The Student Room Group

Studying 3 as levels in 4 months for the May/June exams!?

So here goes... My names richard, I'm 18 years old and I'm currently studying electrical installation level 3 at college which is one day a week. I hate it, I don't want to be an electrician, I've never wanted to be one I've just never known what I wanted until now... It's all dawned on me, life has started hitting me square on! I'm looking to study As biology, economics and enviromental studies with the hope of studying something biology related at university if I get there... My dad is an economics teacher and my sister has a degree in economics so I guess learning it won't be so bad right? Surely it must run in the family? Do you think it's possible to learn these 3 as levels for the summer exams this year?

I've met a girl, I met her in summer while travelling Italy. she's beautiful and everything I've ever dreamed of, but there's one catch... She's scottish, and she goes to Edinburgh university and shes graduating this year, yet she chooses to be with me, a low life going no where. I'm really wanting to change my life around, I don't want to lose her because she's just incredible! Do you think think I can pull it off?

p.s she wants to travel Croatia in the summer with me.
Original post by Richard_pullan
So here goes... My names richard, I'm 18 years old and I'm currently studying electrical installation level 3 at college which is one day a week. I hate it, I don't want to be an electrician, I've never wanted to be one I've just never known what I wanted until now... It's all dawned on me, life has started hitting me square on! I'm looking to study As biology, economics and enviromental studies with the hope of studying something biology related at university if I get there... My dad is an economics teacher and my sister has a degree in economics so I guess learning it won't be so bad right? Surely it must run in the family? Do you think it's possible to learn these 3 as levels for the summer exams this year?

I've met a girl, I met her in summer while travelling Italy. she's beautiful and everything I've ever dreamed of, but there's one catch... She's scottish, and she goes to Edinburgh university and shes graduating this year, yet she chooses to be with me, a low life going no where. I'm really wanting to change my life around, I don't want to lose her because she's just incredible! Do you think think I can pull it off?

Soo much happiness and motivation!

If you really want to make something off your life, grab it by both horns and run with it! However, you would be self-teaching those three AS levels, right? That could make 4months quite tight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Richard, thanks for your bio! I suggest you go and do your AS levels. Would it be possible to get 3 AS levels in this year?. Well the economics AS should be fine given your family background. Biology and environmental studies would be harder because you've already missed a term of AS. But you could always go to the college and see whether you can start asap and take at least some of the exams in May.

If they don't allow you to do that you could focus solely on the economics up to AS and A2 levels for this summer. You could probably get most of the A level in then. if not all of it.

If the worst comes to the worst, you may have to start fresh in September. But that might not be a bad thing at all in the long run.

First step would be to see if a college would be willing to accept you now.

Self teaching is another option or getting private tuition.

All the best.
Yeah I think I'm getting to that stage where I need to grab those horns! Yeah self teaching alongside this level 3! I just don't want to lose her you know? I can't see her staying around much longer if I don't pursue something and make something of myself? She's doing primary education so she'll be starting her working life next year and I'm just here still pondering on what I want to do? I don't think it helps that I'm lazy
Also I've taken as levels once before, I just never really gave them a good shot, I did biology before so I know some of the basics in that. I've already found a school which are willing to enter me in for the exams as well.
If you stick to a decent timetable, you'll be able to learn it all comfortably. In fact, with your spare time you could probably learn more at home than you would in a whole year at college. I often wish I could just self teach my course as I learn little at college. Good luck buddy.
Original post by Richard_pullan

With the amount of motivation you have at the moment I doubt that you wont be able to do them, personally I have experienced doing 3 A2's and 2 AS's in one year and although i must admit at the beginning it really requires a lot of determination and really fixing your mind on the goal that you hope to achieve but after around 3 weeks the heavy revision that you will be having to do everyday will begin to feel the norm and you will be fine so as long as you personally can say to yourself 'YES' then you will be fine:

- I can revise 4 hours minimum a day excluding some weekends
- I really want to achieve a decent grade in 3 AS's and will let nothing stop me
- I want to better my life

ps. You will smash economics personally i would go for the whole a-level in 4 months if i was you, the amount of help that you are going to have access to is more than most students could wish for.

Quick Reply

Latest