The Student Room Group

Calling females a “female” is now dehumanising. Agree or disagree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippity.doodah
sweet jesus. calling them what they scientifically are is now sexist.

I think they prefer "womyn".

Referring to homosexuals instead of their preferred euphemism "gays" (oops, "gay people") is "homophobic". Referring to "illegal immigrants" is "dehumanising", one should say "undocumented migrants".

The language police really believe they can force everyone to express themselves within the restricted domain of a politically correct prism and force even the most recalcitrant into a progressive worldview.

Or to paraphrase: freedom is the freedom to say that a female is a "female". If that is granted, all else follows.
Lol who said that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think using "male / female" is fine, it depends on the context though obviously, it would sound a bit weird at certain times.

I've seen people on TSR say that using "female" is misogynistic, but I'm pretty sure anyone who says that is talking nonsense.
I don't see it as dehumanising. It can be a bit weird, though, to use it outside of the scientific field. Same with "male". Still, I'd hardly be offended.

What was the context?
This might actually be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. I cannot fathom how somebody could come to think in that way.
I tend not to use female and male because it is medicalising sex, we do retain this conceit that humans are different from the animals. Nothing to do with feminism.

This is in microcosm the problem with feminism: they see there is something off about using "female" to describe a human being outside of a scientific sense, and they automatically call it patriarchy/misogyny. When it's not because it is used for "males" too.

What gets me annoyed is when they say you're not allowed to say "girl". I don't mind being called a boy even though I'm sexually mature, it's a word for a young person.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think there are very few or no circumstances under which I'd use the count-noun 'female' when referring to a woman/women.

That is something distinct from the adjective, which can be used unproblematically.

For analogy see 'black' (adj) and 'black' (n).

My lawyer is the black guy in the corner. Surely okay.
My lawyer is the black in the corner. Surely no way.

I have a female accountant
My accountant is a woman.
Should be ****ing illegal christ
Interesting that two of the three FM's advocating this aren't female.😊
The single most stupid thing I've read this year. That's like people being offended by being called "human" or "people" for that matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ohh **** off. This radical feminist thing is as bad as aggressive atheism. They end up becoming so entrenched in their own dogma is perpetuates hate.

I could understand if they hated being called girls. I don't like being referred to as a boy. Mainly ego in that one, I'm a man, I'm 23.

What should I call them?

That lot with the inverted penis? Skinfolds? The 'XY' lot?
Reply 31
Some people seem to be struggling with the fact that it's not describing someone as female that is at issue, it's referring to someone as 'a female'. It's weird. If you do it without intending to be a dick then you've been spending too much time on sad bits of the internet.
A rather silly complaint, definitely. I don't use the term most of the time though, unless in a scientific context - it sounds a little too clinical to me.
Original post by Ronove
Some people seem to be struggling with the fact that it's not describing someone as female that is at issue, it's referring to someone as 'a female'. It's weird. If you do it without intending to be a dick then you've been spending too much time on sad bits of the internet.

:frown:
Reply 34
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:frown:

:console:
Original post by Ronove
:console:

You are tapping into my fear that I am unintentionally a dick :erm:
Reply 36
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You are tapping into my fear that I am unintentionally a dick :erm:

The way you described it on the first page suggests to me that you're probably one of the few that come off relatively non-dickish when doing it.
Original post by Ronove
The way you described it on the first page suggests to me that you're probably one of the few that come off relatively non-dickish when doing it.

:^_^::hat2:
Reply 38
Original post by thesabbath
I think they prefer "womyn".

Referring to homosexuals instead of their preferred euphemism "gays" (oops, "gay people") is "homophobic". Referring to "illegal immigrants" is "dehumanising", one should say "undocumented migrants".

The language police really believe they can force everyone to express themselves within the restricted domain of a politically correct prism and force even the most recalcitrant into a progressive worldview.

Or to paraphrase: freedom is the freedom to say that a female is a "female". If that is granted, all else follows.

I prefer to tell people straight up that I'm a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, chauvinistic, nationalistic bigot and it's British political correctness that's wrong not me. That way the shock factor is out the way and I can speak normally. The irony is that upon hearing that I often find that many people have even more
Un'PC view that me in various areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blind Ferret
Ohh **** off. This radical feminist thing is as bad as aggressive atheism. They end up becoming so entrenched in their own dogma is perpetuates hate.

I could understand if they hated being called girls. I don't like being referred to as a boy. Mainly ego in that one, I'm a man, I'm 23.

What should I call them?

That lot with the inverted penis? Skinfolds? The 'XY' lot?

*ahem* women have XX and men have XY #awks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending