The Student Room Group

Erasmus University Rotterdam 2015/2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilarih
Hey guys,
I also received an offer for International Business Economics a couple of weeks ago. How are you planning on sorting out the accommodation in Rotterdam? And also is anyone going to the student for a day on the 28th of January?

Hey man! Congratulations on the offer.

I'm not going on the 28th, it's in the middle of school plus its that part of the year where all the internal assessments, math explorations and etc are due, I might go on the later open days.

As for accomodation I was checking the Erasmus website and as far as im concerned there was no dorms (or did I miss them?), I think I'm planning on getting a studio appartement and living in solitude though my friends in highschool insist that it would be harder to make friends if you don't live around others.

I think I'll start fully looking into accomodations in mid-July, when I recieve my final grades.What type of housing would you be looking for?
Reply 21
Original post by wightvader1
Hey man! Congratulations on the offer.

I'm not going on the 28th, it's in the middle of school plus its that part of the year where all the internal assessments, math explorations and etc are due, I might go on the later open days.

As for accomodation I was checking the Erasmus website and as far as im concerned there was no dorms (or did I miss them?), I think I'm planning on getting a studio appartement and living in solitude though my friends in highschool insist that it would be harder to make friends if you don't live around others.

I think I'll start fully looking into accomodations in mid-July, when I recieve my final grades.What type of housing would you be looking for?

Yeah, I'm going to have to take a couple of days off school for that, but we already finished all our IAs so it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I haven't come across anything on dorms. Three of my classmates also got offers to Erasmus but for the IBA program so we are trying to find housing where we could all fit. Probably we're gonna need to rent something from the private market.

I was just wondering what the condition was on the offer for you guys, since on my offer it did not specify a distinct amount of points. It just said that they expect a 'positive result'. Does this mean that I need to get final grades close to my predicted grades or do I simply need to pass the IB?
Original post by ilarih
Yeah, I'm going to have to take a couple of days off school for that, but we already finished all our IAs so it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I haven't come across anything on dorms. Three of my classmates also got offers to Erasmus but for the IBA program so we are trying to find housing where we could all fit. Probably we're gonna need to rent something from the private market.

I was just wondering what the condition was on the offer for you guys, since on my offer it did not specify a distinct amount of points. It just said that they expect a 'positive result'. Does this mean that I need to get final grades close to my predicted grades or do I simply need to pass the IB?

Are you doing the IB too? What predicted did you get if you don't mind me asking.

The offer doesn't mention any conditions, it just says : "Please note that this e-mail and selection offer only refer to your selection for the IBEB programme and that you only have admission to this programme on the basis of your International Baccalaureate Diploma (to be obtained in 2015). You will still need to submit a certified copy of your diploma + final grade list with the Erasmus School of Economics by postal services no later than 1st of August 2015."
Reply 23
Are you doing the IB too? What predicted did you get if you don't mind me asking.

The offer doesn't mention any conditions, it just says : "Please note that this e-mail and selection offer only refer to your selection for the IBEB programme and that you only have admission to this programme on the basis of your International Baccalaureate Diploma (to be obtained in 2015). You will still need to submit a certified copy of your diploma + final grade list with the Erasmus School of Economics by postal services no later than 1st of August 2015."

Yeah I'm doing the IB too. I was predicted 42, however I highly doubt I'll be able to reach that.

My offer looked exactly the same as that. I'm just worried that they will expect me to get final grades of around 40.

Where are you doing your IB?
Original post by ilarih
Yeah I'm doing the IB too. I was predicted 42, however I highly doubt I'll be able to reach that.

My offer looked exactly the same as that. I'm just worried that they will expect me to get final grades of around 40.

Where are you doing your IB?

Oh, In which case there is no need to worry.My university councelor said what they would want for final grades is around 30, other Dutch Universities might just ask for a Pass, I got a predicted of 36 (underpredicted :frown: ), so they might want final results to be anywehre from around 25-35.

I'm doing IB in Monaco, can't wait to move out of this tourist attraction and move to a big city, also also the Netherlands has certain benefits which only certain countries like Uruguay and certain states in the US share ;P
Reply 25
Congrats on your offer ilarih! Where are you from? :smile:

And guys, for accommodation there are a number of places! the university reserves rooms for the students. We can start applying in March for housing starting August 31.

http://www.sshxl.nl/en/erasmus-university-rotterdam here's the website. browse around.
Reply 26
I'm from Finland. It seems like the classroom will be quite international next year. :biggrin:

Good to know that they have accommodation that you can apply for. I'll have a look at that somewhere closer to March then.

Where are you guys from and is Rotterdam your number 1 choice of university or is it a backup?
Reply 27
Original post by ilarih
I'm from Finland. It seems like the classroom will be quite international next year. :biggrin:

Good to know that they have accommodation that you can apply for. I'll have a look at that somewhere closer to March then.

Where are you guys from and is Rotterdam your number 1 choice of university or is it a backup?

Yeah! So far we've got a Finn, Russian, German..and I'm Syrian :cool:

I'm Syrian/American/Iraqi. Rotterdam is my number one choice for sure. How about you?
Reply 28
Original post by Abdo332
Yeah! So far we've got a Finn, Russian, German..and I'm Syrian :cool:

I'm Syrian/American/Iraqi. Rotterdam is my number one choice for sure. How about you?

Rotterdam is currently looking like it is my first choice although I also applied to University of Edinburgh via UCAS. The location is just so perfect since it's right in the heart of Europe and most European cities are accessible quite easily. Also the tuition costs are low and from what I've gathered the level of education is very high and masters prospects are good.

I'm visiting both Rotterdam and Edinburgh fairly soon so only then I'll be able to tell for sure which one I like most, however I think it will be Rotterdam.
Original post by ilarih
Hey guys,
I also received an offer for International Business Economics a couple of weeks ago. How are you planning on sorting out the accommodation in Rotterdam? And also is anyone going to the student for a day on the 28th of January?

Hi, may I ask what your predicted grades and offer are? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by milkberries
Hi, may I ask what your predicted grades and offer are? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was predicted 42 points in the IB. The offer doesn't state a specific condition that you need to achieve in order to be given a place in the university. It says that you need to send in your final grades list, so I'm guessing that a pass from the IB will do :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by ilarih
Rotterdam is currently looking like it is my first choice although I also applied to University of Edinburgh via UCAS. The location is just so perfect since it's right in the heart of Europe and most European cities are accessible quite easily. Also the tuition costs are low and from what I've gathered the level of education is very high and masters prospects are good.

I'm visiting both Rotterdam and Edinburgh fairly soon so only then I'll be able to tell for sure which one I like most, however I think it will be Rotterdam.

Edinburgh sounds great too!

And yeah, the tuition costs and location are just top notch. :smile:

Are you visiting any time soon? Sounds exciting :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Abdo332
Edinburgh sounds great too!

And yeah, the tuition costs and location are just top notch. :smile:

Are you visiting any time soon? Sounds exciting :biggrin:

Im going to Rotterdam in a week to the student for a day program :biggrin: what about you?
Reply 33
Original post by ilarih
Im going to Rotterdam in a week to the student for a day program :biggrin: what about you?

Sadly I can't visit :frown: but tell me how that goes! hope you enjoy it, bro.
Reply 34
Original post by Abdo332
Yeah, bud! Be sure to keep me updated.

Good luck! I'm sure they're just, as you said, looking into it (to see if they'll exempt you or not. I think they will)

Hey I thought I would update you on my situation, after some back and forth with them we have agreed in coordination with my school that I will be sitting the IGCSE English as a Fist Language exam this upcoming summer, so next month I will be getting a mock and with the predicted grade, Erasmus will proceed with my application and since I only require a C I do not think it should be too much of a challenge and if they somehow do decide not to make me an offer I can still simply not do it :tongue: .

On another note, I got today my offer from Utrecht, it took me two minutes to realize though it was an offer as they did not bother to write anything along the lines of congratulations or you have been accepted and simply wrote that I have to pass my GCE A-Levels in order to be admitted lmao.

But yeah I shall keep you all further informed on how it goes and I plan on getting this mock out the way asap, and since I am the only student in year 13 it won't be a issue for me to do the mock soon. This weekend after I did a past paper I shall find out if I am ready or if I am severely underestimating this whole thing.
Original post by Jemy
Hey I thought I would update you on my situation, after some back and forth with them we have agreed in coordination with my school that I will be sitting the IGCSE English as a Fist Language exam this upcoming summer, so next month I will be getting a mock and with the predicted grade, Erasmus will proceed with my application and since I only require a C I do not think it should be too much of a challenge and if they somehow do decide not to make me an offer I can still simply not do it :tongue: .

On another note, I got today my offer from Utrecht, it took me two minutes to realize though it was an offer as they did not bother to write anything along the lines of congratulations or you have been accepted and simply wrote that I have to pass my GCE A-Levels in order to be admitted lmao.

But yeah I shall keep you all further informed on how it goes and I plan on getting this mock out the way asap, and since I am the only student in year 13 it won't be a issue for me to do the mock soon. This weekend after I did a past paper I shall find out if I am ready or if I am severely underestimating this whole thing.

Yeah the Erasmus offer wasn't all "WOO YOU GOT IN" either.
Reply 36
Original post by Jemy

Good luck with that bro! IGCSE First Language shouldn't cause you too much trouble..

And wait Utrecht specifically said all you had to do was pass? And what's a pass to them, above a C?
Reply 37
Yeah the Erasmus offer wasn't all "WOO YOU GOT IN" either.

Tilburg at least said congratulations...

Original post by Abdo332
Good luck with that bro! IGCSE First Language shouldn't cause you too much trouble..

And wait Utrecht specifically said all you had to do was pass? And what's a pass to them, above a C?

Thanks man and I hope so!

Thing is a while back I saw on Utrecht's website that D's were sufficient on their entry requirements, however, today I have been unable to relocate the page, but yeah worst case scenario a C is a pass in their eyes although I am certain that it was D's. Btw did you find out yet what Erasmus considers as a pass by any chance?

UPDATE:

Found the link! I knew I was correct :P

http://www.uu.nl/university/college/EN/admissionsfinance/degreestudents/Pages/CountryDiplomaList.aspx

GCSE plus 3 GCE A-levels are necessary to be admitted to a Dutch University. Scores A - D are admissible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys, I'm applying to International Psychology!
I have a few questions though, cus I'm really worried because my AS Grades weren't that great, however Ive been working really hard and my predicted grades are good. How do I show them my predicted grades so that they don't reject me on the basis of my Ds in AS?

Also, I'm not sure if there are any specific subjects I need? I'm doing A2 Arabic, Maths and French, and AS Biology and Psychology.

Also, finally, I have no idea hw to structure a letter of motivation, can I still use my personal statement or is it completely different? And do I mention the fact that I didn't do well last year, or is that a hug no no?

Thanks guys!
Reply 39
Original post by lailaramzy
Hey guys, I'm applying to International Psychology!
I have a few questions though, cus I'm really worried because my AS Grades weren't that great, however Ive been working really hard and my predicted grades are good. How do I show them my predicted grades so that they don't reject me on the basis of my Ds in AS?

Also, I'm not sure if there are any specific subjects I need? I'm doing A2 Arabic, Maths and French, and AS Biology and Psychology.

Also, finally, I have no idea hw to structure a letter of motivation, can I still use my personal statement or is it completely different? And do I mention the fact that I didn't do well last year, or is that a hug no no?

Thanks guys!

Did you cash your AS grades in? If you didn't do so then you don't even need to list them, however, if you did they should not harm you as long as your predicted grades are solid. Usually every application page/process requires you to upload/send a certified scanned copy of a statement by your school indicating your predicted grades and that's how they see them and make their judgement based on that.

Unless you are going for medicine you should be fine as you are doing maths which usually allows you to do pretty much any degree from what I can recall.

As for the motivational letter expect for Amsterdam (as they had a word count) I used the exactly same thing I used for my personal statement. I only added the name of the Dutch university and city in there for each of them in order to make it look like that I really thought that particular choice through.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending