The Student Room Group

FDM Group - should I be wary?

I've applied to FDM Group as a graduate, looking to get onto their graduate scheme. I applied for the scheme, which involved sending them my CV. First thing the next day, almost dead on 9am, I got an email inviting me to a telephone interview. I had my telephone interview and the person on the phone immediately "passed" me, which means I have been invited to an assessment centre.

I found it strange that I was accepted immediately onto an assessment centre. My CV isn't exactly amazing (all I got was a 2:2 and no relevant work experience, in fact I'm amazed I got an interview in the first place given that every other graduate scheme has rejected me before interview). I didn't give good answers in the telephone interview. I've read up on FDM on the internet and the graduate scheme has received quite a few bad reviews.

Should I be wary or is it all fine? I don't consider myself a strong candidate so I'm puzzled why they accepted me so quickly.
(edited 9 years ago)
bump
I've been to their AC and it is definitely legit, they just play the numbers game. Its pretty industrial, I think they have like 3 ACs per week and from what I saw around 50% pass. I'd say its probably worth a go if you're looking to get in to IT but they make it pretty clear that 1) You don't get paid while you train and 2) they can send you anywhere in the UK once you complete the training. Couple that with the fact that you're tied in for two years and its certainly not for everyone. But if you're really keen to get in to IT and you have no other way in then I would say its probably worth a go.
Original post by MrFingerling
I've been to their AC and it is definitely legit, they just play the numbers game. Its pretty industrial, I think they have like 3 ACs per week and from what I saw around 50% pass. I'd say its probably worth a go if you're looking to get in to IT but they make it pretty clear that 1) You don't get paid while you train and 2) they can send you anywhere in the UK once you complete the training. Couple that with the fact that you're tied in for two years and its certainly not for everyone. But if you're really keen to get in to IT and you have no other way in then I would say its probably worth a go.

are you on there graduate program
No I'm not at the moment but was accepted and thinking about whether to accept or not depending on other opportunities.
Reply 5
Original post by MrFingerling
No I'm not at the moment but was accepted and thinking about whether to accept or not depending on other opportunities.

I had a few friends who received offer confirmations but then declined it. I was a bit confused at first but now I see why. Do you know how long the training is?
Original post by owwwww2
I had a few friends who received offer confirmations but then declined it. I was a bit confused at first but now I see why. Do you know how long the training is?

I think its 3-4 months depending on which stream you're on.
I'm in this situation now, what did you decide?
I've been looking through some linkedin profiles of people who done fdm a lot seem to have very good positions at top companies
the problem is that you have to attend interviews with the other companies , and they will decide whether they will take you on etc.
FDM= Recruitment Agency
Plus you are not guaranteed a job and if they can't find you a job, you will be allowed to leave within 2 years
Original post by Shakedown
the problem is that you have to attend interviews with the other companies , and they will decide whether they will take you on etc.
FDM= Recruitment Agency

As long as you do well in those interviews there is no reason they shouldn't accept you. its in the clients best interest to employ people who have successfully completed the required training they are paying fdm for a service after all.
Plus you are not guaranteed a job and if they can't find you a job, you will be allowed to leave within 2 years

Most graduate schemes require a two year commit as far as I've seen.
I'm just letting you know from experience , avoid FDM unless it's your last resort
well it is nobody is willing to employ due to my personality/lack of experience
I'm just letting you know from experience , avoid FDM unless it's your last resort

Hi

I know the thread is 2 weeks old, but do you mind elaborating on your experience?

I had a recorded interview today, was a bit nervous and failed to elaborate on my answers. I got an email tonight informing me I hadn't passed but I've looked online and supposedly FDM isn't all that it seems.
Hi guys, I'm considering applying for their Business Grad Programme but I'm wondering how much IT knowledge does the programme require? I'm from an arts background with a minor in business + business related work experience but little IT knowledge - is that sufficient for the business grad programme?
Original post by joymcswag
Hi guys, I'm considering applying for their Business Grad Programme but I'm wondering how much IT knowledge does the programme require? I'm from an arts background with a minor in business + business related work experience but little IT knowledge - is that sufficient for the business grad programme?

I don't think any prior IT knowledge is needed for either program so you should be fine especially since it's the business path.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending