The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grad1202
Can you possibly find out what's gone on there and if they're still giving out grad interviews? I'm a grad waiting for a bm5 interview. Thank you!! :smile: :smile:

They're still doing the BM5 Grad interview day as we've had an email recruiting students to help during the day :yes:. I am not sure why some have been invited to the earlier date. it may be that there is space on that day or that there isn't space on the right interview date and so they've had to move people around.

I can try to find out but I am not sure how easy this info will be to get!
I have my BM5 A100 interview tomorrow! :biggrin: Not sure what to expect, and I don't think I've prepared enough!
Original post by aprocrastinator
I have my BM5 A100 interview tomorrow! :biggrin: Not sure what to expect, and I don't think I've prepared enough!

It's really relaxed. Read your PS, read up on the university and the course. You'll be fine :yes:.
Original post by Neostigmine
It's really relaxed. Read your PS, read up on the university and the course. You'll be fine :yes:.

Ok good to hear!! Thanks :smile:
Reply 324
And it's looking like my flight is getting cancelled. Fu snow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 325
On my way home now, never knew I'd actually have to use that number they put on the email. They were very nice about it though and have said I can get another date for interview. They said it may be 13th of Feb though which is of course a grad day? And I'm just a little old year 13 😳 but still happy they seem flexible with the situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
On my way home now, never knew I'd actually have to use that number they put on the email. They were very nice about it though and have said I can get another date for interview. They said it may be 13th of Feb though which is of course a grad day? And I'm just a little old year 13 😳 but still happy they seem flexible with the situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an interview on the 13th and I'm a gap year student- a bit nervous about the group task though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by summy96
I have an interview on the 13th and I'm a gap year student- a bit nervous about the group task though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be. It's really relaxed and you'll have time to prepare on the day. Lots of people enjoy it and everyone says it wasn't worth worrying about :yes:.
Original post by summy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too!!! (Gap year and interview date:wink:) I thought I was going to be the only UG on the 13th!!! Thank god I'm not alone!! :wink: When is your interview and group task?? :biggrin:
Those grads which have interviews, what are your UKCAT scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshi213
Can anyone give an idea about what the group task will be like? Is it gonna be a discussion or an actual task type thing? Thanks :smile: (got mine on Monday)

Sorry but we said we couldn't tell other people what happens :frown:(( you'll be fine though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 331
Did the snow not affect anyone else? 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshi213
Ah okay fair enough, not gonna ask for anything else then!
Was it generally a good interview? Like were they quite nice and not too pushy?

Did they say you couldn't speak about the panel section too?

It's against TSR rules to ask for details of an interview. it's not fair for you know things that your competition didn't get to know :no:.

The panel is a standard panel interview. No surprises there :nah:
I am extremely worried about the group task.
Original post by LittleDonkey
Those grads which have interviews, what are your UKCAT scores?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My UKCAT was 697.5 (2970)
Original post by ceciafb
My UKCAT was 697.5 (2970)

Thx! Any others??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of studying medicine in Southampton? :smile: also what options are there for the SSC?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by you-only-live-once
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of studying medicine in Southampton? :smile: also what options are there for the SSC?

Read the prospectus???!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by you-only-live-once

There are so many options for SSU that I don't think I can remember them all.

In semester 1 you make an academic poster on a public health issue intervention as part of a group. There are lots of issues to choose from like teenage pregnancy, domestic violence, COPD and smoking etc etc
In semester 2 it is humanities so you can do life drawing, videography, photography, writing

In semester 3 you do a literature review and a presentation of evidence on a topic of your choosing
In semester 4 you teach a class of 1st years.

These may have switched around a little now, but it was how we did it. I think the teaching has been moved to final year instead of semester 4 and I think they spend time preparing you for your project in 3rd year.

Then during your clinical years you can chose a load of different stuff. Languages, dissection, emergency medicine, renal medicine, communication skills.... each module is different in how it is run so there is a variety of skills taught.

As for pros and cons, I think that sounds a lot like a standard medicine interview question and while I am happy to answer questions on specifics, feel like it is a bit unfair to just give a list!!
Original post by Neostigmine
There are so many options for SSU that I don't think I can remember them all.

In semester 1 you make an academic poster on a public health issue intervention as part of a group. There are lots of issues to choose from like teenage pregnancy, domestic violence, COPD and smoking etc etc
In semester 2 it is humanities so you can do life drawing, videography, photography, writing

In semester 3 you do a literature review and a presentation of evidence on a topic of your choosing
In semester 4 you teach a class of 1st years.

These may have switched around a little now, but it was how we did it. I think the teaching has been moved to final year instead of semester 4 and I think they spend time preparing you for your project in 3rd year.

Then during your clinical years you can chose a load of different stuff. Languages, dissection, emergency medicine, renal medicine, communication skills.... each module is different in how it is run so there is a variety of skills taught.

As for pros and cons, I think that sounds a lot like a standard medicine interview question and while I am happy to answer questions on specifics, feel like it is a bit unfair to just give a list!!

Thank you for your help :smile: Any advice how I should prepare for both the panel and group interview? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending