The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

What are the bad points about Essex Uni?

Are there any negatives or things the uni need to improve on?

I wanna fully know what I'm getting myself into before making it my firm or insurance
Original post by simmy0403
are there any negatives or things the uni need to improve on?

I wanna fully know what i'm getting myself into before making it my firm or insurance

dont go there

save yourself... i couldnt save the others
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Really? Its not that bad! Main bad points are its a bit far from the station and town, and the SU could do with some more live bands rather than just DJs (personal opinion) - the accommodation is nice, SU is good, and course varies from person to person
Reply 3
When i went to Essex to attend the interview i got a tour of the campus with a few others. I talked to the tour guides (current students) for a bit, asking them about the course, the uni, what societies they are in etc. I then asked if there was a swimming pool and they said no. My heart dropped and i didn't know what to do. Fortunately, i can live without that and Essex is still going to be my firm :colondollar:
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
dont go there

What makes you say that?? I'm considering putting it as my insurance?!
Original post by brilld
Really? Its not that bad! Main bad points are its a bit far from the station and town, and the SU could do with some more live bands rather than just DJs (personal opinion) - the accommodation is nice, SU is good, and course varies from person to person

The chinese dont talk to you. the Greeks dont talk to you. (you attempt to talk to them, but hey, so much for multiculturalism) the Nigerians are spoilt. the brits (so few off them) are off their faces all the time, but the romanians work hard.No one in my class knows ****. a lot of token gestures (lgbt, world international week, feminist movements etc) but no genuine fervor or belief in these ideologies or any real sense of students fighting for anything (the sabbs/VPs are absolutely useless).

Lecturers read off powerpoints (all the info is on them) and the provision of "listen again" makes going to lectures redundant. some Lecturers will go on for half an hour on material that will not come on exam/coursework (they say this after youve taken down the notes; 9000 down the drain).

Conversely, some Lecturers will stifle debate and just drab on whilst you doze your way to sleep. People like to go sports fed every ****ing week like zombies. (pre drinks are madness i want to get pleasantly drunk and have funny/satirical conversations on society like educated people are supposed to not see your nob and hear you sing racist songs) same ****, same crappy music. People are unfriendly as **** (you make eye contact with someone you had a relatively good conversation with one day and the next day they blank (ignore) you).

Too many societies so no sense of inclusion. Sports societies other than lacrosse,football,basketball,netball, rugby, dance, judo are empty as **** and lack ambiance. the sports/societies that are popular are ***** (ebola jokes really?)

yeah nothing good to say really. uhh... the costs of living arent as bad as you'd think?

All in all terrible experience. 0/10
(edited 9 years ago)
dont go there

Strangely, I arrived at this same conclusion in second year. Tried my best not to go Essex
The chinese dont talk to you. the Greeks dont talk to you. (you attempt to talk to them, but hey, so much for multiculturalism) the Nigerians are spoilt. the brits (so few off them) are off their faces all the time, but the romanians work hard.No one in my class knows ****. a lot of token gestures (lgbt, world international week, feminist movements etc) but no genuine fervor or belief in these ideologies or any real sense of students fighting for anything (the sabbs/VPs are absolutely useless).

Lecturers read off powerpoints (all the info is on them) and the provision of "listen again" makes going to lectures redundant. some Lecturers will go on for half an hour on material that will not come on exam/coursework (they say this after youve taken down the notes; 9000 down the drain).

Conversely, some Lecturers will stifle debate and just drab on whilst you doze your way to sleep. People like to go sports fed every ****ing week like zombies. (pre drinks are madness i want to get pleasantly drunk and have funny/satirical conversations on society like educated people are supposed to not see your nob and hear you sing racist songs) same ****, same crappy music. People are unfriendly as **** (you make eye contact with someone you had a relatively good conversation with one day and the next day they blank (ignore) you).

Too many societies so no sense of inclusion. Sports societies other than lacrosse,football,basketball,netball, rugby, dance, judo are empty as **** and lack ambiance. the sports/societies that are popular are ***** (ebola jokes really?)

yeah nothing good to say really. uhh... the costs of living arent as bad as you'd think?

All in all terrible experience. 0/10

This is so accurate, it's not even funny
Original post by mine turtle
This is so accurate, it's not even funny

It is cause it's the same as any other uni. All my friends go to diff unis and say the same stuff (about the lectures), my uni included. However, every uni is different in terms of SU. Is Uni of Essex SU not good then? How was their freshers?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It is cause it's the same as any other uni. All my friends go to diff unis and say the same stuff (about the lectures), my uni included. However, every uni is different in terms of SU. Is Uni of Essex SU not good then? How was their freshers?

Of course the freshers was good but they must throw 3/4 of their budget into that because the rest of year just lacks diversity or ingenuity. Honestly, if you like to listen to never ending dance/trance/dubstep whilst getting of your face every bloody week at clubs where security guards are more likely to assist your assailant as he punches your inebriated face rather than stop him/her from attacking you, then this is the place for you

but for me having some rock or alternative bands would be nice instead of that insufferable drone music. honestly it is impossible to have a fun night sober in a place that only the naive would call a "university". There is no middle ground. you either get plastered or you just dont enjoy it. then again if you get too wasted youll vomit and they'll kick you out. i mean wtf is this culture?
Of course the freshers was good but they must throw 3/4 of their budget into that because the rest of year just lacks diversity or ingenuity. Honestly, if you like to listen to never ending dance/trance/dubstep whilst getting of your face every bloody week at clubs where security guards are more likely to assist your assailant as he punches your inebriated face rather than stop him/her from attacking you, then this is the place for you

but for me having some rock or alternative bands would be nice instead of that insufferable drone music. honestly it is impossible to have a fun night sober in a place that only the naive would call a "university". There is no middle ground. you either get plastered or you just dont enjoy it. then again if you get too wasted youll vomit and they'll kick you out. i mean wtf is this culture?

I personally think rock music was never intended to be in clubs. Maybe a dive bar, but rock music doesn't suit the atmosphere of night clubs.

Essex accommodation looks nice though...
Another point

People are more active online then they are in real life here. honestly the uni of essex freshers page will make comments that make you think that these guys are well rounded individuals and opinionated but dont you dare head into the su bar thinking you can pull up a chair and just mingle. People here are way too awkward for that. not to mention the de facto segregation and rampant sexism...
Reply 12
This is seriously so accurate.
Sounds like some bitter people in here. I've been to visit Essex twice and loved it both times. Lovely views and scenery. Friendly people. The night club is awesome. Cheap drinks. Lots of halls parties and pre-drinking. Lots of fun. Loads of people (especially if you live in towers).

Can't comment on the lectures but seems it's high up on the league tables the lectures can't be too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending