The Student Room Group

GCSE Options!! Please help me!

So I'm currently choosing my options for GCSE and I can't decide on my last option.

So I either have to do RS or music. I don't particularly want to do either but I have to do one. With music, I am at grade 6 flute however I currently take music at school and find it quite boring and I get okay marks but not that great. In RS, I find the philosophical element very interesting but I am not religious so struggle when it comes to the reciting verses from the bible etc. Currently in RS we do not have any marked assignments, tests or even homework so I don't know how well I do in terms of marks.

Which would look better on uni applications? I'm concerned about that but also which I would enjoy more. All the other subjects I am taking are academic.

I would appreciate advice so so much
Hope you have an amazing week :tongue: :kiss:
If I was you, I'd go for whatever you find most interesting which, as you've described, is the philosophical side of RS. Having a musical talent might be a major bonus, but please DON'T select Music if it already bores you to death - there are plenty of subjects we dislike at GCSE, so don't make the mistake of selecting one among your options!

Even though I'm not particularly religious, RS is pretty easy and, when listed on your CV, shows that you have a great knowledge of other cultures. Music, on the other hand, would probably look good if you were heading into the music industry, but it's your call.

Good luck with your GCSEs! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by saraahhgr
Thank you so much :smile:

You're welcome. :smile: What else have you selected as your options?
Reply 4
Original post by CharmingCat
You're welcome. :smile: What else have you selected as your options?

My school requires us to do triple science so I'm doing all the sciences, both englishes and I'm doing my maths a year early, and I'm doing Spanish, history, and geography, and still deciding on the last one :smile:
My school requires us to do triple science so I'm doing all the sciences, both englishes and I'm doing my maths a year early, and I'm doing Spanish, history, and geography, and still deciding on the last one :smile:

Triple science? Wow, I admire you for studying that - Double is exhausting the hell out of me! :biggrin: So, I take it that RS isn't compulsory at your school?
Reply 6
For my school, music at GCSE was a totally different class to the years before - there were no longer any non-musical people there, so the atmosphere and content changed completely. I love the more relaxed feel of it (still doing it for A level at the moment) and it's really nice to have a creative contrast subject wise.
However, I totally agree - really really do whichever one you think you will enjoy the most! That's the important thing. :smile:
OP - I'd go with music. If you are grade 6 you will get ful marks for the performance aspect which is a 30% chunk of the GCSE.

It is different in KS4 as Actaeon says you study a range of music styles including modern music and it'll probably be a smallish group.
So I'm currently choosing my options for GCSE and I can't decide on my last option.

So I either have to do RS or music. I don't particularly want to do either but I have to do one. With music, I am at grade 6 flute however I currently take music at school and find it quite boring and I get okay marks but not that great. In RS, I find the philosophical element very interesting but I am not religious so struggle when it comes to the reciting verses from the bible etc. Currently in RS we do not have any marked assignments, tests or even homework so I don't know how well I do in terms of marks.

Which would look better on uni applications? I'm concerned about that but also which I would enjoy more. All the other subjects I am taking are academic.

I would appreciate advice so so much
Hope you have an amazing week :tongue: :kiss:

I'd say go for RE since i'm doing it right now. For one its very easy most of the exam questions are common sense. However the people that do Music usually have to stay after school working on stuff waking up early. If you've got a passion for music then do it. I personally hate RE for being too easy.
Reply 9
Original post by CharmingCat
Triple science? Wow, I admire you for studying that - Double is exhausting the hell out of me! :biggrin: So, I take it that RS isn't compulsory at your school?

hahahahah it is horrible but it will be worth it in the end... I hope :biggrin:
nooooo it isn't, is it at yours?
Reply 10
Original post by Actaeon
For my school, music at GCSE was a totally different class to the years before - there were no longer any non-musical people there, so the atmosphere and content changed completely. I love the more relaxed feel of it (still doing it for A level at the moment) and it's really nice to have a creative contrast subject wise.
However, I totally agree - really really do whichever one you think you will enjoy the most! That's the important thing. :smile:

thank you so much, glad to hear your enjoying it :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
OP - I'd go with music. If you are grade 6 you will get ful marks for the performance aspect which is a 30% chunk of the GCSE.

It is different in KS4 as Actaeon says you study a range of music styles including modern music and it'll probably be a smallish group.

thank you, this is reallly good to know and I will take it into account when I decide :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Zeetingman
I'd say go for RE since i'm doing it right now. For one its very easy most of the exam questions are common sense. However the people that do Music usually have to stay after school working on stuff waking up early. If you've got a passion for music then do it. I personally hate RE for being too easy.

thank you so much for your advice, what else are you studying?
Reply 13
Whatever you do don't take music its soooo boring studying all 12 set works.
Hey! I think the key is to take what you enjoy doing! I really enjoy music (I'm grade 6 piano) but we might be doing different exam boards or something like that. However, if you are grade 6 flute, you will almost definitely get a fantastic result, but there's no point in doing a course if you're not going to enjoy it! Also, you probably already have music exam results that show you are at a gcse standard in music anyway.. I don't really like re but that's partly to do with my teacher and the exam board! Basically, if you take what you enjoy doing, you'll get a good result :smile: hope this helps... What exam board will you be doing if you do end up taking music?
Reply 15
I guess it depends on which one you are most confident with and feel like you could do two years without getting too bored/ tired! :smile:

RS is compulsory at my school and I personally have found it quite different to KS3, to be honest I've found it quite long-winded and exhausting with all the different structures of the questions. But, if you like to write a lot and are good at giving and backing up your own and religious opinions and applying knowledge, then go for it!

Everyone is different I guess, that's just my outlook and opinion on it :smile:
hahahahah it is horrible but it will be worth it in the end... I hope :biggrin:
nooooo it isn't, is it at yours?

Having just moved schools, I'm not even sure if my school offers Triple Science - nobody I know is studying it. In fact, my school's GCSE curriculum starts in Year 9 - I'll be near breaking point by the time I sit my exams next year! :eek:
thank you so much for your advice, what else are you studying?

I'm currently doing Additional Science in Yr10 which is pretty much a more detailed version of Core Science. I'm also doing DT which is quite frustrating a lot of computer work and there is a lot of theory before you actual make the product.

Quick Reply

Latest