The Student Room Group

What can I do between accepting a course and results day?

I have applied and accepted a conditional offer for my chosen course and uni, applied for finance, and I'm studying hard.

But is there anything else that i can be doing to get ready for the first day of uni?

Thanks in advanced

Simon
Original post by SESmale
I have applied and accepted a conditional offer for my chosen course and uni, applied for finance, and I'm studying hard.

But is there anything else that i can be doing to get ready for the first day of uni?

Thanks in advanced

Simon

Congratulations on your offer!

I´d say to just continue what you´re doing now. If you feel like it, you can join groups on social medias for that uni (facebook often has groups like "University of XX class of 20XX") - that´s what I plan to do when I get my offers anyway and that way you will know somebody there when you start :smile:
Original post by SESmale

Thanks in advanced

Simon

Sort out accommodation. At both your firm AND insurance unis. Unis run their own applications systems for halls and every one is a but different - you're responsible for making sure you've done everything you need to find somewhere to live.

Look into other options (post exams but pre results) so that you're prepared if things don't go well.
Original post by SESmale

Thanks in advanced

Simon

make sure your prepared and able to cook iron etc. get used to budgeting for yourself. another idea is to go away on your own so that you will be prepared for that eventuality. get prepared by ensuring you have appropriate items like saucepans bedclothes etc
Student finance, relaxing (after exams) and maybe a little brief reading into your subject?
Original post by swanseajack1
make sure your prepared and able to cook iron etc. get used to budgeting for yourself. another idea is to go away on your own so that you will be prepared for that eventuality. get prepared by ensuring you have appropriate items like saucepans bedclothes etc

Echoing all of this.
Read all of this Guide to Results Day so you have some idea of what can happen on Results Day - and what you can do about it - in advance : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A-Level_results_day

And here is a 'shopping list' of Things You Need For Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

PS. Put in some serious study time. How will you feel if you dont - and it goes wrong in August?
Reply 7

All of this.

Going to uni is expensive, because you'll start needing things you never needed before. It's silly to wait to results day and then rushing out and buying everything at once with no pre-planning. You need to start thinking in advance - it's also less suspicious if you hide things your bed gradually; if you parents wake up the day before you leave and find no saucepans they will know it was you.

You might want to wait a while before buying things as you don't know what will be provided. You might need to take a microwave, but the uni might provide one, or someone else in the accommodation will share. But even if you don't purchase stuff now you need to set aside time and money to get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above - its worth gathering together the obvious things now (a new duvet, towels, stationary, a squashy suitcase/big bag) but wait before you buy any kitchen stuff - if you are in catered halls or self catering where every bit of equipment is provided, you'll just be wasting time/money.

If you have a birthday between now and going to Uni - ask for gift cards from obvious places like Tescos, Sainsburys, Boots etc. This is often the best place to buy cheap duvet covers, table lights, crockery, pots and pans. And any supermarket cards are always useful for food, booze etc once you actually get to Uni. Contributions towards a 'laptop fund' is also a good idea - if you dont already own one. PS. Bookshop gift cards (waterstones etc) are pretty much a waste of time as these days all your course material will either be available in a whopping great library or online. Most undergrads will buy only 1 or 2 course books the entire time they are at Uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Rikke1996
Congratulations on your offer!

I´d say to just continue what you´re doing now. If you feel like it, you can join groups on social medias for that uni (facebook often has groups like "University of XX class of 20XX") - that´s what I plan to do when I get my offers anyway and that way you will know somebody there when you start :smile:

thanks. im on the undergrad page

Original post by PQ
Sort out accommodation. At both your firm AND insurance unis. Unis run their own applications systems for halls and every one is a but different - you're responsible for making sure you've done everything you need to find somewhere to live.

Look into other options (post exams but pre results) so that you're prepared if things don't go well.

im a mature student so ill be renting a flat local to my choice, thanks for the advice tho.

im a mature student so im ok with all this, but thanks for the help... probs should have said that in the first post.

Original post by inthechaos
Student finance, relaxing (after exams) and maybe a little brief reading into your subject?

ta :biggrin:

Original post by sydneybridge
Read all of this Guide to Results Day so you have some idea of what can happen on Results Day - and what you can do about it - in advance : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A-Level_results_day

And here is a 'shopping list' of Things You Need For Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

PS. Put in some serious study time. How will you feel if you dont - and it goes wrong in August?

the shopping list will be helpful incase there was anythign i dont have.

Original post by Juno
All of this.

Going to uni is expensive, because you'll start needing things you never needed before. It's silly to wait to results day and then rushing out and buying everything at once with no pre-planning. You need to start thinking in advance - it's also less suspicious if you hide things your bed gradually; if you parents wake up the day before you leave and find no saucepans they will know it was you.

You might want to wait a while before buying things as you don't know what will be provided. You might need to take a microwave, but the uni might provide one, or someone else in the accommodation will share. But even if you don't purchase stuff now you need to set aside time and money to get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks

Original post by sydneybridge
As above - its worth gathering together the obvious things now (a new duvet, towels, stationary, a squashy suitcase/big bag) but wait before you buy any kitchen stuff - if you are in catered halls or self catering where every bit of equipment is provided, you'll just be wasting time/money.

If you have a birthday between now and going to Uni - ask for gift cards from obvious places like Tescos, Sainsburys, Boots etc. This is often the best place to buy cheap duvet covers, table lights, crockery, pots and pans. And any supermarket cards are always useful for food, booze etc once you actually get to Uni. Contributions towards a 'laptop fund' is also a good idea - if you dont already own one. PS. Bookshop gift cards (waterstones etc) are pretty much a waste of time as these days all your course material will either be available in a whopping great library or online. Most undergrads will buy only 1 or 2 course books the entire time they are at Uni.

thanks. helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending