The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imranfr0
I was in group A, and I was the guy with jeans and a white jumper wearing glasses. I agree with you with the labs. I wish they showed us more things!

Yet, my parent said they were seeing the labs... Shortage of time, I guess. I was this rather un-social one in a tux and with short ponytail. (I am terrible with faces). Well done on the Leeds offer.
Original post by Citipati
Yet, my parent said they were seeing the labs... Shortage of time, I guess. I was this rather un-social one in a tux and with short ponytail. (I am terrible with faces). Well done on the Leeds offer.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Imranfr0
Thank you! :smile:

What's their department like? Is it more like Imperial or UCL or Southampton or Oxford (only departments I've seen)?
Original post by Chlorophile
What's their department like? Is it more like Imperial or UCL or Southampton or Oxford (only departments I've seen)?

Unfortunately, they didn't show us many thing from the department, but i can tell you that they have lots of labs, and classrooms with microscopes to see minerals woth more detail. Tha department has also rooms full of books, but they told us that most of the things can be found online. The department of Earth Science is the smallest one in Manchester Uni, but i can tell you that they have a building only for geology in the uni, so it isn't that small (in my opinion).
Got my offer- AAB. For Man Uni.
Got my offer- AAB. For Man Uni.

Well done!
Well done!

Cheers! They also require "proof of GCSE English", now that's concerning- don't they have it on the system? Maybe they do not trust me with my origin...hmmm...
meh ABB from manchester :tongue:
I'm a graduate from Cardiff University, I have my Bachelors degree in Exploration & Resource Geology. For anyone thinking of going to Cardiff, I would highly recommend! It's a great course and a great city!

I graduated in 2011, been working for a few years but now I have been accepted onto the MSc Mining Geology at Camborne starting September. Looking forward to being a student again!
Cheers! They also require "proof of GCSE English", now that's concerning- don't they have it on the system? Maybe they do not trust me with my origin...hmmm...

Maybe email them for clarification? It might just be a reiteration of their standard entry requirements, e.g. you've already got it but it's a standard thing that's sent to everyone?

Original post by marinerhuw
I'm a graduate from Cardiff University, I have my Bachelors degree in Exploration & Resource Geology. For anyone thinking of going to Cardiff, I would highly recommend! It's a great course and a great city!

I graduated in 2011, been working for a few years but now I have been accepted onto the MSc Mining Geology at Camborne starting September. Looking forward to being a student again!

Well done! Are you already working in geology?
Maybe email them for clarification? It might just be a reiteration of their standard entry requirements, e.g. you've already got it but it's a standard thing that's sent to everyone?

Well done! Are you already working in geology?

Not currently, the industry has been in a bit of a downturn recently so jobs are hard to come by in exploration. That's the idea with going back to uni, hopefully the job market will be better once I've got my masters. I currently work in local government.
Reply 551
Hiiii everyone

I've applied for Geology BSc and received 4 out of my 5 offers, Royal Holloway and Southampton being my favourites! But I still haven't heard from UCL, anyone else in the same boat? Or has anyone been rejected by them yet? Just wondering about how things work with them because I've seen that people have had offers etc but I still haven't heard!

Thank you
Original post by lbroady
Hiiii everyone

I've applied for Geology BSc and received 4 out of my 5 offers, Royal Holloway and Southampton being my favourites! But I still haven't heard from UCL, anyone else in the same boat? Or has anyone been rejected by them yet? Just wondering about how things work with them because I've seen that people have had offers etc but I still haven't heard!

Thank you

I've heard two other people now saying that UCL's Earth Sciences department has been slow at responding to people so you're definitely not alone :smile: They were very quick before October but now they appear to have slowed down. Don't worry, they will go through your application :smile:
Reply 553
Hi there, I have offers both from Imperial and Bristol for geology bsc and was wandering whether to turn down the imperial offer. This is because I have heard many people say that they hate their degree there and the place is run more like a business and the workload is immense. Im also not too sure how well i'd cope with London life on a student budget :/. Does anybody know if the bristol degree is valued anywhere near as much as an imperial degree from an employers perspective? Thanks :smile:
Anybody going to Leeds this September? I got my grades last year and took a gap year so I'll be starting this year. I'm on the BSc Geological Sciences (Industrial) course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 555
Hi, has anyone been to an applicant day at royal Holloway yet for geology? I have an interview to make my offer an unconditional one. It will take me 7 hours to get there but I would rather go even though it isnt my first choice. Can anyone tell me what to expect? where people wearing suits? will my interview be any different because they are already making me a conditional? any help will be appreciated thanks.
Original post by Pool743
Hi, has anyone been to an applicant day at royal Holloway yet for geology? I have an interview to make my offer an unconditional one. It will take me 7 hours to get there but I would rather go even though it isnt my first choice. Can anyone tell me what to expect? where people wearing suits? will my interview be any different because they are already making me a conditional? any help will be appreciated thanks.

Hey, I went to an applicant day a few months ago. The day consisted of a presentation on student life, a tour of either the campus or accommodation depending on your preference, a lunch where they provide pizza and you chat to current students. Then you have an introduction talk about the department, a tour of the facilities and of course the interview. However, you do not need to be worried about the interview at all it was just a friendly chat, no grilling, just general questions such as what got you interested in geology and things about your personal statement. People did not wear suits, people were dressed quite casually e.g. some people were just wearing jeans. I had the same offer of the unconditional, however, my interviewer did not even bring this up and I still got the unconditional offer. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Lance Jack
Anybody going to Leeds this September? I got my grades last year and took a gap year so I'll be starting this year. I'm on the BSc Geological Sciences (Industrial) course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully, fingers crossed just need the grades now but I have firmed it.
Original post by Beccakatie
Hopefully, fingers crossed just need the grades now but I have firmed it.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 559
Original post by Beccakatie
Hey, I went to an applicant day a few months ago. The day consisted of a presentation on student life, a tour of either the campus or accommodation depending on your preference, a lunch where they provide pizza and you chat to current students. Then you have an introduction talk about the department, a tour of the facilities and of course the interview. However, you do not need to be worried about the interview at all it was just a friendly chat, no grilling, just general questions such as what got you interested in geology and things about your personal statement. People did not wear suits, people were dressed quite casually e.g. some people were just wearing jeans. I had the same offer of the unconditional, however, my interviewer did not even bring this up and I still got the unconditional offer. Good luck :smile:

Hey, thanks for the info and well done on gettting the unconditional offer :smile: Were there many people on there own or was everyone with parents? as ill be on my own :frown: Also on the website it says the earth sciences programme starts at 12:30 with lunch but it also says that it starts at 10? so what time do I need to be there for because if its 10 ill have to get a bus at 3 in the morning. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending