The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomfailinghelp
Haha god I'm exactly the same with English. The only part I'm really interested in is poetry so everything else, particularly coursework I just cannot be arsed :frown:

Haha sorry, didn't mean to sound aggressive or anything

I've a feeling it will go the same way for me!

I think it's probably not that rare. I may well be rejected for Durham, due to my GCSEs, despite getting into Cambridge. It's probably because the latter focuses on UMS, while the former totally ignores it!

Lol don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by foreignbloke
No one said it is, but I reckon it's much safer (of course I may be wrong) for a few reasons:
- no stress on meeting your offer
- realistic uni choices (obviously if you have, for example, ABC at A2 you won't go for Cambridge)
- more things to put on your personal statement
- I've been told by someone who talked with a DoS that a good gap year provides a strong ground for an applicant (more mature and more experience)
- gets you out of your comfort zone - for most people, leaving home and going to uni is a new experience, you need to take care of yourself, become independent... a gap year can help to prepare with that

A gap year is Safer??

If you take a gapyear to apply to cambridge and the get rejected....awkward. Its a much bigger risk than applying in year 13.
Reply 1082
Original post by newblood
A gap year is Safer??

If you take a gapyear to apply to cambridge and the get rejected....awkward. Its a much bigger risk than applying in year 13.

A gap year is only safer if you've got poor grades at AS and can realistically improve that at A2 enough to meet Cambridge's standards.
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ew wjec, take it you're from wales too? I'm on aqa for English which isn't too bad tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, Surrey :/ just got some weird school!
Original post by newblood
A gap year is Safer??

Agree and disagree with this.

On the one hand, yeah, it is rather awkward if you get rejected after applying in your gap year, particularly if you've also applied in the year before. If I didn't get into cambridge this year, I would have been rejected by both sides of Oxbridge....

On the other hand, I got the impression throughout the process that applying on a gap year tends to be looked on favourably unless you're doing something mathsy. First, there's the standard point about grades/UMS - a good average across your top three A-Levels (ie 95+) is arguably better proverbial security than a corresponding average for AS only. Secondly, as foreignbloke said, a gap year can come across as impressive IF you do the right stuff. I did a 6 month internship in an MP's Westminster office where I got the opportunity to do loads that was really relevant to what I applied for (law). It was only mentioned for about 2 minutes in my interview, but I could genuinely tell by the expressions on my interviewers' faces that they liked what I was doing. Thirdly, but this is perhaps something of a lesser point, I think doing a gap year demonstrates a commitment to the process. The fact that you've reapplied (if, of course, you have) shows that you've considered the massive workload at Oxbridge and you're prepared for it.
Woo just watched Theory of Everything in the movies! Absolutely amazing film AND they showed St John's <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Woo just watched Theory of Everything in the movies! Absolutely amazing film AND they showed St John's <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I hated it. Thought it was gonna have lots of Maths and Physics in there. I was totally wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol I hated it. Thought it was gonna have lots of Maths and Physics in there. I was totally wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that was a bit disappointing but it got me excited about Cambridge again :smile: what did you think about the older movie about Stephen Hawking, if you've seen it? As far as I remember that one was mainly about his progress through science whilst this one was more about his emotional journey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drowninginsound
Anyone else experiencing sudden doubts about actually meeting their offer? :redface:

I expected to get the offer from Cambridge but I have never really thought I would meet the offer conditions since STEP is so hard, particularly STEP III there was like only 3 questions I thought I could give a go at one paper and the questions are usually harder than they look I will have to hope for a good paper and try to learn the new Further Maths/Additional Further Maths topics well so I can do STEP questions on them.It doesn't help that I hate Mechanics(particularly the higher level Mechanics I like calculus based Mechanics questions though and coefficient of restitution) and most of the Statistics on the paper is not on the Edexcel Syllabus from what I've seen and I have self taught myself a bit of it.That leaves me with pretty much only pure for STEP III and there are a lo of geometrical and vector stuff I hate out of pure, that is pretty much leaving me with all the Calculus questions now although I am good at it and like it there are some really though Calculus problems on STEP which I find hard.For STEP I and II I should probably be able to do 1 Statistics question and 1 Mechanics question I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
I expected to get the offer from Cambridge but I have never really thought I would meet the offer conditions since STEP is so hard, particularly STEP III there was like only 3 questions I thought I could give a go at one paper and the questions are usually harder than they look I will have to hope for a good paper and try to learn the new Further Maths/Additional Further Maths topics well so I can do STEP questions on them.It doesn't help that I hate Mechanics(particularly the higher level Mechanics I like calculus based Mechanics questions though and coefficient of restitution) and most of the Statistics on the paper is not on the Edexcel Syllabus from what I've seen and I have self taught myself a bit of it.That leaves me with pretty much only pure for STEP III and there are a lo of geometrical and vector stuff I hate out of pure, that is pretty much leaving me with all the Calculus questions now although I am good at it and like it there are some really though Calculus problems on STEP which I find hard.For STEP I and II I should probably be able to do 1 Statistics question and 1 Mechanics question I think.

I find myself doing 4-5 pure in step 1 and 2 and 2 mechanics so I feel alright about step 1 and. 2. I'm not liking the idea of step 3 and havin pg to somehow get 6 pure answers cause the mechanics is so hard apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES! Great movie! I didn't know it was still playing though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umutalberts
YES! Great movie! I didn't know it was still playing though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol it just came out yesterday in Greece

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's really good! Would have loved more physics though. The main actor did History of Art at Trinity. :')

I just watched Les Misérables, and he's in that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Yeah it's really good! Would have loved more physics though. The main actor did History of Art at Trinity. :')

I just watched Les Misérables, and he's in that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never realised it's the same guy :P it was really strange to see Sacha Baron Cochen in a serious role in les mis (history at Christ's) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
I never realised it's the same guy :P it was really strange to see Sacha Baron Cochen in a serious role in les mis (history at Christ's) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol. Have you seen the video of Borat in Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh **** that innkeeper guy was Sacha Baron Cohen?! Mind blown

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol. Have you seen the video of Borat in Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! That moment when the American student tells him his questions about the May Ball are inappropriate :facepalm:
But seriously when you see him in Borat mode it's pretty difficult to imagine that he's a Cambridge graduate
Original post by Elcor
Oh **** that innkeeper guy was Sacha Baron Cohen?! Mind blown

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I didn't realise it at first either! It took a solid five minutes of my friends convincing for me to accept the fact :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure I'd classify his role in Les Mis as very serious :lol:
Original post by Lucilou101
I'm not sure I'd classify his role in Les Mis as very serious :lol:

Relative to Borat and the Dictator it was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Relative to Borat and the Dictator it was

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really think you can compare them - he's a side character in Les Mis that is purely humorous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending