will not be inclined to changing their opinion just because some no-name on the internet told them to.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you ever heard the proverb about killing two birds with one stone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao
Original post by mediageek123
3. You don't need alcohol to have a 'good time'.

No-one's saying -- at least I'm not -- that you need alcohol to have a good time, or just having alcohol with nothing more is a 'good time'.

It can enhance a good time you're already having. If you don't find that it does, fine, but then you're not avoiding it because you don't 'need' it, you're avoiding it because you don't like it.

Original post by tazarooni89
I'm quite sure my friend who was lying on the road obstructing traffic had never intended or planned to do so to begin with, he thought he'd control it too.

Well clearly your friend is a reckless, irresponsible fool. That's not an argument against alcohol in itself.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well clearly your friend is a reckless, irresponsible fool. That's not an argument against alcohol in itself.

In general, he isn't though; he was made into one as a result of excessive consumption of alcohol. And it's not just him either - clubs and parties are full of people doing things that, ordinarily, they would much rather not be doing, or would have the good sense not to.

My point of view is that, if that can happen to them, then it can happen to me as well. Or to anyone.
Yes I consider myself to be a responsible individual, and that if I chose to drink I would know my limits and stop when it got to that point. But then pretty much everyone thinks that about themselves. Nobody drinks with the intention of making a fool of themselves, but it happens anyway.

Plus, I don't think I'd personally benefit much from drinking it in a social situation anyway. It lowers a person's inhibitions; and my inhibitions pretty much always prevent me from doing things that I genuinely shouldn't be doing (as opposed to things that I would like to be doing but am too shy to actually do them).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Nobody drinks with the intention of making a fool of themselves, but it happens anyway.

But your friend chose to drink to that point. Of course, he then in addition made an unusually stupid choice. I've been extremely drunk before, I've never chosen to lie down in a road. I think if you do stupid things like that when you're drunk, really, you know you're doing something stupid. I also think the fact that it's a stupid thing to do is probably part of why you're doing it, but that's just my bit of amateur psychology.

Anyway, just being a 'drinker' doesn't mean you have to drink like that. Either your friend didn't know how drunk he was, in which case the argument doesn't apply very strongly because eventually one figures out one's limits, or he knew how drunk he was and carried on anyway, in which case, if you were in that position, you could just stop. Most people, most of the time, are perfectly well able to control how much they drink. If someone gets absolutely wasted, and they haven't just started drinking, it's usually intentional. The people you see who make idiots of themselves vomiting, or lying, in the street went out intending to get wasted. And if you decide not to get to that point, you can control yourself.

So I suppose I basically don't agree with you that lying down in the road just 'happens', and that it's just as likely just to happen to one person as another.

Besides, your argument only applies on certain occasions. There are many occasions on which there is just no prospect of anyone getting that drunk. If I grab a couple of drinks over lunch with friends, I know in that situation there is a zero percent chance that I'm going to get super drunk and humiliate myself. So if you're purely not drinking because you think you might embarrass yourself, it would make sense for you to refuse to drink at parties or in bars and clubs etc, but to drink lightly if you're just sat in a pub with some friends or eating out etc.

If you just don't like it that's fine, although I think you should give it a go. But I don't think you should completely stay away from alcohol just because some people do very stupid things sometimes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not now I'm 19 I can't, which is kind of depressing :frown:

W/e

Regarding your posts.

Do you know you wouldn't like anal by another male? If not, then why not go for it? :biggrin:

I'm still growing at 18 nearly 19, you can do stretches to help growth.

The two situations are completely different, I'm not gay therefore I won't like gay sex.

It's like saying I'm allergic to alcohol but how do you know you won't like it? Stupid
Original post by Ahlys
Now I don't drink but I previously did, I've been drunk a few times but stopped when I gave a guy black eye (splitting his eyebrow) for groping me. I'm an angry, aggressive drunk, which isn't a good mix for a goth in heavy boots.

I'm not super keen on the taste of unmixed drinks and my boyfriend also doesn't drink. So these days we spend our parties (the crazy ones where people pull up the floor boards, have sex in all the rooms and use the garden as a bathroom) hogging the music playlist, playing cards against humanity with about 20+ people and keeping couples from getting it on in the host's parents' beds, using ice water

Plus my friends don't inspire me to go back to drinking, since they all ignore their limits (one mega-cheated on their beloved guy, another had an emotional breakdown and admitted serious secrets, one got their stomach pumped at 14, and another jumped off the roof and broke both ankles). Hardly an incentive, even if I know that I'm aware of my limits.

I've drunk enough in the past to know that I can have fun when I'm drunk, but I have the same amount of fun, if not more, when I'm sober. I don't need alcohol for a confidence boost or to make people like me. Ever played cards against humanity? Just as good when you're drunk or sober.
I just don't care about drinking. I'd rather be playing on my Xbox with friends than drunk if I'm honest. It doesn't impact anything for me.

People who can't have fun without alcohol are losers.

As as for not liking things until you try them, how do you know you don't like men until you find one you do like? How do you know that you won't like gay sex until you try? It's not exactly the perfect retort you've got there. :rolleyes:

Respect other people's choices.
Humans are stubborn creatures and nine times out of ten, will not be inclined to changing their opinion just because some no-name on the internet told them to.

I do respect others peoples decision like I've already stated but I'm just curious as to why they don't drink.

Sounds like you're friends can't handle their drink.

Mhmmmmm you must be really fun to hang around with if you play board games at a party :teehee:

I never said I couldn't have fun without alcohol? What a stupid thing to say.

This whole post is laughable, you can't compare having sex with the same gender to drinking alcohol :rofl:

It's like saying as I said above why don't you try this alcohol that you know you're allergic to you don't know if you like it or not :colonhash:

People are posting more and more stupid things the longer this thread goes on for I swear :rolleyes:
I do respect others peoples decision like I've already stated but I'm just curious as to why they don't drink.

Yet you argue with everyone who tells you why they don't drink...
Schrödingers Cat

Mhmmmmm you must be really fun to hang around with if you play board games at a party :teehee:

Dude have you even played Cards Against Humanity? :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I don't feel the need to. I'm crazy as normal so I don't need alcohol to have fun :biggrin:. I prefer enjoying the night being a 100% me.
Original post by StarvingAutist
Yet you argue with everyone who tells you why they don't drink...

Dude have you even played Cards Against Humanity? :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not arguing that they don't drink just the reasons people suggest are stupid and not compatible

Yea it sucks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending