The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by All_TheCyanide
The IQ test isn't that accurate. Piano also isn't the only instrument in the world.

It isn't just a practical skill. Your brain has to interpret symbols or letters and translate it into physical notes/chords. You have to remember the sequence of a song, some of which can be very complex. I have a lot of respect for serious musicians. As a guitarist, I see very talented musicians play frequently. They are using a part of their brain whilst doing so.

Did you really just say that English isn't an academic subject? You really are a typical snobby STEM student and you make me ashamed to say I study STEM subjects. Being good at maths and science doesn't make you better than a person who is good at art. Thinking so is arrogant and denies the science you so highly regard.

Yes it is more important you don't get electricity,homes, medicine from art do you?We would still be living as cavemen if there wasn't Science.A lot of countries are poor and undeveloped because they haven't been able to make the same scientific advances as rich countries.
(edited 9 years ago)
do you think you will ever resume posting in the "what have you eaten today?" thread regularly?
Original post by og.east
do you think you will ever resume posting in the "what have you eaten today?" thread regularly?

I don't think so as it got boring and I eat pretty much the same each day and have little variation in my diet.I have beans every meal apart from when I order a takeaway/ have chicken legs.
Original post by Dalek1099
I don't think so as it got boring and I eat pretty much the same each day and have little variation in my diet.I have beans every meal apart from when I order a takeaway/ have chicken legs.

Cambridge didn't give you an offer. You're the biggest troll on this forum.

If they did, prove it.
My mam quit work to become a mother then became mentally ill and then got took off Disability Living Allowance by the ATOS tests and then she went on JSA and then she was a carer for her mam and got Carer's Allowance but she died over two years ago and she went back on JSA and in one interview she was asked when she last worked and she said August 1986 and they wanted her to have worked recently.

My dad stopped working in 1984 I think due to mental illness and since then he divorced my mam and married another woman who gets money through her solicitor(something her rich parents set up I think) and through shares and stuff they don't really get that much each year and usually spend it too quickly but he still gets some disability payments and is applying for some sort of pension credits he is 64 now.

I am not sure about my career aspiration but I am interested in Meteorology/ doing pure maths research I want to solve some juicy maths equations.I have always been very talented at academia since I was a child and I am motivated by my obsession with academia, my love of Maths and the fact that I really want to get better grades than everyone else.

Many congratulations. This is precisely the kind of good news that people need to focus on more, IMO. Clearly you've gone through your own challenges growing up re: your home and family situation, so it's particularly impressive that you're now (hopefully) off to one of the greatest universities in the world. Which colleges did you interview with? May I ask what the conditions of your offer are?

Once again - nicely done.
Original post by SebCross
Many congratulations. This is precisely the kind of good news that people need to focus on more, IMO. Clearly you've gone through your own challenges growing up re: your home and family situation, so it's particularly impressive that you're now (hopefully) off to one of the greatest universities in the world. Which colleges did you interview with? May I ask what the conditions of your offer are?

Once again - nicely done.

He didn't get an offer. He's lying.

He's a troll.
Original post by Plastic Face
He didn't get an offer. He's lying.

He's a troll.

You may well be right but I generally take people at their word (mostly). But, yes, he should post a photo showing his offer letter TBH.
No it looks awful far too much makeup.

Would you prefer a more natural look?
Cambridge didn't give you an offer. You're the biggest troll on this forum.

If they did, prove it.

I have attached evidence.
I have attached evidence.

Then you should be trying to meet their offer, not trolling on TSR! (Providing they are real of course).
Then you should be trying to meet their offer, not trolling on TSR! (Providing they are real of course).

I'm not trolling on TSR, I have never trolled on TSR.What post did you think indicated that I was a troll?I do probably procrastinate too much on here like most people.
I'm not trolling on TSR, I have never trolled on TSR.What post did you think indicated that I was a troll?I do probably procrastinate too much on here like most people.

Well you have far too many red gems for you not to be a troll.
Well you have far too many red gems for you not to be a troll.

This has already been explained on here that I post controversial opinions on here and often to get likes you really have to just say what people want you to say.Lots of people on here have red gems I have one of the highest amounts of red gems but others who have just as high are not trolls either just unpopular.A troll would not bother posting over 9,000 and keep up the act for over 3 years.
This has already been explained on here that I post controversial opinions on here and often to get likes you really have to just say what people want you to say.Lots of people on here have red gems I have one of the highest amounts of red gems but others who have just as high are not trolls either just unpopular.A troll would not bother posting over 9,000 and keep up the act for over 3 years.

Solve:

ex2=sin3x+ie^{x^2}= sin^3x + i
Solve:

ex2=sin3x+ie^{x^2}= sin^3x + i

Are you sure this can be solved analytically?
Are you sure this can be solved analytically?

I don't know. You tell me. You are supposed to be the best mathematician in the world.

I just made it up on the spot!
I don't know. You tell me. You are supposed to be the best mathematician in the world.

I just made it up on the spot!

You clearly don't know enough about mathematics if you just make up equations on the spot, if it doesn't have analytical solutions it can be pretty much impossible to do without advanced calculators/computers.

I never said I was the best mathematician in the world just that I had got an offer from Cambridge, I even mentioned that I don't think I will meet it.
You clearly don't know enough about mathematics if you just make up equations on the spot, if it doesn't have analytical solutions it can be pretty much impossible to do without advanced calculators/computers.

I never said I was the best mathematician in the world just that I had got an offer from Cambridge, I even mentioned that I don't think I will meet it.

I only have an A level in maths. (A grade). As I have dyscalculia, I don't like maths at all.

I know you never said you're the best mathematician in the world. I said it. And it's obviously true - you have been invited to read maths at Cambridge after all...
I only have an A level in maths. (A grade). As I have dyscalculia, I don't like maths at all.

I know you never said you're the best mathematician in the world. I said it. And it's obviously true - you have been invited to read maths at Cambridge after all...

Then you will know that a lot of equations need to be approximated using numerical methods with things like iteration and often iteration can break down and most calculators you won't be able to do that with complex numbers coming up with math error.
Then you will know that a lot of equations need to be approximated using numerical methods with things like iteration and often iteration can break down and most calculators you won't be able to do that with complex numbers coming up with math error.

x is about -0.514866 - 0.7067027i.

Quick Reply

Latest