The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarships 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dave1999
Deadline for sending off the application to your teacher is tonight. Have you both sent it off? How did you think it went?

I'm finishing mine off and sending it tonight
Reply 21
I've done a project on cantilever deflection. I had to complete a project quickly, because I only started it in the Christmas holidays, so it's quite simple :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
My school entered me on tuesday, middle of mock week - asking for the deadline to be moved back till monday night becuase its a bit unfair to do it so short notice.
Original post by ruudiwolf
I've done a project on cantilever deflection. I had to complete a project quickly, because I only started it in the Christmas holidays, so it's quite simple :/

woah what is that it sounds complicated
Original post by umarguerita

woah what is that it sounds complicated

Complicated equations but it's not too bad. I did some work on that for the Engineering Education Scheme.
Arrrgg!! how are you meant to revise for the aptitude test?!! I've looked back at some of the past papers and some of them contain a lot of advanced stuff. I'm most worried about the technical design part and don't know what to do to prepare for it. Am I meant to revise mechanics? moving parts? gears? omg I don't know and it's really stressing me out. Somebody help please.
I've learnt:
materials - 5 metals, 3 plastics and 3 smart materials
manufacturing methods that could be used with the metals and plastics
adhesives/assembly methods
finishing methods
a few electrical components
5 gear mechanisms and 3 (very basic) pulley systems
Hope that helps but if it doesn't have a look at Chlorophiles post in the 2014 applicants thread where he's written a large post with some useful links.
I've learnt:
materials - 5 metals, 3 plastics and 3 smart materials
manufacturing methods that could be used with the metals and plastics
adhesives/assembly methods
finishing methods
a few electrical components
5 gear mechanisms and 3 (very basic) pulley systems
Hope that helps but if it doesn't have a look at Chlorophiles post in the 2014 applicants thread where he's written a large post with some useful links.

Thanks, you sound really prepared for this aptitude test.
Original post by umarguerita
Thanks, you sound really prepared for this aptitude test.

Haha I'm just trying to prepare the best I can, I really hate going into exams/tests not knowing what I could do!
Haha I'm just trying to prepare the best I can, I really hate going into exams/tests not knowing what I could do!

That's what makes it a good exam! It's an aptitude test, it's not designed to test how much you know, it's designed to test your creativity and aptitude at engineering and design :smile:
Original post by Chlorophile
That's what makes it a good exam! It's an aptitude test, it's not designed to test how much you know, it's designed to test your creativity and aptitude at engineering and design :smile:

I understand what you mean but I thought the more I knew the more knowledge I would have and therefore I could apply this to the task they set to improve my response?
I understand what you mean but I thought the more I knew the more knowledge I would have and therefore I could apply this to the task they set to improve my response?

Obviously do a bit of learning: make sure you know the basic fundamentals, the toolkit you're going to need to implement. What I mean is that there's only so much you can do. Learning a massive list of materials isn't going to help you if you don't know how to design a good product or if you're not creative enough to come up with a novel solution.
What's the likelihood of actually making it to the interview stage?
Original post by Chlorophile
Obviously do a bit of learning: make sure you know the basic fundamentals, the toolkit you're going to need to implement. What I mean is that there's only so much you can do. Learning a massive list of materials isn't going to help you if you don't know how to design a good product or if you're not creative enough to come up with a novel solution.

Ah okay I see what you mean :smile:
Well the exam's tomorrow so good luck everyone:smile:
good luck guys!! i remember taking this test last year.
Reply 36
Good luck guys, hope it goes well for everyone!
Good luck everyone! Try to enjoy it if you can!
Am I a bit late?...
I have spoken to a couple of guys from the year above who are now scholars and have made a list to revise from. I have made a list of basic materials and manufacturing processes into a Quizlet which you can find on my account: VivaciousPie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending