The Student Room Group

Possibly a new baby sibling?

Right, this is going to sound weird but here goes! My Mum keeps talking about pregnancy. She's asking if me and my siblings are okay with it. I think she's got something to hide. I don't know how to approach her and talk to her about this, what do I do? (PS. My brother does want a brother of his own. I think he's fed up of having two sisters who want to do girly things LOL)

Scroll to see replies

how old are you? and how old is your mum? ask her why she's been talking about babies and see what she says. If she decides she wants a baby then there isn't much you can do about it, and it might be fun to have a baby about (unless you have to study for exams or something)
Reply 2
Original post by bluetree112
how old are you? and how old is your mum? ask her why she's been talking about babies and see what she says. If she decides she wants a baby then there isn't much you can do about it, and it might be fun to have a baby about (unless you have to study for exams or something)

I'm 19 and my Mum is 43. To be honest I don't mind having a baby sibling but if I did get one I'd want a brother. My point is I just feel awkward and don't know how to respond when she brings it up LOL! I just replied saying "if you really want a baby then go for it!"
(edited 9 years ago)
I am 18 and have a baby brother of ~14 months. He is a ton of fun, and I wish I could spend more time with him. I would recommend it to anyone.
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I am 18 and have a baby brother of ~14 months. He is a ton of fun, and I wish I could spend more time with him. I would recommend it to anyone.

Awwh that's soo cute! I want a brother as well, I want to get personalised bibs saying "I love my big sister Riya". I actually want a baby sibling but it's such a awkward topic to talk about :confused:
Original post by Riyaax
Awwh that's soo cute! I want a brother as well, I want to get personalised bibs saying "I love my big sister Riya". I actually want a baby sibling but it's such a awkward topic to talk about :confused:

For me there was not much talking involved. My dad and stepmum just came forward and said that she was pregnant. There was plenty of discussion of bedrooms, baby equipment, and names, but no discussion about whether we wanted a baby or not - that was taken as assumed.
Idk how I'd feel about having a new sibling, simply because of the massive age gap that'd be involved and I just don't see why either of my parents would want to go through the whole raising another child thing. However, I do have 2 little cousins (<4 years old) and I frikin adore them, they're literally my favorite people on the planet. I think you should just have a regular convo with her, you're both adults now anyways so I don't see the harm. Whichever road she chooses it's a win-win for you imo :P
Reply 7
Original post by alexschmalex
Idk how I'd feel about having a new sibling, simply because of the massive age gap that'd be involved and I just don't see why either of my parents would want to go through the whole raising another child thing. However, I do have 2 little cousins (<4 years old) and I frikin adore them, they're literally my favorite people on the planet. I think you should just have a regular convo with her, you're both adults now anyways so I don't see the harm. Whichever road she chooses it's a win-win for you imo :P

I understand where you're coming from. I think in my situation it may be okay only because I have 2 siblings already. I have a sister who's 18 and a brother who's 11. Between him and my baby sibling it wouldn't be a massive age gap. However, if it was just me and my sister then I think it would be a bit hard. Awwh, your cousins sound adorable. I have 3 little cousins as well. I think after my Mum seen them and stuff she feels like to have a baby of her own. I don't mind, if she wants one it's her choice. I'd like a brother though! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Gott
Sounds familiar to me

Awwh, do you want a sister or brother? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Gott
No, I meant I can remember my mother saying that sort of thing before I found out. He's my brother and also an absolute ****, perhaps a sister would have been better but that's quite a strange thought to me for some reason, having a sister that is

Oh, I'm like that with my sister sometimes. How old are you and your brother? :smile:
I'm 21 and my mam and dad had another baby last year. She's cute and it could be good practice for the future. It's also better for your parents because they have you to help out. She's probably just testing the water and gauging your reaction. Just leave it be - she'll come out with it sooner or later.
Reply 11
Original post by pinkbullets
I'm 21 and my mam and dad had another baby last year. She's cute and it could be good practice for the future. It's also better for your parents because they have you to help out. She's probably just testing the water and gauging your reaction. Just leave it be - she'll come out with it sooner or later.

Awwh, that's cute. That's true, they have 3 of us to help! I really want a brother though, I just want to buy cute baby clothes :biggrin:
If you're worried, just do what cats do and mark your territory.
This would be my worst nightmare, luckily my parents only ever wanted one child; if I was ever behaving badly as a kid my mum would threaten me with a baby brother or sister to get me to be good :laugh: It sounds like you're okay with the idea though OP so I'd just go ahead and ask her outright, it might be something she's just thinking about in the abstract rather than a concrete plan, but it'd be good to know!
Reply 14
Original post by puddingbot
This would be my worst nightmare, luckily my parents only ever wanted one child; if I was ever behaving badly as a kid my mum would threaten me with a baby brother or sister to get me to be good :laugh: It sounds like you're okay with the idea though OP so I'd just go ahead and ask her outright, it might be something she's just thinking about in the abstract rather than a concrete plan, but it'd be good to know!

LOL! I think it's alright for me because I've already got two siblings? I think it will be fine, siblings can be annoying sometimes though :frown:
I'm 18 and my little brother is 5. The age difference makes everything way more fun!! Plus I can get away with so many things because of him :biggrin:
I would hate it. But I am a bit older than some of you. (25) So glad my parents had my younger sister just before I turned 2.
Reply 17
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
I'm 18 and my little brother is 5. The age difference makes everything way more fun!! Plus I can get away with so many things because of him :biggrin:

Awwh, that's so cute! I have a 8 year gap with my brother :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by OU Student
I would hate it. But I am a bit older than some of you. (25) So glad my parents had my younger sister just before I turned 2.

Yeah I understand! I'm 19, my sister is 17 and my brother is 11. So that's probably why I don't think it's as bad. If I was a bit older then definitely it's a no :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending