The Student Room Group

Past Clearing Statistics.

Is it possible to access information regarding universities who have, in the past, offered courses in clearing?
Original post by coolguy12345
Is it possible to access information regarding universities who have, in the past, offered courses in clearing?

Yes but it will involve visiting your local reference library and getting hold if hard copies if the clearing supplements. The electronic archives are owned by UCAS and ucas don't release them.
Btw, none of it will help you to work out which courses/Unis will be in Clearing this year.

Every year is very different, and basing any decision on 'what was in Clearing last year' is not recommended.
Original post by sydneybridge
Btw, none of it will help you to work out which courses/Unis will be in Clearing this year.

Every year is very different, and basing any decision on 'what was in Clearing last year' is not recommended.

Well, I didn't really mention just "last year". Past clearing statistics would be the best way, I can think of, for planning what to do, on the off chance things don't work out. It's far better than going into it completely blind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Yes but it will involve visiting your local reference library and getting hold if hard copies if the clearing supplements. The electronic archives are owned by UCAS and ucas don't release them.

Thanks!
This reading will be useful ........

Making Firm and Insurance Choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Guide to Results Day : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A-Level_results_day

Guides to Clearing : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/introduction_to_clearing AND http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/guide_to_clearing (both have yet to be updated for 2015).
Hi guys, I hate resurrecting a somewhat old thread like this; however, I've recently came across a way of purchasing a (virtual) back issue of the "Official UCAS Clearing Listings" for 2014. The bad thing is that the clearing listing is only available for 2014. Is anyone aware of another way of purchasing older Telegraph back issues, i.e. 2012/2013? I know about certain sites which provide the purchase of hard copies of back issues; but £30-£40 is a bit too pricey, compared to the 69p I paid for 2014 listings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Dont waste your money.

It will only tell you what happened in those years - each year is totally different so it wont tell you is 'this course' is in or 'that course' is out for THIS year.

Stop trying to second-guess something even the Universities can't predict - and go and do some revision instead?
Reply 8
Original post by coolguy12345
Hi guys, I hate resurrecting a somewhat old thread like this; however, I've recently came across a way of purchasing a (virtual) back issue of the "Official UCAS Clearing Listings" for 2014. The bad thing is that the clearing listing is only available for 2014. Is anyone aware of another way of purchasing older Telegraph back issues, i.e. 2012/2013? I know about certain sites which provide the purchase of hard copies of back issues; but £30-£40 is a bit too pricey, compared to the 69p I paid for 2014 listings.

2012 - free! http://www.e-pages.dk/thetelegraph/121/2
Reply 9
Original post by sydneybridge
Dont waste your money.

It will only tell you what happened in those years - each year is totally different so it wont tell you is 'this course' is in or 'that course' is out for THIS year.

Stop trying to second-guess something even the Universities can't predict - and go and do some revision instead?

why the need to be unpleasant and make assumptions?
Since 2012, the removal of the cap on numbers has changed the landscape so completely that what happened in the past can genuinely be of no use in predicting the future. Now that universities have (as of this year) no limits on how many students they can take, the calculations of how many they actually will take have entered a whole new area of unpredictability. The guide posted above is useful in as far as it shows what the clearing guide looks like so you know what to expect, but it won't be an accurate guide to this year in any way. Think of it like this: if a shop has lots of lime green jumpers with three arms left over after the season then they will put them in the sales in July to see if they can get rid of them. They may or may not manage to do so. It would be a stupid shop which then restocked with the same number of the same jumpers again for the following year, knowing they will be stuck with the same leftovers. It's like this with university courses. If they have a lot of courses in clearing, then they will readjust the numbers of offers they make in the following year to resolve the problem, and therefore what is in clearing one year is likely to be very different to the next year. Hope that makes (albeit very over-simplified) sense.

Awesome, thanks yet again!!
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Since 2012, the removal of the cap on numbers has changed the landscape so completely that what happened in the past can genuinely be of no use in predicting the future. Now that universities have (as of this year) no limits on how many students they can take, the calculations of how many they actually will take have entered a whole new area of unpredictability. The guide posted above is useful in as far as it shows what the clearing guide looks like so you know what to expect, but it won't be an accurate guide to this year in any way. Think of it like this: if a shop has lots of lime green jumpers with three arms left over after the season then they will put them in the sales in July to see if they can get rid of them. They may or may not manage to do so. It would be a stupid shop which then restocked with the same number of the same jumpers again for the following year, knowing they will be stuck with the same leftovers. It's like this with university courses. If they have a lot of courses in clearing, then they will readjust the numbers of offers they make in the following year to
resolve the problem, and therefore what is in clearing one year is likely to be very different to the next year. Hope that makes (albeit very over-simplified) sense.

This is the first time ever on tsr, where someone has posted an analogy that actually makes sense lmao
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
This is the first time ever on tsr, where someone has posted an analogy that actually makes sense lmao

I'm an English teacher. It tends to be my stock in trade.:smile:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm an English teacher. It tends to be my stock in trade.:smile:

Ah I see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest