The Student Room Group

Question about girlfriends and girls who happen to be friends

I was arguing with a buddy of mine today about whether the friendzone exists or not. He said it was perfectly possible for someone to be really close to a girl without developing feelings for her, while I argued the opposite.

In the end the argument between us got no where, but I'm left wanting to ask TSR...

Have you ever been in a very close platonic relationship with a girl/guy without developing romantic feelings, or having it evolve into something more intimate?

Scroll to see replies

Nope. Unfortunately not.
Sure, theoretically possible. Why not?
it is possible, i know a few women that i get on with really well but i don't want to go out with them.
Reply 4
Of course it is. I have plenty of female friends and having feelings for them all would be exhausting! And pointless seeing as I have a girlfriend...
I have 4 great guy friends that I know do not see me as anything more than a friend:smile: it's definitely possible!
Personally, I'd think the only way for someone to be friends with someone of the opposite sex, is if one or both of them find the other unattractive for some reason. For example, if they're into tall boys, or smart boys, then despite how close they get, they'll never find them attractive.

(Personally, i find friendships with the opposite sex to be awkward, because there are a few boys I get on insanely well with, but I'm constantly panicking that they think I'm attracted to them, which I just don't get with girls. It's silly, I know, but i think it comes from being in an all girls school, and only really spending time with boys my age when I went to college.
Reply 7
Original post by shiva300
I have 4 great guy friends that I know do not see me as anything more than a friend:smile: it's definitely possible!

Please do not take up a career in counterterrorism, clinical psychology or anything else that requires a keen intuition of other people.

If those 4 boys are straight, I guarantee you that they have, at the very least had numerous sexual fantasies about you.

The only reason they tell you otherwise, or let you think otherwise is that if they said so explicitly, it would make it as awkward as a ginger stepchild.
Original post by Clip
Please do not take up a career in counterterrorism, clinical psychology or anything else that requires a keen intuition of other people.

If those 4 boys are straight, I guarantee you that they have, at the very least had numerous sexual fantasies about you.

The only reason they tell you otherwise, or let you think otherwise is that if they said so explicitly, it would make it as awkward as a ginger stepchild.

This would only work if:

- All men are attracted to all women

- All men have no standards and would sleep with any woman

Is it that hard to fathom that a guy would be friends with a girl he doesn't find attractive?
Reply 9
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
This would only work if:

- All men are attracted to all women

- All men have no standards and would sleep with any woman

Is it that hard to fathom that a guy would be friends with a girl he doesn't find attractive?

I am, I don't, yes.
I think it depends on how close the girl and guy are. Very close friends who speak everyday is likely to lead to one developing feelings. Such a close friendship is basically dating minus sex.

But more casual friendships are entirely possible. I have many guy friends at uni who I am not that close to them, but still consider them friends. I don't speak to them daily, don't hang out one to one etc. These situations are different from the above close friend of the opposite sex
I agree with your friends tbh, I'd talk to a few girls who I'd like to think are friends that I'm just not attracted too. I've even chilled out with one of them a couple of times one to one, had a meal, went shopping & stuff. It's never going to be anything more then friendship (on my side at least) so that's proof.
Original post by Clip
I am, I don't, yes.

That makes no sense.

Must be exhausting being attracted to every woman you come across.
I'm cynical with guy friends. There's plenty under that banner that just feed attention to their female handler.

On the other hand I have a few female friends who I have no attraction to. I have the occasional, they have nice bits but that's it. There'd be nothing else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
That makes no sense.

Must be exhausting being attracted to every woman you come across.

Well - within reason. I'd say 18-48 age group - and "attracted to" is a misrepresentation. "Would have sex" with is probably closer.

It's not exhausting at all. You get used to it after a while.
Original post by Clip
Well - within reason. I'd say 18-48 age group - and "attracted to" is a misrepresentation. "Would have sex" with is probably closer.

It's not exhausting at all. You get used to it after a while.

Ok so you've just proved that most men would have sex with anything with a vagina - within a respectable age bracket of course :wink: but this thread is concerning the friend zone which unless I've misunderstood involves a bit more than just sex.

You wouldn't describe your relationship with these women as a friend zone if they refuse would you?
Original post by Grantland
I was arguing with a buddy of mine today about whether the friendzone exists or not. He said it was perfectly possible for someone to be really close to a girl without developing feelings for her, while I argued the opposite.

In the end the argument between us got no where, but I'm left wanting to ask TSR...

Have you ever been in a very close platonic relationship with a girl/guy without developing romantic feelings, or having it evolve into something more intimate?

Im gay so going to answer in regards to that.

My closest friends are majority male. I get on with them really well but don't have feelings (in the romantic sense) for them, and i am really close with these guys. And i find highly unlikely that any of these relationships would evolve into something more intimate.

Thought to be fair my first boyfriend and I where original very close friends and i liked him pretty much from the start
Yep, can certainly happen, I have several friends that are girls who I could tell anything to but have no feelings of intimacy toward them
Reply 18
Ok so you've just proved that most men would have sex with anything with a vagina - within a respectable age bracket of course :wink: but this thread is concerning the friend zone which unless I've misunderstood involves a bit more than just sex.

You wouldn't describe your relationship with these women as a friend zone if they refuse would you?

No of course not, but we're answering two different questions.

The first is -"would most men generally have sex with almost anyone?" - I would say the answer is yes.

That's completely different from - "is it possible to be friends with a woman?" The answer is of course "yes", but that doesn't mean you still wouldn't constantly think about having sex with her.
One of my best friends is a guy and it was never going to be more than friendship even when I was single because I'm just not attracted to him looks wise or personality wise. We've been close for four years and nothing's ever happened. At one point he did admit that he had feelings for me but I let him know it was never going to turn into anything more than friendship and we were fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending