The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to those still waiting for a decision! Hopefully you get an offer tomorrow :biggrin:
Guys, you know how there's a DBS form attached in the email, we don't have to fill that out for the interview right? Or is it just for when you get an offer. And do we have to fill in the health assessment for the interview too because none of my other universities have asked for it...
Original post by waterrdrinkerr
Guys, you know how there's a DBS form attached in the email, we don't have to fill that out for the interview right? Or is it just for when you get an offer. And do we have to fill in the health assessment for the interview too because none of my other universities have asked for it...

They collect in the health form so you do need to get it signed...

It's best if you do it for the interview. The DBS form and accompanying documents is the important part - they said not to worry if you couldn't get the health assessment form done for the interview but ideally it would be done :smile:
Hey guys. Interview coming up on the 3rd. I'm flying in soon. Really nervous haha. I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on what I'll be going through? I hear it's full day commitment, from 8:15 to 5:30. What will we be doing? And how long is the interview, what type of interview format is it, etc. Thanks for the help!!
Rejection with a 56 GAMSAT score, I can freely focus on now on what to do next! All the best to those with interviews coming up!
Original post by Lessgooo
Hey guys. Interview coming up on the 3rd. I'm flying in soon. Really nervous haha. I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on what I'll be going through? I hear it's full day commitment, from 8:15 to 5:30. What will we be doing? And how long is the interview, what type of interview format is it, etc. Thanks for the help!!

Didn't you read the email? It'll be trial by combat.

My interview is on the same day, looking forward to meet you and the other international medic applicants.
I talked to a mate at the medical school and he mentioned something about international interviews having a slightly different format to the ones the domestic kids go through, so it's not much use asking them for help.
All we know is that it'll be a panel based interview, probably 15-20 minutes, but the time before and after you're actual interview I bet will just be talking to current medics and maybe even a tour of the campus.
Original post by soptah
Rejection with a 56 GAMSAT score, I can freely focus on now on what to do next! All the best to those with interviews coming up![/QUOT

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good way of looking at it. It's better to know so we can start making new plans rather than waiting hopefully! No more interviews or options for me. Back to the drawing board....
Didn't you read the email? It'll be trial by combat.

My interview is on the same day, looking forward to meet you and the other international medic applicants.
I talked to a mate at the medical school and he mentioned something about international interviews having a slightly different format to the ones the domestic kids go through, so it's not much use asking them for help.
All we know is that it'll be a panel based interview, probably 15-20 minutes, but the time before and after you're actual interview I bet will just be talking to current medics and maybe even a tour of the campus.

I read online domestics do an ethics question while we get role-play? I thought if it was a panel interview it would be more traditional, role-play seems very MMI-esque. Trial by combat would be nice though.
The Exeter cut off was 63? That's ridiculously high! I'm glad I re-took the GAMSAT this year, I had 62 from last year which was enough.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
The Exeter cut off was 63? That's ridiculously high! I'm glad I re-took the GAMSAT this year, I had 62 from last year which was enough.

Did you get an interview last year with 62? What did you score on your retake? I assume you got an offer...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Morvi906
Did you get an interview last year with 62? What did you score on your retake? I assume you got an offer...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, last year I got 61/62 (depending on weighting), and got an interview, but didn't do very well at all, I got feedback though, which was nice. Definitely ask Exeter for feedback guys, if you don't get an interview - it's really helpful and really constructive. I really like the way that Exeter goes about its business, that's one of the reasons I applied - they are helpful and constructive, if you don't get a place, they want to let you know why; they want you to do well. I like that in a uni. Retake was 68/69.

And yeah, I got an offer this year :smile:
Yup, last year I got 61/62 (depending on weighting), and got an interview, but didn't do very well at all, I got feedback though, which was nice. Definitely ask Exeter for feedback guys, if you don't get an interview - it's really helpful and really constructive. I really like the way that Exeter goes about its business, that's one of the reasons I applied - they are helpful and constructive, if you don't get a place, they want to let you know why; they want you to do well. I like that in a uni. Retake was 68/69.

How do you ask for feedback? Through email?

Congrats on the offer. Yes I like the way Exeter does things. Plymouth was the same, very helpful feedback on an unsuccessful interview this year. 68 is a massive GAMSAT score!! The science is what got me- didn't really even know how to begin with some of those questions. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by soptah
How do you ask for feedback? Through email?

Yup!

I think they said that on the application - yeah, I've just checked and in the 'no' email, they said 'if you want feedback - email us'.

Unless they've changed that policy?
Anyone managed to book onto a visit day yet??
Yup!

I think they said that on the application - yeah, I've just checked and in the 'no' email, they said 'if you want feedback - email us'.

I think you only get feedback if you have had an interview, otherwise it's just a matter of not achieving the right GAMSAT/ UK cat/ a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on the offer. Yes I like the way Exeter does things. Plymouth was the same, very helpful feedback on an unsuccessful interview this year. 68 is a massive GAMSAT score!! The science is what got me- didn't really even know how to begin with some of those questions. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

I was actually pretty amazed at how well I did this year, I was *not* by any means expecting that. In fact, I was really surpised. Last year, my GAMSAT score was 65/60/58 - not great, not bad, but not great. This year, 63/76/67. The only difference between the two years was that I'd really made the effort with physics this second year and as luck would have it, I found that a lot of the physics stuff came up (well, I thought it was quite maths-y?). You know what else might have helped? I didn't do the UKCAT last year, I did this year, so I was epically studying for that, and getting quick on my maths. Maybe that sped me up a bit.

Tips - when they give you reading time, glance through it and make a note of the hard/easy questions - ones that you like. Make sure you go in and do those first, it's a long exam and you need time to think.
- I like to break them up. Rather than go back from chem to phys to bio to chem to bio to phys over and over, I like to skim through and do all the bio (cos that's the easiest for me).
- My best tip is practice questions beforehand. My best tool was the Ozimed papers (I'm selling mine on...), which were absolutely fantastic, just to get my head in the game.

I think the best thing for me was that last year, I used the 'Gold Standard' book which is a piece of ****. It's awful. I recommend that people use ANYTHING but that book. You'll learn more from reading Heat magazine.
I think you only get feedback if you have had an interview, otherwise it's just a matter of not achieving the right GAMSAT/ UK cat/ a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh sorry; yes; that's where my feedback was from. If you're rejected without interview, it's more likely to be academic?
Yup!

Thank you, I have emailed them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending