The Student Room Group

Child Nursing vs Midwifery

Hi guys, I'm new here and just looking for some advice really

For the longest time I have had my heart set on becoming a midwife but recently I have had doubts and have becoming increasingly interested in child nursing.

I know that these courses are highly competitive and I would be extremely lucky to earn a place, but I just want to be certain I am making the right choice before I start applying.

I am fascinated with pregnancy and birth but on the other hand I feel I would much more enjoy working with children, and I know that midwifery primarily involves working with the mother.

Has anyone else have/had these thoughts and how did they decide between the two? Are any current students able to give any advice?

Would really appreciate the help and I hope this thread is in the right place!

thankyou
:smile:
Original post by ErinR101
Hi guys, I'm new here and just looking for some advice really

For the longest time I have had my heart set on becoming a midwife but recently I have had doubts and have becoming increasingly interested in child nursing.

I know that these courses are highly competitive and I would be extremely lucky to earn a place, but I just want to be certain I am making the right choice before I start applying.

I am fascinated with pregnancy and birth but on the other hand I feel I would much more enjoy working with children, and I know that midwifery primarily involves working with the mother.

Has anyone else have/had these thoughts and how did they decide between the two? Are any current students able to give any advice?

Would really appreciate the help and I hope this thread is in the right place!

thankyou
:smile:

I know exactly how you feel! I had my heart set on midwifery since I was 14, but then as we got around to applying I started thinking about children's nursing and I ended up having to choose between the two.

Like you I also had a desire to help pregnant women during pregnancy and throughout the birth, but then I also loved working with children.

I think the best way to choose is through experience in the two different areas, I know that gaining work experience is hard, but even if it's just a few hours it could totally help!

I was lucky enough to get on a maternity ward run by midwives on my work experience, then on the last day, I was sent onto a neonatal ward with children's nurses.

I found that on the maternity ward I was bored, I spent a lot of time watching the clock, waiting around and wanting to leave, but when I was on the neonatal ward it was very exciting, there was always something to do and someone to help, this was what helped me make my decision.

However, I didn't go onto the labour ward, so I have no idea what it's from the perspective of helping women through the actual birth :frown:
Reply 2
It's such a tough decision isn't it? I just don't want to make the wrong choice for my future! Have you applied now and was It child nursing that you chose?:smile: I've got work experince in the midwifery field coming up so will defiantly try and get some within child nursing! Thanks for the advice :smile:
I'm in the exact same position! I thought I wanted to be a midwife for so long, but recently I've thought about child nursing because while I'm interested in helping women throughout pregnancy and birth, I also really love working with children - more so than I do working with adults, so perhaps that route would be better for me, but I'm not entirely sure. It's such a tough decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending