The Student Room Group

Don't have a degree, am I screwed dating wise?

I left my degree due to depression, and though I earn a lot more than the average person my age with a degree would (work in software), I'm always worried that a guy wouldn't want to date me because of it. I'm reapplying to uni but won't start till 23.

Apparently they did a survey and the "perfect woman" would have a degree (I know, DM link but still).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2931745/Duchess-Cambridge-revealed-perfect-woman.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I left my degree due to depression, and though I earn a lot more than the average person my age with a degree would (work in software), I'm always worried that a guy wouldn't want to date me because of it. I'm reapplying to uni but won't start till 23.

Apparently they did a survey and the "perfect woman" would have a degree (I know, DM link but still).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2931745/Duchess-Cambridge-revealed-perfect-woman.html

Most men aren't going to be bothered in the slightest that you don't have a degree. Trust me.
Reply 2
I've lost count of the times I've been turned down because of my CV...
If you want to date someone who wants to date someone with a degree, then yes, you will need a degree.
I don't think most men would care. You've proven that you're capable as you're working at a software firm that pays well.
Reply 5
Original post by plasmaman
Most men aren't going to be bothered in the slightest that you don't have a degree. Trust me.

Are you sure? I'm reasonable looking and do get attention, but I think guys nowadays judge women on that sort of thing than they used to maybe :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by Protégé
I don't think most men would care. You've proven that you're capable as you're working at a software firm that pays well.

Doesn't dropping out still have stigma attached though? (as does former depression but that's another story..)
Reply 7
Original post by CheetahCurtis
If you want to date someone who wants to date someone with a degree, then yes, you will need a degree.

Wouldn't that be most guys with degrees though? (pretty much everyone goes to university these days).
Reply 8
Are you sure? I'm reasonable looking and do get attention, but I think guys nowadays judge women on that sort of thing than they used to maybe :redface:

It is, with the best will in the world, a completely ridiculous thing to be concerned about.

Maybe at the later stage of life where people are thinking of settling down and having a family they'd want to know that the other person has some financial stability behind them, but you've demonstrated that already.

It's not with a second thought.

Just of out curiosity for my own personal benefit - how much £ do you earn and what are your hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
It is, with the best will in the world, a completely ridiculous thing to be concerned about.

Maybe at the later stage of life where people are thinking of settling down and having a family they'd want to know that the other person has some financial stability behind them, but you've demonstrated that already.

It's not with a second thought.

TBH, I'm not looking for short term things (old fashioned, only do serious relationships) so they probably would be concerned about financial stability.

You don't think there's stigma attached to dropping out, then? A few older people I've met (40s/50s) have really judged me for leaving, despite the fact it was for depression. I can see a lot of guys' parents having an issue with it.
Doesn't dropping out still have stigma attached though? (as does former depression but that's another story..)

Eh, I don't really think so. Of course, some people would look down at you for that but those really worth your time should be able to get past trivial things like that.

I don't have a degree (yet), just been fired and my SO is still with me... You'll be fine.

Degrees don't matter once you're in working life, they just help you get in the door but if you have the experience then that's preferred, trust me. I have worked with idiots from good schools, they are sometimes good and sometimes bad but they largely need walking through everything.

You say you work, you earn a good salary, why should a degree matter? You're in a better position than most our age.
Original post by lewif002
Just of out curiosity for my own personal benefit - how much £ do you earn and what are your hours?

Over 30k. I often work overtime/weekends.
Over 30k. I often work overtime/weekends.

What's your standard hours? Mon- fri?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TBH, I'm not looking for short term things (old fashioned, only do serious relationships) so they probably would be concerned about financial stability.

You don't think there's stigma attached to dropping out, then? A few older people I've met (40s/50s) have really judged me for leaving, despite the fact it was for depression. I can see a lot of guys' parents having an issue with it.

So? Are you in a relationship with the guy or with his parents? By the time you're getting round to meeting them they will have heard enough about you to know that one single thing doesn't define your entire life.

Will some people judge you? Of course. But why should that be your problem?
Original post by tehFrance
I don't have a degree (yet), just been fired and my SO is still with me... You'll be fine.

Degrees don't matter once you're in working life, they just help you get in the door but if you have the experience then that's preferred, trust me. I have worked with idiots from good schools, they are sometimes good and sometimes bad but they largely need walking through everything.

You say you work, you earn a good salary, why should a degree matter? You're in a better position than most our age.

Sorry to hear you got fired :s-smilie:

Yep. I'm lucky to work in tech where experience is valued a lot, so I'm not really worried about my career prospects.

I don't care that I don't have a degree right now - I'm going back to uni anyway and a lot of people I know who graduated that exact same course don't even have jobs now or are doing unrelated things (e.g. waitressing). Unfortunately, your average middle-class Joe from London (or at least his parents) are probably going to judge me a lot for having left. Dropping out carries stigma.
Original post by Drewski
So? Are you in a relationship with the guy or with his parents? By the time you're getting round to meeting them they will have heard enough about you to know that one single thing doesn't define your entire life.

Will some people judge you? Of course. But why should that be your problem?

You're right, it isn't my problem, but unfortunately if someone judges me badly obviously they aren't going to date me (if it's a guy) or start gossiping etc. (if it's his parents).
Original post by Protégé
Eh, I don't really think so. Of course, some people would look down at you for that but those really worth your time should be able to get past trivial things like that.

Hopefully. It's something a lot of people are judgy about, though, especially nowadays when everyone has a degree.
Sorry to hear you got fired :s-smilie:

Yep. I'm lucky to work in tech where experience is valued a lot, so I'm not really worried about my career prospects.

I don't care that I don't have a degree right now - I'm going back to uni anyway and a lot of people I know who graduated that exact same course don't even have jobs now or are doing unrelated things (e.g. waitressing). Unfortunately, your average middle-class Joe from London (or at least his parents) are probably going to judge me a lot for having left. Dropping out carries stigma.

Thank you :smile:

That's what matters most, experience as that's what will help you advance and make sure that you can provide for your family.

The stigma you talk about doesn't exist, if it did then I'd be castrated by now as I dropped out too. I got a good job, fantastic pay, I got to do as I liked, it's a shame it was a double edge sword and I ended up cutting my head off haha.

If the guy really cares about you and his parents care about him, they won't get in the way. Also there are more people in the older generation without degrees, it's only through Blair's great big "Degrees = Success" BS that we have so many youths going to uni and look at what most are doing, you said it yourself, they're waitresses or doing something unrelated.

Stigma doesn't exist if you're successful no matter what as you appear to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending