The Student Room Group
Original post by Contacthaber
Can somebody please answer my question
what is the relationship between evaporation rate and pressure????

Welcome to TSR physics.

In order to give you a useful reply you need to provide a bit more information as the question is a little vague.

Evaporation rate of what?
Pressure of what?
Under what conditions?

If it's an actual exam or homework question, it's better if you post the complete question.
Reply 2
In my book it says that decreasing the atmospheric pressure increases the rate of evaporation. Can you please elaborate on this statement as I am not able to understand the concept behind this.
Thank you
In my book it says that decreasing the atmospheric pressure increases the rate of evaporation. Can you please elaborate on this statement as I am not able to understand the concept behind this.
Thank you

I can only guess at what your book is explaining as you haven't provided any context or background.
However, evaporation of liquids occurs on the surface of the earth when energetic atoms from a liquid escape the body of the liquid and move into the atmosphere.
Molecules of the gasses that are already present in the atmosphere will tend to get in the way of the evaporating atoms as they will collide with them.
So if you reduce the pressure of the atmosphere and consequently reduce the number of molecules of gas present, there are fewer to get in the way.
Result...?
You tell me.
Reply 4
So the more energetic molecules on the surface of liquid will easily escape as the frequency of collision decreases. Thanks really appreciated
So the more energetic molecules on the surface of liquid will easily escape as the frequency of collision decreases. Thanks really appreciated

Yes. That's it.
Reply 6
Hello i was asking how should i now prepare for my physics exam in may. Whats the beat preparation method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hello i was asking how should i now prepare for my physics exam in may. Whats the beat preparation method?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please start a new thread for this.
This is an old question from last year and has been answered.
The thread is closed.