The Student Room Group

White children are the group least likely to go to University

"Of youngsters educated in the state sector, 64% of Asian students and 62% of black students went on to higher education in 2012-13, compared to just 45% of white students."

"Asian students are the most likely to study at a top-flight university, with 12% going on to a Russell Group university including Oxford and Cambridge compared with 11% of white students and 6% of black students."

You can read the full article here.

Scroll to see replies

Work ethic innit
Reply 2
culture
We need to do more to help them get in definetly. Systems fooked.
White parenting

*shakes head*
Original post by HarryDn
culture

Our culture of blaming whites, demonising them, criticising them, guilt-tripping them,

has certainly affected them
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
"Of youngsters educated in the state sector, 64% of Asian students and 62% of black students went on to higher education in 2012-13, compared to just 45% of white students."

"Asian students are the most likely to study at a top-flight university, with 12% going on to a Russell Group university including Oxford and Cambridge compared with 11% of white students and 6% of black students."

That is shocking. These days, it is this group who are most under pressure due to competition from Eastern European migrants and so their income is hit hard. Hence the rise of UKIP and the like. It is something that needs to be addressed.

The general plan is to educate into higher skilled employment. But there is clearly more to do.
Original post by acomber
That is shocking. These days, it is this group who are most under pressure due to competition from Eastern European migrants and so their income is hit hard. Hence the rise of UKIP and the like. It is something that needs to be addressed.

The general plan is to educate into higher skilled employment. But there is clearly more to do.

How does competition from migrants have a greater effect on white students than those of black or Asian origin?
Reply 8
Original post by Green_Pink
Sorry, but generalisations like that are really unhelpful. You've not got any evidence for it and at best it's an unsubstantiated, racially based assertion.

Does it matter that I'd include myself? Ok I admit it is a massive generalisation but certainly in my experience British culture is one where everyone seems to think the world owes then something (and look at me I'm begining to sound like a Tory:eek:) and I would also comment that as people from Asian backgrounds are seen as smart the are likely to be pushed more and thus get better grades in like a self-perpetuating loop.
Reply 9
Original post by Bude8
Work ethic innit

Work 'ethnic'...

:tongue:
Original post by Aph
Does it matter that I'd include myself? Ok I admit it is a massive generalisation but certainly in my experience British culture is one where everyone seems to think the world owes then something (and look at me I'm begining to sound like a Tory:eek:) and I would also comment that as people from Asian backgrounds are seen as smart the are likely to be pushed more and thus get better grades in like a self-perpetuating loop.

I get what your saying, it's just too big a generalisation. It's like saying black people are really violent. Sure, you can pull out the figures showing them more likely to be convicted of violent crimes, but it completely ignores why this happens or why their driven to violence on a somewhat larger scale. Similarly, white people are not inherently lazy just because they have lower average academic achievement levels. I wouldn't argue that there's systemic bias against them, but you can look at explanations like:

Greater likelihoods of growing up in single-parent families
Less cultural importance placed on academic education, and more on vocational skills (I would be interested to see figures for numbers of apprentices by race)
More resistance to £9K tuition fees, due to elder relatives who went to university for free or substantially reduced rates, as compared to those from backgrounds with no prior experience of higher education or from countries where it is not as widely available and affordable as it is in Britain.

For me, taking a complex issue like this and reducing it to "whites are lazy" doesn't look at how it can be changed and just pushes a stereotype instead.
How does competition from migrants have a greater effect on white students than those of black or Asian origin?

The point I was making is that the people who have not pursued more advanced academic study (this includes diploma, even skills like City & Guilds quals) will face more competition in the marketplace from migrant workers. This affects black or Asian kids as well as white kids in this group.

There is an effect where immigrants or more recent immigrants seem to have a greater motivation to study and are more progressive in this way. Possibly to over-compensate for a perceived disadvantage in the labour market by working harder. In addition, it is feasible that anyone who has made the effort to cross countries or even continents would tend to be more motivated than the norm.
Original post by acomber
The point I was making is that the people who have not pursued more advanced academic study (this includes diploma, even skills like City & Guilds quals) will face more competition in the marketplace from migrant workers. This affects black or Asian kids as well as white kids in this group.

There is an effect where immigrants or more recent immigrants seem to have a greater motivation to study and are more progressive in this way. Possibly to over-compensate for a perceived disadvantage in the labour market by working harder. In addition, it is feasible that anyone who has made the effort to cross countries or even continents would tend to be more motivated than the norm.

Sorry, by "this group" I thought you were referring to white people :smile: That's probably true, but I don't really think it's a problem. If immigrants or their children are willing to work hard, study hard and make sacrifices then in my opinion they deserve every success they get.
Reply 13
I get what your saying, it's just too big a generalisation. It's like saying black people are really violent. Sure, you can pull out the figures showing them more likely to be convicted of violent crimes, but it completely ignores why this happens or why their driven to violence on a somewhat larger scale. Similarly, white people are not inherently lazy just because they have lower average academic achievement levels. I wouldn't argue that there's systemic bias against them, but you can look at explanations like:

Greater likelihoods of growing up in single-parent families
Less cultural importance placed on academic education, and more on vocational skills (I would be interested to see figures for numbers of apprentices by race)
More resistance to £9K tuition fees, due to elder relatives who went to university for free or substantially reduced rates, as compared to those from backgrounds with no prior experience of higher education or from countries where it is not as widely available and affordable as it is in Britain.

For me, taking a complex issue like this and reducing it to "whites are lazy" doesn't look at how it can be changed and just pushes a stereotype instead.

Yes, I completely and unequivocally retract my previous statement. You are right with all these factors (although the £9k means we pay back less then we did on £3k) but thank you for picking me up on my response.
Its probably to do with the fact that education isn't as important in the West as you can survive without it but in poor countries you really struggle if you don't get a good education and thats where a lot of Asians and blacks have emigrated from, its all about white people not seeing education as important as other groups.
I get the vibe that this thread is trying to claim reverse-racism exists. Eh, whatever, white straight males are still the highest earners in Britain, dominate Parliament, the Police force, other important institutions; "blaming whites, demonising them, criticising them, guilt-tripping them" Pfff.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

I have identified 8 very realistic problems facing the poor white working class that don't get spoken about

1) Many children come from unstable homes and under threat of eviction.

2) These homes do not have an educational environment. Television and video games replace this, and Ipads.
It's difficult to learn with the TV on all day.

3) hungry children, on bad diets and go to school hungry

4) Many children find it difficult to wake up for school, which is connected to point 2.

5) it's difficult to learn when you started the day shouting and arguing with your parents. connected to point 4.

6) Coming from homes that cannot afford the school uniform. This would affect the child emotionally.

7) These homes are often cramped and small.
A lack of privacy and lack of personal space is one of the top causes of anger and juvenile delinquency, obviously affecting the child's ability to learn.

8) whites more likely to suffer depression, obviously affecting their school ability too.
school mental health services in state schools are virtually non-existent

Schools and teachers are never to blame. You cannot educate a hungry child, wearing a dirty school uniform who had 4 hours of sleep, whoever they are.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd suggest this should be read alongside other studies such as:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jul/23/ethnic-minority-students-fewer-university-offers-research-shows

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jun/12/ethnic-minorities-social-mobility-employment

Just because a higher proportion of *state school* leavers go on to HE doesn't mean that somehow society is not still stacked against BME students/graduates.
Not a surprise at all really. All the others have had a massive leg up and there are now more black chavs and Kumars in the City than ever before, while the education system from the age of 5 is anti white culture, anti British culture and puts English Londoners at the bottom of the pile. Plus white parents don't generally beat their offspring in to submission if they dont do STEM at Uni, but if they do make it to Uni they generally want to be there and not just make a fast buck.
Reply 19
yes its social but it's emotional, too. We should be investing in schemes outside schools to develop social, emotional and personal development alongside the academics. Yes, maybe it'll be difficult to get young people from disadvantaged backgrounds involved but it can be done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending