The Student Room Group

Teach Yourself A level Mathematics - During Uni

Hi!

I am a first year undergrad at university and only took mathematics up to AS level. I want to teach myself both AS and A level mathematics this year and next. Does anyone have any tips about this? How to manage the workload? What applied modules to choose etc... Basically how to do it and whether it can be done xD

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Hobes1
Hi!

I am a first year undergrad at university and only took mathematics up to AS level. I want to teach myself both AS and A level mathematics this year and next. Does anyone have any tips about this? How to manage the workload? What applied modules to choose etc... Basically how to do it and whether it can be done xD

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi

I am doing this for A level further maths at the moment - in my case while I am working. A few years back did A level maths while working so it is possible.

When I did the A level maths I went day release to a local college. But for further maths I am doing all the work myself (I do have a tutor every monday evening, but to be honest that wouldn't be essential). I am finding that doing the further maths on my own is BETTER than going to college. The maths teacher just couldn't stop chatting about stuff other than maths.

So definitely you can do this. but obviously you will have to stay focussed and committed.

This is how I cope with it:

1. Get the standard text book for your board and work through ALL the exercises. Don't skip any.

2. Set yourself a schedule, eg this chapter in next x weeks.

3. Book your exam well in advance - it makes you committed to do the work.

4. Setup an account on Khan Academy and see how far you get. Its brilliant.

5. If you get really stuck and have tried everything you can ask on here.

My rate of progress is 3 modules per year. Eg in 1 year I did AS level maths. Same as A level in time but obviously A level students do more subjects.

Hope it helps.
Reply 2
Original post by acomber
Hi

I am doing this for A level further maths at the moment - in my case while I am working. A few years back did A level maths while working so it is possible.

When I did the A level maths I went day release to a local college. But for further maths I am doing all the work myself (I do have a tutor every monday evening, but to be honest that wouldn't be essential). I am finding that doing the further maths on my own is BETTER than going to college. The maths teacher just couldn't stop chatting about stuff other than maths.

So definitely you can do this. but obviously you will have to stay focussed and committed.

This is how I cope with it:

1. Get the standard text book for your board and work through ALL the exercises. Don't skip any.

2. Set yourself a schedule, eg this chapter in next x weeks.

3. Book your exam well in advance - it makes you committed to do the work.

4. Setup an account on Khan Academy and see how far you get. Its brilliant.

5. If you get really stuck and have tried everything you can ask on here.

My rate of progress is 3 modules per year. Eg in 1 year I did AS level maths. Same as A level in time but obviously A level students do more subjects.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Yes I think that a day release to college would not be an option due to my timetable at the moment. I will definitely consider a maths tutor, perhaps on a bi weekly basis. Do you know how I would go about booking an exam? Do you just have to search for a private exam house?

Grade wise, I am looking to achieve an A, however exams are in may/june. I have a B in C1 from AS level. Is it possible to just take C2 and an applied module in this time scale?
Reply 3
Original post by Hobes1

Yes I think that a day release to college would not be an option due to my timetable at the moment. I will definitely consider a maths tutor, perhaps on a bi weekly basis. Do you know how I would go about booking an exam? Do you just have to search for a private exam house?

Grade wise, I am looking to achieve an A, however exams are in may/june. I have a B in C1 from AS level. Is it possible to just take C2 and an applied module in this time scale?

It took me a while to find somewhere where I could take the exam. For some reason, most colleges don't allow external candidates. So you are more likely to find a private college offering this. you will have to pay a little more than the standard fee - - that is why the private colleges do it after all. But the uplift in price is not too bad. I will take the exam at St Pauls in Barnes which is really close to where I live. Have a search around on the web or enquire at local sixth forms.

In my experience you need to be able to get 80%+ in C1 to be able to get an A in the complete A level. Ideally you get 90+ on C1. 90% on C1 is much easier than less on C4. C1 is the foundation of everything. So you probably would need to do it again anyway. Revising C1 will help in C2 anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by acomber
It took me a while to find somewhere where I could take the exam. For some reason, most colleges don't allow external candidates. So you are more likely to find a private college offering this. you will have to pay a little more than the standard fee - - that is why the private colleges do it after all. But the uplift in price is not too bad. I will take the exam at St Pauls in Barnes which is really close to where I live. Have a search around on the web or enquire at local sixth forms.

In my experience you need to be able to get 80%+ in C1 to be able to get an A in the complete A level. Ideally you get 90+ on C1. 90% on C1 is much easier than less on C4. C1 is the foundation of everything. So you probably would need to do it again anyway. Revising C1 will help in C2 anyway.

Ok, do you reckon C1, C2 and an applied can be learnt between now and may?
Reply 5
Original post by Hobes1
Ok, do you reckon C1, C2 and an applied can be learnt between now and may?

You would have to get your skates on.

If you already know C1 it will be only revision I guess. How is your stats? If you don't like statistics you could do mechanics or decision maths aka computer science option.
Original post by Hobes1

I taught myself A level maths over 2 years. I'm not in work or college, just a maths hobbyist. When it came to booking an exam I just applied to a local school. The first one I applied to did not take external candidates but they were kind enough to tell me one that did so I found one very easily. If you don't have any luck with colleges try a school that has a 6th form.

I was going to enter for Futher Maths AS this year but now find that I can't however in the process I discovered that the entry for the exams was no later that Feb 13th (just before half term). After that I would have had to pay a late entry fee. The cost of entry wasn't much, I was charged the exam board's cost only, but as I was an adult in a school group I had to sit in a separate room and therefore had to pay for an invigilator (about £10 per exam).

All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest