The Student Room Group

M Obama sparks backlash for not covering head in Saudi Arabia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HAnwar
Yeah we're all brainwashed.

Or maybe she's doing it because she's obeying her Lord?

If it's the 'law' then she just obeying the law

and if it has to be enforced then it's not done through choice
Reply 81
Original post by Skip_Snip
Michelle Obama ain't a muslim, so it's not compulsory for her.

Like I said before, it's called respect.
Reply 82
Original post by HAnwar
It isn't an oppressive dress code.
It's compulsory on a Muslim woman to wear a headscarf. Any woman refusing to do so is just being lazy and picking and choosing her own rules of Islam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having a dress code is oppressive itself, the fact that you tell your citizens what to wear is a violation of basic human expression. It's funny how with most muslims if someone else believes something slightly different they are automatically wrong because they don't agree with you.

Essentially Michelle Obama had no reason to cover her head. She's not muslim and her owner (barack, at least as islam would see him) was obviously fine with people seeing his prized possession.

If you want western people to respect islam and cover up in muslim countries then 1. Uncover in western countries to respect our culture 2. Any time a muslim is in a place that actually observes another religion they better follow all the rules, I'm expecting muslims in Italy to start going to church

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Like I said before, it's called respect.

She was attending a funeral for an awful despot, even showing up was too much respect.
Reply 84
Original post by Wade-
Having a dress code is oppressive itself, the fact that you tell your citizens what to wear is a violation of basic human expression. It's funny how with most muslims if someone else believes something slightly different they are automatically wrong because they don't agree with you.

Essentially Michelle Obama had no reason to cover her head. She's not muslim and her owner (barack, at least as islam would see him) was obviously fine with people seeing his prized possession.

If you want western people to respect islam and cover up in muslim countries then 1. Uncover in western countries to respect our culture 2. Any time a muslim is in a place that actually observes another religion they better follow all the rules, I'm expecting muslims in Italy to start going to church

Posted from TSR Mobile

The majority of the Muslims hold the view that a Muslim woman has to wear a scarf. This is because all the main Islamic schools of thought are in agreement with this. So yes, to reject this ruling means that another Muslim is wrong because it's already been addressed by the top and most knowledgeable scholars.

Islam would not see him as her 'owner' or 'possession'. Unfortunately that is the view held by others like you who see women as inferior and objectify them.

I don't care how Western people dress in Muslim countries, as long as they are dressing appropriately. Covering up here is not to do with culture but with religion. No where does it say in Western culture that covering one's body is seen as disrespectful.

Do all the people of that country attend church themselves? Show me one Muslim country that says non Muslims have to visit the mosque out of respect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Skip_Snip
She was attending a funeral for an awful despot, even showing up was too much respect.

Well who told her to show up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by HAnwar
The majority of the Muslims hold the view that a Muslim woman has to wear a scarf. This is because all the main Islamic schools of thought are in agreement with this. So yes, to reject this ruling means that another Muslim is wrong because it's already been addressed by the top and most knowledgeable scholars.

Islam would not see him as her 'owner' or 'possession'. Unfortunately that is the view held by others like you who see women as inferior and objectify them.

I don't care how Western people dress in Muslim countries, as long as they are dressing appropriately. Covering up here is not to do with culture but with religion. No where does it say in Western culture that covering one's body is seen as disrespectful.

Do all the people of that country attend church themselves? Show me one Muslim country that says non Muslims have to visit the mosque out of respect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where have you got this idea from that I view women as possessions? I don't subscribe to a religion that objectifies women and views them as possessions to be collected.

So you want her to conform to one religious rule (of a religion that she doesn't even follow) but she doesn't have to follow others? Who's picking and choosing rules now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Wade-
Where have you got this idea from that I view women as possessions? I don't subscribe to a religion that objectifies women and views them as possessions to be collected.

So you want her to conform to one religious rule (of a religion that she doesn't even follow) but she doesn't have to follow others? Who's picking and choosing rules now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Islam certainly doesn't so I don't know how you brought that up. Must be your own mind set.

She doesn't have to do anything. Like I said for the millionth time, it's out of respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by HAnwar
Well Islam certainly doesn't so I don't know how you brought that up. Must be your own mind set.

She doesn't have to do anything. Like I said for the millionth time, it's out of respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well particularly in Saudi Arabia, you can hardly deny they're second class citizens.

So why should she follow one rule out of respect but not follow a different rule out of respect. I think muslims just need to stop trying to push their religion on to other people; if you're not muslim you don't have to follow the rules
Reply 89
Original post by Wade-
Well particularly in Saudi Arabia, you can hardly deny they're second class citizens.

So why should she follow one rule out of respect but not follow a different rule out of respect. I think muslims just need to stop trying to push their religion on to other people; if you're not muslim you don't have to follow the rules

We don't know that. Yes I do think that they should be allowed to drive there, but if you ask a woman living there, she might be perfectly comfortable and content with being chauffeured everywhere.

Ok why doesn't she follow all the rules out of respect then? That would be even better.
A Muslim's duty in Islam is to spread the word of God. You may get preachers or people handing out leaflets on the streets or whatever, but no one can force you to revert to Islam. If you're a non Muslim that travels to a Muslim country, you know you're going to have to obey the laws of that country, that's the same with every country. Some of these laws may be based on Islam e.g. dressing modestly and so you will be required to carry these out. No one is making you to pray to their God. That would be forcing their religion upon you. And no Muslim can push their religion onto another person.

Quran: ''There is no compulsion in religion.''
(Surah Al-Baqarah 2:256)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst I want to say good for her, the fact remains you shouldn't go around insulting religious loonies.
Original post by Izzyeviel
Whilst I want to say good for her, the fact remains you shouldn't go around insulting religious loonies.

Only because they might kill you, not because islamic loonies shouldn't be insulted.
Reply 92
Original post by HAnwar
We don't know that. Yes I do think that they should be allowed to drive there, but if you ask a woman living there, she might be perfectly comfortable and content with being chauffeured everywhere.

Ok why doesn't she follow all the rules out of respect then? That would be even better.
A Muslim's duty in Islam is to spread the word of God. You may get preachers or people handing out leaflets on the streets or whatever, but no one can force you to revert to Islam. If you're a non Muslim that travels to a Muslim country, you know you're going to have to obey the laws of that country, that's the same with every country. Some of these laws may be based on Islam e.g. dressing modestly and so you will be required to carry these out. No one is making you to pray to their God. That would be forcing their religion upon you. And no Muslim can push their religion onto another person.

Quran: ''There is no compulsion in religion.''
(Surah Al-Baqarah 2:256)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some might well be more comfortable with that but they should at least be given the option as I'm sure there are many that would like the independence.

The law does not require women to cover their heads in Saudi Arabia so by not covering her head she is simply not following an Islamic law (it's funny that you talk about it as being so fundamental in Islam yet multiple muslim majority countries have banned the hijab in certain places). You can't pick and choose which Islamic laws you're happy for her to follow and those that you're happy for her to go against.

It's also quite funny that muslim people like quoting the quran but when non-muslims do it to make a point they're not taking it in context

Posted from TSR Mobile
No big deal. She's not Muslim. She's a guest. She didn't have to wear any Muslim thing.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by Wade-
Some might well be more comfortable with that but they should at least be given the option as I'm sure there are many that would like the independence.

The law does not require women to cover their heads in Saudi Arabia so by not covering her head she is simply not following an Islamic law (it's funny that you talk about it as being so fundamental in Islam yet multiple muslim majority countries have banned the hijab in certain places). You can't pick and choose which Islamic laws you're happy for her to follow and those that you're happy for her to go against.

It's also quite funny that muslim people like quoting the quran but when non-muslims do it to make a point they're not taking it in context

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I do think they should be given the choice to drive as I already mentioned. No where in Islam does it say women can't drive, so I don't know why this law has been implemented.

Which Muslim countries have banned the hijab in certain places?
And even if they did, it doesn't make it right. Most Muslim countries are becoming secular now anyways.
So imagine we told her to obey all the rules. Don't you think there would be an uprising?

It's also quite funny how you like to generalise. I did not take anything out of context. If you read my points, you would see that they link to the Quranic verse I posted.
Some non Muslims do take it out of context and some don't. The same with some Muslims who do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by HAnwar
Yes I do think they should be given the choice to drive as I already mentioned. No where in Islam does it say women can't drive, so I don't know why this law has been implemented.

Which Muslim countries have banned the hijab in certain places?
And even if they did, it doesn't make it right. Most Muslim countries are becoming secular now anyways.
So imagine we told her to obey all the rules. Don't you think there would be an uprising?

It's also quite funny how you like to generalise. I did not take anything out of context. If you read my points, you would see that they link to the Quranic verse I posted.
Some non Muslims do take it out of context and some don't. The same with some Muslims who do as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turkey, Tunisia and Syria had but they repealed it. Also some basic research has shown that it's not even as mandatory as you've made out that muslim women cover their heads.

Well no she just wouldn't go or wouldn't obey all of them. You're missing my point, you see her covering her head as a rule so why do you want her to follow that rule but then you're happy for her to break the rule about going to mosque?

Where else have I generalised? Yeah I bet if I had used that same verse it would have been ok but if I had taken something to highlight the violence then I'd be told I'm taking it out of context

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahrheit
In the grand scheme of things, we really don't need Saudi anything like as much as they need us. They have sand and oil, the US has everything else and marginally less oil. They don't buy Saudi cars, Saudi smartphones, Saudi televisions, they buy western (+easy Asian to be fair) smartphones, cars, televisions. Agriculture is pretty weak in desert climate too.

You're right, the cars are powered by magic fairy dust. LOL.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
You're right, the cars are powered by magic fairy dust. LOL.

No it's powered by oil of which about 5 percent they get from Saudi Arabia compared to 14 percent of the total Saudi imports and exports which are with the United States.
Original post by Wahrheit
No it's powered by oil of which about 5 percent they get from Saudi Arabia compared to 14 percent of the total Saudi imports and exports which are with the United States.

We can all come up with the conclusion that the US and Saudi Arabia need each other.
Original post by Wade-
Well she's a Christian so why should she have covered her head?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 Corinthians 11:6
"If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head."

Quick Reply