The Student Room Group

"you are pathetic if you need to drink alcohol to have a good time"

Scroll to see replies

I love to have a drink and totally understand that alcohol does enhance parties/clubbing/social situations

Whilst I am genuinely confident around both sexes, even I can get a bit worried when talking/dancing around brand new people but after I've had 3 or 4 drinks I can talk to practically anyone and not feel shy/withdrawn in the slightest

Alcohol is an enhancer to social situations mainly and should either be used to ENHANCE social situations or for taste (wine etc)

Alcohol should not be used to allow you to have 'more fun' in any situation as it doesn't and if frequently taken to the extremes will mean you don't actually have many genuine friends.

However, I feel that there is nothing wrong with, whilst uni, drinking semi-heavily a few nights every week as long as it doesn't become a theme after university

Alcohol should be a social situation enhancer only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's engrained in our culture to go out and get ****ed up. That can be problematic to some people.

However, going out 1/2 times a week isn't that big a problem, particularly when you are young.

No, of course depending on alcohol is a bad thing but most people don't DEPEND on it.
To answer some of the points raised:
Yes, liver failure can be caused but that would take excessive drinking over a long period of time in most cases.

It makes you feel pretty good for quite a few hours and makes for great fun. I see the hangover symptoms as almost like life finding its equilibrium in a sense ie you are slightly depressed/ill the next day as a consequence.

Humans always look for a 'high', natural ones being the best but also an artificial high from work/stress etc.

I compete at a high level of a sport and the best high you get is when you perform well at a big event, particularly when you have been exceptionally nervous beforehand.
That is the best 'high'. Probably due to all the hardwork that precedes it. I play other sports as well and that keeps you active.

Studying/working is mundane and just something that has to be done. Then, at the weekend if I'm not busy I'll be getting smashed/high on some artificial substance... (I've never taken Molly or coke etc but in the future maybe). In moderation, with a firm grasp around said substance then I don't see a problem.

I do t really get the whole 'dry January'. That's bad if you have to take substances and 'highs' away from yourself because you let them get a stranglehold of your life. I just say 'right I'm out twice this month' and then that reduces my alcohol intake and improves general well being fitness without abstaining completely.

Personally, I had bad acne age 13-17 and my confidence was very low, particularly around girls. Eventually, I got invited to a party and from there I was more confident. Yes, for those brief 3-4 hours I was very chatty and confident but even on the Monday morning at school I knew people better. More conversations, ice already broken etc etc.

Even though my spots are long gone now at 19, I still can suffer bouts of self-doubt/ fear but in general it has been an upward curve in confidence and enjoyment.

I have a great time sober and can chat away now fine but sometimes you just need that push, even if it is artificial...

Maybe, those who slate alcohol can't deal with drunk people? Personally, I find it hard when I'm sober. I've only offered to drive once (and go to the club sober). It wasn't enjoyable after they had say 6 pints worth. So I do sympathise but I can still have a good laugh with them when sober, but it's just not as good.

Some of the best times you'll have are between 18-25 and I certainly intend to seize them. Perhaps, you should all do too?...

That doesn't have to entail drugs but If it does, go for it. I've grown up a lot since 16/17, I'm not mature now at 19 as I'll be when 25 but I've loosened up a lot and can have a laugh with almost anyone, even those who don't drink (shock horror).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
This sums up TSR because the majority would rather be in their room drinking Red Bull and watching anime than going out with friends and being sociable...
Original post by futbol
This sums up TSR because the majority would rather be in their room drinking Red Bull and watching anime than going out with friends and being sociable...

Lol true. True. I do sometimes find it a shame how these forums which used to be a good place to connect with people whilst studying or even not studying has almost now become a competition forum of 'I go to a better university, I study the better course, I'm more mature'.

Some people need to grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonwinner
It's just what losers who have never had an opportunity to drink alcohol say.

Actually i think someone who doesn't need to pay for a substance to enjoy life is more of a winner in my eyes.
Original post by comptroller
Massless particles are not made of chemicals.

It would be more apt to say that everything is a wave function:colondollar:

Haha quantum mechanics fail.A wave function is mathematical description of a quantum state of an object, not what anything is made of.Everything has a wave function but is not made of one.Massless particles do have mass, but it's not the rest mass your thinking about. plus I meant chemicals as in what people touch and interact with on a daily basis on earth.Not theoretical particles.Even your massless neutrinos do have mass.Photons are just tiny localised pulses of electromagnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other. Let the physics debate begin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dean Ambrose
Actually i think someone who doesn't need to pay for a substance to enjoy life is more of a winner in my eyes.

Don't be mad cuz you know I'm right.
Don't be mad cuz you know I'm right.

I'm mad that people peer pressure people into wrecking themselves by calling them "losers" You're not right at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
Saying that someone is pathetic if they can only have a good time with alcohol is not the same as saying anyone who has a good time with alcohol is pathetic.

You are very pathetic, very sad and probably mentally ill if the only way you can have a good time, that is, enjoy yourself, is with alcohol or any other drug. That isn't at all the same as saying given that you enjoy yourself when you use drugs you are pathetic, sad and mentally ill because that isn't true. The human body is designed to love drugs, just like it is masturbation.

If the only way you could enjoy yourself was through sex (including masturbation) you'de be pretty pathetic too.

"The only way to have a good time" is the idea you anti-alcoholists need to pull out of your asses.

NONE OF US CAN'T HAVE A GOOD TIME OTHERWISE, Alcohol is an enhancer, it doesn't make the boolean trigger between things being good or bad, perhaps if you read my post instead of focusing on calling me pathetic and mentally ill you could have interpreted that little fact, the tiny basic detail could have burrowed itself into your thick skull and into your clouded mind. So get out of here please.
Original post by temporary_user
"The only way to have a good time" is the idea you anti-alcoholists need to pull out of your asses.

NONE OF US CAN'T HAVE A GOOD TIME OTHERWISE, Alcohol is an enhancer, it doesn't make the boolean trigger between things being good or bad, perhaps if you read my post instead of focusing on calling me pathetic and mentally ill you could have interpreted that little fact, the tiny basic detail could have burrowed itself into your thick skull and into your clouded mind. So get out of here please.

Nice reading comprehension mate, wasn't like I agreed with everything you just said in that above post.
I'm mad that people peer pressure people into wrecking themselves by calling them "losers" You're not right at all.

Pretty much all students drink at some point. If you don't then it's probably because you are a loser
(edited 9 years ago)
Each to their own man
Pretty much all students drink at some point. If you don't then it's probably because you are a loser

Not really.
Not really.

He speaks the truth though
alcohol turns me into a complete ******* and i love it
He speaks the truth though

Not in the slightest, it's just false peer pressure.
Not in the slightest, it's just false peer pressure.

What's wrong with succumbing to the pressure? Alcohol isn't bad for you in light quantity and all it has to offer is an improvement to your image
What's wrong with succumbing to the pressure? Alcohol isn't bad for you in light quantity and all it has to offer is an improvement to your image

Light quantity it's alright, i'm talking about those who get completely wasted, there's other ways of enjoying yourself that improve yourself at the same time. Exercise, meditation etc

you sound so fun

It is bad for you in light quantities. I've gone through this before.

That said, a lot of things are mildly bad for in small quantities yet we still do it so that's fine if you want to. There are reasons not to though and I explained them on that other thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending