The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SBKA
I think that a lot of the Liberal Democrat leadership lean more towards classical liberalism rather than the social aspect. The problem is that they have to please an activist base which is more inclined to be socially liberal.

Do you mean social Democrat instead of social liberal.

I think that there is a split between classical liberals (Clegg, Alexander, Laws) and social democrats (Kennedy, Farron, Cable) but in terms of social policy I'd wager both sides are as liberal as each other. One must remember that the the party of law and order was never going to let the liberals loose in the home office.
Reply 21
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm of the opinion that anyone who does vote for them proves that they should have their right to vote rescinded.

If they drop below 30 I'll celebrate, if they stay above 40 I'll lament. I think the soundest seat by seat prediction
had them at 33 region, so I'll most likely have this face on :indiff:

Why should Lib Dem voters have their right to vote taken away?
Reply 22
Original post by Rakas21

I think that there is a split between classical liberals (Clegg, Alexander, Laws) and social democrats (Kennedy, Farron, Cable) but in terms of social policy I'd wager both sides are as liberal as each other. One must remember that the the party of law and order was never going to let the liberals loose in the home office.

It will be interesting to see what influence the Liberal Democrats hold if they do mange to join a coalition again.
Original post by SBKA
It will be interesting to see what influence the Liberal Democrats hold if they do mange to join a coalition again.

Well Labour have stolen the mansion tax and senate while the Tories have stolen the personal allowance.
Original post by SBKA
Why should Lib Dem voters have their right to vote taken away?

They're directly showing the system doesn't work. That a party can be elected not based on any obligation to enact policy but because of waffle, PR, and idealogical branding. I know individual MPs might not apply to this, but they haven't defected. :dontknow:

Every vote for LDems now is a vote against our voting system. A vote for them is someone putting their hands up and saying 'I don't know how this all works', or 'I want a two party system'. I know they'll linger around on 30ish seats most likely, but quite frankly if the LDems disbanded it would restore my faith in the right to vote. Right now I can't help but feel they're factually symbolic of why the political theatre is a tragedy.

That's why I feel that people voting for them are complacent in that mockery of any vestige of democracy that remains in England, and that we'd be better off without their input. I know that sounds heartless but quite frankly I'm angry that people are still voting for MPs that basically metaphorically urinated on them for the past 4 years; and I didn't even vote for them.
Reply 25
They're directly showing the system doesn't work. That a party can be elected not based on any obligation to enact policy but because of waffle, PR, and idealogical branding. I know individual MPs might not apply to this, but they haven't defected. :dontknow:

Every vote for LDems now is a vote against our voting system. A vote for them is someone putting their hands up and saying 'I don't know how this all works', or 'I want a two party system'. I know they'll linger around on 30ish seats most likely, but quite frankly if the LDems disbanded it would restore my faith in the right to vote. Right now I can't help but feel they're factually symbolic of why the political theatre is a tragedy.

That's why I feel that people voting for them are complacent in that mockery of any vestige of democracy that remains in England, and that we'd be better off without their input. I know that sounds heartless but quite frankly I'm angry that people are still voting for MPs that basically metaphorically urinated on them for the past 4 years; and I didn't even vote for them.

Could it not be argued that MP's from all the political parties in Britain display traits similar to ones you have alluded to?

I would like to think that the vast majority of people voting for the Liberal Democrats are doing so because they genuinely want them to form a majority government, not just because they are admitting to not knowing how a political system works.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SBKA
Could it not be argued that MP's from all the political parties in Britain display traits similar to ones you have alluded to?

I would like to think that the vast majority of people voting for the Liberal Democrats are doing so because genuinely want them to form a majority government, not just because they are admitting to not knowing how a political system works.

True enough, though I find it most prominent in the Ldems after the last election. And I know most people voting for them are just doing so out of habit at this stage for their local MPs, many of whom are probably excellent in their community.

Ah well.
Original post by Rakas21

I think it's pretty sickening for the Tories to continue to describe themselves as the 'party of law and order' when they have all but demolished legal aid. It would be like Labour calling itself the party of the NHS after choking its funding to crisis point.
True enough, though I find it most prominent in the Ldems after the last election.

Any examples? The Lib Dems are certainly the best of a bad bunch in Westminster. The very fact that their MPs signed up to a third party is reason in itself to believe that they aren't in it for political success, otherwise they'd have joined one of the two main parties to fast track themselves to the top.

And I know most people voting for them are just doing so out of habit at this stage for their local MPs, many of whom are probably excellent in their community.

You don't know that though, do you?
Original post by SBKA

I would like to think that the vast majority of people voting for the Liberal Democrats are doing so because they genuinely want them to form a majority government, not just because they are admitting to not knowing how a political system works.

Lib Dems want proportional representation, those who want them to have a majority are contradicting themselves.

Original post by Birkenhead
I think it's pretty sickening for the Tories to continue to describe themselves as the 'party of law and order' when they have all but demolished legal aid. It would be like Labour calling itself the party of the NHS after choking its funding to crisis point.

Well, they do like arresting people. I do agree that was a bad policy though. Not a priority one for me though.
I don't particularly like any of the parties, but I'll be voting for liberal democrats.
Original post by Rakas21
Well Labour have stolen the mansion tax and senate while the Tories have stolen the personal allowance.

What's your opinion on the idea of reforming the House of Lords into a Senate?
Reply 32
Original post by Rakas21
Lib Dems want proportional representation, those who want them to have a majority are contradicting themselves.

My bad. I suppose what I meant is that I would like to think that the majority of Liberal Democrat voters are voting for them because they want them to act as their representatives.
The Liberal were crushed after WW1 because of what they did after it. They should never get back into power again hopefully.
Reply 34
Original post by perspiracious
I don't particularly like any of the parties, but I'll be voting for liberal democrats.

May I ask why you would feel inclined to vote if you do not really like the party you are voting for?

If I walked into a shop and was presented with a load of goods that I did not really want, I would not buy some of them anyway. :smile:
Original post by Swanbow
What's your opinion on the idea of reforming the House of Lords into a Senate?

So long as its a party list rather than candidates in fine with it. That way the parties can put forward 'experts' with less need to act as a delegate simply doing what people want as too many MP's do (if people knew what was good for them then we'd have direct democracy).

More important is the need to reduce the size of both parliaments.
Reply 36
Original post by william walker
The Liberal were crushed after WW1 because of what they did after it. They should never get back into power again hopefully.

I think that a Libertarian party that follows the practices of the old Liberal party still exists today. Not sure how popular they are though.
Reply 37
Original post by Birkenhead

I think they still associate themselves with 'law and order' because they want to be seen as a party that sticks by it's traditional principles.
Original post by SBKA
May I ask why you would feel inclined to vote if you do not really like the party you are voting for?

If I walked into a shop and was presented with a load of goods that I did not really want, I would not buy some of them anyway. :smile:

Because they are the party that most closely represents my views. I am just a little bit sceptical.
Original post by SBKA
I think that a Libertarian party that follows the practices of the old Liberal party still exists today. Not sure how popular they are though.

The Liverpool based Liberal party. It is actually the old Liberal party since the membership was unbroken though much reduced. Not Libertarian though.

Latest

Trending

Trending