The Student Room Group

First uni assignment/essay grade?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeaX
I got 58% for my first lab report and I worked fairly hard on it but I was definitely over-complicating things and making silly mistakes (like printing a coloured graph on a black and white printer thereby making it unreadable lol). Luckily the majority of my modules are 100% exam based which suits me better than assignments.

Yes, I see how easy it is to over-complicate things lol. I think we all go through it at some stage, something we can learn from :smile:

I always thought I was better suited to assignments but after taking a recent exam I realised exams aren't too bad.
Original post by Jibola240
I told him about it, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing could be done now. Stuff like this always happen to me, gotten used to it now

I feel for you, I really do. Well, let's hope the draft isn't too bad and can still get you a decent enough grade :smile: Has this happened to you before? I always deleted my drafts to replace it with the newer version just to avoid something like this happening.
Original post by RainbowKiwi
I feel for you, I really do. Well, let's hope the draft isn't too bad and can still get you a decent enough grade :smile: Has this happened to you before? I always deleted my drafts to replace it with the newer version just to avoid something like this happening.

Thanks, I really hope the grade isn't too bad, as I worked really hard on it. This exact situation hasn't happend before, but I have always had bad luck(or been stupid) regarding work. For example, I got a lower grade than I should on one of my Alevels because a significant amount of the coursework was lost on the USB stick(it broke). I deleted the work on the computer earlier to free up space. The only hard copies I had were thrown away by my dad by mistake. So it was all gone. I need to be better organised lol.
I assumed everyone used percentages. Does that mean when you get a grade for an assignment, you don't know how close you got to the next grade? That's one of the good things about the percentage system

I've heard how courses like Psychology are hard to get high marks on. Good on you for maintaining B and above! :smile:

A percentage might be good but personally I don't think it's important in psychology because the marking is never precise anyway due to different markers having different ideas about how things should be done and some being easier distracted from the content by your written expression for instance while others may nitpick and mark you down for having a single comma in the wrong place in a reference. For some of our assignments we get given grades for each individual part of our assignment so we can see exactly where we can improve. For example, in my most recent feedback which was for an intervention proposal, I received: Conceptual - B, Context - B, Rationale - B, Discipline - B, Plan - C, Evaluation - B, Expression - A, Citations - B, References - B. so 7 Bs, 1 A and 1 C. I'll probably just get a flat B, potentially depending on how the sections are weighted it's possible I could get a B- or a B+ but I think this is quite unlikely. The most important thing is being told exactly what needs to be done to achieve the next grade up and that's what makes the best feedback, there's no point being given a precise number if you don't know exactly how to increase it.

Thank you :smile:
I guess the markers love to see proof of wider reading involved. This seems to be one of the main things they look out for in assignments.

I think I used 8 or 9 for a 2500 word essay which isn't very good but considering the grade I got, I don't think they were expecting much from first years.

Now using around 20-30 different sources and hitting those grades again. Got an A with 12 though...
You've managed to keep to your high standard, well done :smile: any tips you can share with me? I'm worried about setting myself up too high only to struggle to keep it up.

I know, but I'm pretty shocked about how well I've been doing. I didn't expect to get a 1st on the first one let alone the rest of them (even though I'm always hoping to get a 1st in everything). I just make sure I leave enough time to plan and complete the assignment without having to rush. Then I also have enough time to thoroughly check over my assignments and make improvements if needed. I think getting results back that I'm pleased with has helped me keep up my motivation to work as hard as I have been doing.
I'm sure if you work hard, you will get good grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Psyc_Girl
I know, but I'm pretty shocked about how well I've been doing. I didn't expect to get a 1st on the first one let alone the rest of them (even though I'm always hoping to get a 1st in everything). I just make sure I leave enough time to plan and complete the assignment without having to rush. Then I also have enough time to thoroughly check over my assignments and make improvements if needed. I think getting results back that I'm pleased with has helped me keep up my motivation to work as hard as I have been doing.
I'm sure if you work hard, you will get good grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I really hope I can stay motivated through each one. I would like to think I work hard but who knows what that means in terms of how the markers view it 😨 Anyway, I have my result for my first assignment due tomorrow. I am so worried! Hopefully, my hard work has paid off 😅
Thanks, I really hope the grade isn't too bad, as I worked really hard on it. This exact situation hasn't happend before, but I have always had bad luck(or been stupid) regarding work. For example, I got a lower grade than I should on one of my Alevels because a significant amount of the coursework was lost on the USB stick(it broke). I deleted the work on the computer earlier to free up space. The only hard copies I had were thrown away by my dad by mistake. So it was all gone. I need to be better organised lol.

That sounds like an awful thing to happen, sounds like a really bad day 😅 Well, all we can do is learn from things like that, I suppose. Just for back up, I think you should always email yourself a copy, just so you know there's one saved online too :smile:

Don't worry about this one too much, what's done is done. I hope it goes well for you 😊
Oh, I really hope I can stay motivated through each one. I would like to think I work hard but who knows what that means in terms of how the markers view it 😨 Anyway, I have my result for my first assignment due tomorrow. I am so worried! Hopefully, my hard work has paid off 😅

Good luck! I'm sure your hard work has paid off, let us know how it goes :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Good luck! I'm sure your hard work has paid off, let us know how it goes :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like an awful thing to happen, sounds like a really bad day ������ Well, all we can do is learn from things like that, I suppose. Just for back up, I think you should always email yourself a copy, just so you know there's one saved online too :smile:

Don't worry about this one too much, what's done is done. I hope it goes well for you ������

Yeah I've started doing that now(emailing myself a copy), thanks for the advice though. I ended up getting 58% which is better than a fail :smile:
I got 79% I could literally cry right now!
Yeah I've started doing that now(emailing myself a copy), thanks for the advice though. I ended up getting 58% which is better than a fail :smile:

58% is more than ok, well done!! :smile:
I got 79% í ½í¸„í ½í¸„í ½í¸„ I could literally cry right now!

Congrats :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
62%. Since then I have got one more 62 and the rest have been lower. Don't know what is going on at all.

Original post by Anonymous #2
62%. Since then I have got one more 62 and the rest have been lower. Don't know what is going on at all.

Wasn't there anything useful in the feedback to tell you what areas you weren't quite hitting? Maybe asking the tutor for a one-to-one sometime may help get things in perspective.
Wasn't there anything useful in the feedback to tell you what areas you weren't quite hitting? Maybe asking the tutor for a one-to-one sometime may help get things in perspective.

Sometimes it can be quite useful but other times it seems a bit random. I'm due another one back in 5 minutes. :eek:

Well done on your 79 btw, so good!
65%, B+. I was expecting it to be higher but anyhow, after that I was getting between B- to B+ then started getting A+ (80-90%) which I'm pleased about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 79% ������������������ I could literally cry right now!

Ah, we'll done

58% is more than ok, well done!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending